You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I bought both Affinity Designer and Photo. It didn't cross my mind until I read it somewhere, are we going to pay full price, or to pay at all new versions of both? So what is going to be difference between 1.5 or higher, and 2.0 versions, and what part of the updates are things from Road map changes going to be  - updates or new versions?

Can mods or admins explain this please

• Staff

Hi Nixeldesign :)

You will get all updates for features currently on our RoadMap for free. Once the RoadMap is complete (most likely version 2.0) however you will have the option to purchase again for future updates or keep the version you have :)

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• Staff

Hi nixeldesign,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

That sentence was from the original post in 2014. We didn't end up listing new features (replacements) there and opted to add them directly into the application instead. So all the features currently listed in the roadmap will be added up to version 2.0. Additionally, there may also be some new features not listed there like the new light interface that will be introduced in the next version (1.6) for example, but overall the list covers all the 1.x roadmap only.

Thanks for fast response. Those road map improvements pretty much cover just enough for me to use it for web design but also for printing preps. There are few tools and effects like the ones in AI that would be so useful, especially image tracing, but I hope old customers will have discounts for future new versions :) . I can hardly wait to ditch AI for good.

Cheers!

Hi PeterPanino,

It doesn't have to be either or. it might as well be both and...

Regards

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

• 3 weeks later...

You will get all updates for features currently on our RoadMap for free. Once the RoadMap is complete (most likely version 2.0) however you will have the option to purchase again for future updates or keep the version you have :)

C

wait a sec I smell something weird. in the worst case you may get yourselves sued for false advertising because:

https://affinity.serif.com/de/ui-design-software/

at point 15 it says and I quote:

If you buy Affinity Deigner (exactly - buy. Only pay once, no subscription fees!) you will naturally get all future Updates completely free.

that quote by Callum doesnt sound like "all future updates completely free".

the english version sounds a little bit less boasting about the updates, but still says that updates are included, with no stars or footnotes or anything

Well I thought I was the only one that felt like that. 

If you buy Affinity Deigner (exactly - buy. Only pay once, no subscription fees!) you will naturally get all future Updates completely free.

This part was one of the main reasons I decided to buy software, nowhere said it was limited to anything?

wait a sec I smell something weird. in the worst case you may get yourselves sued for false advertising because:

https://affinity.serif.com/de/ui-design-software/

at point 15 it says and I quote:

that quote by Callum doesnt sound like "all future updates completely free".

the english version sounds a little bit less boasting about the updates, but still says that updates are included, with no stars or footnotes or anything

Updates to an app are not the same as a new version of that app or an upgraded app

Since this is version one then updates mean all updates to version one are free.

Version 2 of AP or AD will most likely be a big leap over version one in order to convince people to upgrade to it and thus are happy to pay for an upgrade.

It's somewhat silly to assume that you would get all new versions of the app for free for the rest of your life. 

Businesses won't survive with that sort of business model.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I partly agree. But it wasn't so clear what that part "all future updates" really meant, the extent of that. 

It would be only fair to call Version 2 software that would be substantially new, different, upgraded that it couldn't be done with simple update of the previous version, ex. - to add one more type of gradient or something like that.

If you are going to convince people to pay for an upgrade then the new version would have to have significant new features or improvements for people to feel happy paying the upgrade cost.   If not, people will just stick with the same version and possibly wait to see what version 3 offers them..

I'm sure Serif knows that too, as shown in their now legacy range of products.  (The Plus range)

So expect wondrous things in version 2 of AP and AD.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

It has been a very well established practice in the software industry to make a distinction between an update & an upgrade for at least a quarter of a century. (Consider Windows 98 vs. later versions, all versions of the 'Classic' Mac OS, every Adobe product ever made, & so on.)

It is a bit late to call foul because Serif/Affinity follows that practice!

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

C

Are we going to get a discount if we already own the 1.x version?

Are we going to get a discount if we already own the 1.x version?

In the past Serif have given discounts to existing users when they upgrade and most other software suppliers do so as well.  It's generally seen as the norm these days.

But it's a bit too early to be talking about version 2 discounts. Besides, for me, whether I upgrade or not will depend solely on what new features are in version 2.

I have in the past skipped new versions of apps if the new features were not something I needed or would have used at the time.

Then again if version 2 introduces some new killer features that are going to make me more productive then the lack of a discount would not prevent me from upgrading.

• Staff

Thanks for everybody's input on this one :) Just to reiterate, version 2 will be a new version, not an update to version 1 - all updates are free and this means within the version you have purchased - this is, as has been pointed out, 100% standard practice for software for the last 20+ years. With regards to upgrade pricing for version 2, well, who knows?... the reality is that our focus is utterly on version 1 and making it into the product we all want it to be. We have not written a single line towards version 2 at this point and I don't imagine that will change for a long time. We set out with the intention of creating fully-featured, professional level software that was fast and fun to use, and we set a price that we thought would be fair so that we could sell it to lots of people and they would all be happy - we intend to keep adding features until it reaches a mature level that we are happy with, then we will start to write version 2...

If we don't put enough into version 2 to make it an attractive purchase at whatever price we may set, then that is our problem - and we will pay the penalty for it, but that's a long time away before we need to even think about it... ;)

Incidentally, perhaps somewhat differently to other software companies, the people involved in writing this software actually use it and enjoy it - and we've also all bought it with our own money as soon as it went on sale. We want the same experience as our customers and we have the same expectations. If we did something that wasn't in the customer's best interests then we'd also be letting ourselves down - and I certainly don't want that...

• 2 weeks later...

well even though the whole update vs upgrade is something people deeply involved with computers should know, the problem is that not everyone is that deeply involved in computers and then again on mac, which is a major platform on affinity, to be exact affinity started on mac (for whatever reason) and ever since 10.6 or whatever all updates/upgrades/whatever were completely free.

and even though version 2 will be a new version it will still be "affinity designer" or "affinity photo" so the phrase "all updates completely free" can be misunderstood.

I have nothing against the practice, it is very understandable and makes sense, you pay for a major version and get all minors included. but advertising language tends to be confusing, sometimes even intentional, although I think (and really hope) that this isnt the case here.

if it would have said something like all updates in version 1.x are free it wouldnt be confusing anymore (and with a link to the roadmap it would be even better since people get quickly to see what present and future features they are paying for without having to search)

My1, I understand what you are saying but MattP's very comprehensive reply directly above yours sets out very clearly Serif's policy on this; all updates to version 1 will be free and when version 2 (eventually) arrives it will be an upgrade and so will be chargeable.

Perhaps this topic/thread could now be deemed "closed"?!!!  No, I'm not seeking to stifle comment; it simply appears to me that any further posting is not going to change in any way what Serif have stated as their sales/update/upgrade policy.

Just my opinion!

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.