You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I select an area and use any of the blur effects - only the selected are is blurred, but the area outside the selection has bled into the blur, producing a halo effect.  Is this the expected behaviour?  I can work round it, but it's a pain.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

Maybe applying the blur through an adjustment

layer could solve the problem?

www.kodiakmedia.at

TeamViewer: 668 015 544

If personal taste is involved,           Light is free,                       Mother Nature provides the light
discussion is pointless.                   capturing it is NOT.               but talent renders the image.
                                                                                                                        (Charlychuck)

Thanks for the replies.  I'm not concerned about producing something without a halo (I can do that) - the issue is whether AP should use pixels outside the selected area to include in the blur.

Maybe applying the blur through an adjustment

layer could solve the problem?

Blurring isn't available through an adjustment layer.  It can be done through a live filter layer, but it still includes pixels from outside the selection.

Blurring isn't available through an adjustment layer.  It can be done through a live filter layer, but it still includes pixels from outside the selection.

My RAW converter can do through an adjustment layer!

Sorry my idea was not so good!

www.kodiakmedia.at

TeamViewer: 668 015 544

If personal taste is involved,           Light is free,                       Mother Nature provides the light
discussion is pointless.                   capturing it is NOT.               but talent renders the image.
                                                                                                                        (Charlychuck)

AP 1.5.1.54 - I don't know if I'm doing what IanSG as reported but I don't have any bleeding outside de selected area. Using "Filters" or "Live filter" the results are the same. I get the exact same results in PS.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

AP 1.5.1.54 - I don't know if I'm doing what IanSG as reported but I don't have any bleeding outside de selected area. Using "Filters" or "Live filter" the results are the same. I get the exact same results in PS.

Interesting!  I'm using flesh tones against a green background if it makes any difference.  Start by selecting the green background and then apply a blur - the flesh tones bleed into the green, leaving a halo around the subjects. 

<edit>

I've just tried a simple experiment.  Put a white square into an image, merge down, select it and apply a blur - colour bleeds into the square.

I tried a black square on white background with a blue scribble within the black square.

Black square selected, I don't get any 'bleed' outwith the selection when a blur is applied to the selection. However I do get bleed from the white into the black creating a greyish fade round the edges which I wouldn't expect (Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to upload or attach screen shots, can't ever add to my media) anyway this is with a fairly severe blur, far more than I'd do for real. What I'm also seeing is what looks like pretty bad colour banding it's a 16 bit image though.

I also shrunk the selection so it was well within the black area and I still get a colour change and banding around all edges. I wonder if what you are seeing as halo is colour banding.

Regards

Ok, I made another test after reading the above comments. I used the same picture, a person on a couch. If I select the couch only and blur it to the max... no bleed. If I select the room, everything but the couch, then there is some bleeding seen around the couch. I'll leave the experts explain that, as I can't.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

However I do get bleed from the white into the black creating a greyish fade round the edges which I wouldn't expect (Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to upload or attach screen shots, can't ever add to my media) anyway this is with a fairly severe blur, far more than I'd do for real. 

That's exactly what I'm seeing - the extent of the bleed depends on the radius of the blur, but it's noticeable with "real" images. I still don't know whether this is the expected behaviour or if it's a bug though.

I have drawn a picture, see attachment. The question is whether the pixel colors outside of the mask (marked red) should be taken into calculation of the pixel colors inside, weighted by the gaussian curve in this case. I would also think, that they should not. If on the left side the pixels were all black and on the right all white, I would not expect any shade of gray after bluring.

I have created screenshots which display what happens in affinity and GIMP. Both produce gray gradients near the mask border. In Ps there seems to be an option (at least in some filters), whether to bleed or not. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdfQ38YlzeY from 3:05.

Btw. I did not find a way to blur the black square in affinity without introducing bleeding. Tried separate layers, masks, adjustments, no way. I even copied the black box into a new image without any white pixels and without masks. Even there bleeding is introduced, where GIMP keeps the image black. So in therms of non bleeding blurring capabilities of a black box :-) :

1) Ps

2) GIMP

3) AFP

post-32068-0-16544100-1485426554_thumb.png

post-32068-0-49680400-1485455044_thumb.png

post-32068-0-68258300-1485455056_thumb.png

Hi all,

Thanks for your feedback. It does indeed bleed to the selection (Show Pixel Selection unticked).

Photoshop does offer more control here. I'm not sure if call this an improvement or a bug but i will pass it to the dev team to be looked at.

attachicon.gifblur_bleeding.png

Hi MEB,

it also bleeds to the canvas borders:

create new file, add pixel layer, fill black, blur

If the whole thing is by design, maybe the blur filters can get a slider to control the bleeding amount in a future release.

Have you checked Preserve Alpha in the Filter dialog? I'm not getting this with layers...

Maybe i'm missing something?

I am currently not at home, but maybe you are using the live filter, where I have used the static gaussian filter. If it is not reproducible, I will take a second look at it, and will post a youtube clip if I can reproduce it.

Hello,

In Adobe Photoshop is the depth filter, the only filter which does not under the mask, okay the mask must be very clean.

Also in Photoshop all unsharp filters are not used for it.
A typical image processing problem.

When testing from Affinity Photo, I had already noticed, there is no blur filter that can.

Pollux

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.