nosillacast

Tone Mapping Preset Previews Don't Resemble the Effect

I'm working on a tutorial for Affinity Photo, specifically highlighting the new tone mapping and HDR features.  I noticed that the previews of the presets don't look anything like the end result.  The attached image is for a preset I created myself, but the pre-built presets are also looking nothing like their end result.

I feel like I would have noticed this immediately if it had always been this way but I just noticed it today after doing a lot of testing to make sure I knew how it worked.

Hi nosillacast

The thumbnails for the presets seem to be pretty close for me. It seems like you might have not attached your intended image for us to look at. You should be able to do this by going into more reply options

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

This is disastrous. I'm doing a video and it looks ridiculous.  I'm on a short time crunch (of course).

I switched user accounts and it happens there, and I even logged out of both accounts and rebooted my Mac.  Oddly I'm looking at a second image and the preview looks exactly the same as the image when that preset is clicked.   Maybe there's something I'm supposed to have done to the original image to make it act correctly in Photo?

Here's another image showing how weird it looks.  this one has the Default Natural selected but you can see dramatic affects have obviously been applied.  

post-44277-0-49616900-1485371284_thumb.png

Hi nosillacast

Were these images taken with an iPhone 7 or iPad Pro? I have a feeling this may be due to the Apple Wide Colour Sharing profile that the image uses. If you Convert the image to use a different icc profile do the preset thumnbails match better at all?

If not are you able to provide an original image so we can take a look into this further? Feel free to send a link in a PM to me if you want to keep this private

Cheers

Thanks -

The image in question was taken with an Olympus E-M10.  Files are too big for attaching, but here's some Dropbox links:

Here's the TIFF:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1pr1tpai51j5rm3/zion%20for%20tone%20mapping.tiff?dl=0

And here's the .orf:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a6e6u360lh91k7b/Zion%20for%20tonemapping.orf?dl=0

I don't actually know how to use a different icc profile - maybe that was only relevant if it had been an iPhone photo. I am intrigued by your question because I noticed that my iPhone 7 photos don't appear to HAVE a color profile.  Everyone online has been telling me I'm nuts.

Hi nosillacast

Thanks for the files

You can convert the colour profile by going to document > convert ICC profile. if you change it to something like sRGB or Adobe RGB than the preset thumbnails match the image. 

Between the .orf and the tiff there seems to have been some processing. Did you use an external program to develop the raw and save it out as a tiff initially? If so than this app most likely embedded the Apple Wide Colour profile.

You can use the .orf straight in Affinity to both develop and HDR. Also as it has a large bit depth than the 8bit tiff you are using the HDR process will be more effective

Cheers

Sorry for the late response - I've been head down working on my Affinity Photo 1.5 video for ScreenCasts Online!

My workflow was to bring the RAW photo into Apple Photos (a long time ago), and export as a TIFF.  I found the RAW but searching inside the Photos Library by file name.  So I suppose the answer to the question is that Photos could have done some processing.

I changed the color profile to sRGB as you suggested (it was set to Apple Wide Color Sharing Profile.  I presume Photos added that?

Do you have any resources you'd recommend that would explain these color profiles and what they mean?  I can do some searching on my own if you don't.  Thanks for the help and I'll be sure to post when the video is up, I'm pretty pleased with it.