lucas

Affinity Photo Wacom Exception

Hi,

I recently installed Photo 1.5.1.54 on Windows 10 and I can't use it successfully with my Wacom Touch 5. I have the latest stable drivers (6.3.20-5). I keep getting exceptions that cause the application to crash.

The steps to reproduce are:

1. Open a new document (Web, FHD 1080p preset)

2. Select the Paint Brush Tool

3. Paint a bit with the tablet

4. Select another window outside of Photo

5. Select Photo again

6. Start painting

The result is an Unhandled Exception message box with Code: 0x80131516; I've attached a screenshot below.

post-50057-0-36007700-1485324643_thumb.png

I can trigger a similar exception in Designer by following the same repro steps (albeit using different new document settings and the Pencil tool). In the Designer case, the exception is not handled, so I can bring up a debugger. When I do so, I get the following exception details:

System.OverflowException was unhandled
Message: An unhandled exception of type 'System.OverflowException' occurred in Serif.Affinity.dll
Additional information: Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow.

It appears that it's occurring in the following method:

Serif.Affinity.dll!Serif.Affinity.Application.HandlePointerInput

I'm not sure if that's helpful or if these exceptions are even related between the two applications, but I thought I'd include these details, just in case.

Thanks!

Edit: fix typo

Hey lucas,

I think this is definitely linked to your Wacom. I've tried it with a Bamboo and an Intuos 3 and cannot get it to crash. Do you have a full crash report in %AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\CrashReports\

Hi guys,

This has been happening to me for a while, but I only found this thread now. I can confirm the same exception occurs to me with an Intuos Pen & Touch, it can be replicated in the same way, and it affects both Photo and Designer. I just updated the driver to 6.3.21-3 and tried it with and without Windows Ink, but the problem persists.

Are there any news regarding this issue?

Thanks!

- ​Edit

Turns out that deactivating Windows Ink seems to solve the issue on both softwares after all! It didn't seem to work before because I deactivated it by default, but forgot to do the same in the application specific settings.

I could face a similar issue under Windows 8.1. When Affinity photo is up and running and I connect my wacom tablet affinity instantly crashes. The protocoll manager crashes as well, thus no report is generated. When I have the tablet connected to my computer before starting affinity, the computer makes 2 beep the protocol manager crashes and has to be closed. Affinity is not starting at all. 

I used the actual Trail version of Affinity, Windows 8.1 with all new drivers actual today and the wacom intuos tablet. 

But as this topic is lasting for some month already without any further hint, I believe affinity does not feel responsible and therefore they don't care. Minimum estimation would be to get some kind of feedback like we are working on it... 

If this problem persists I can't become a fan of affinity. 

Sorry Hobbit60

If this problem persists I can't become a fan of affinity. 

If the app is crashing as soon as you connect your tablet, this could be due to a .NET update from Microsoft. This thread discusses the issue in more detail - https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/41801-ad-ap-not-starting-after-todays-windows-update-net-framework-47/

So I would recommend visiting the Microsoft website and download the 4.7 .NET update and see if this resolves the issue. I believe this has only been reported for Windows 7 so far however it could affect Windows 8.1.

Hi Chris,

thanks for your feedback. I looked up the files of the net framework and tried to install 4.7 but without success. The updater told me that I have a newer version on my computer already. Thus I checked the datums along the folder tree of .Net. I couldn't find a version 4.7 but I found several folder and files which where changed today and yesterday. Thus I believe the neweset .Net is installed, but the problem remains unfortunatley. 

Any further thoughts? 

Thanks 

Hobbit60

Hey hobbit60,

I'm still convinced it is an issue with .NET

Can you take a peek at this link please - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3186539/the-microsoft-net-framework-4-7-for-windows-8-1-windows-rt-8-1-and-win

If you go into Installed Updates and look for KB3186539 you should be able to uninstall it. Then, re-download it from here - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=825302

We've ran through this process on an affected machine that was confusing itself and this process got it up and running.  

Hey Chris, 

seems this procedure did the trick. Thank you very much for your help. The other program I had the same issue with (ICE from Microsoft) is working fine after this procedure. Now I need to see if Affinity ordered version will behave similar as ICE. 

Again thanks a lot .

Matthias

And meanwhile I have Affinity up and running as well. 

Great job. 

thank you so much...