You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Second painting with Affinity photo

TonyJ

\working for me nicely now and getting faster. Could do with a brush resize keystroke or mouse function though.

Don't the standard [ and ] shortcut keys work for you, Tony? :unsure:

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Adding to what Alfred said, you can also press ⌃(ctrl) + ⌥ (option/alt) + drag horizontally to set the brush size and vertically to set the brush hardness. The Windows shortcut is different: press and hold ALT + right mouse button + left mouse button + drag horizontally to change brush size and vertically to change brush hardness.

Thanks to TonyJ for the impressive work of art and to MEB for the Windows shortcut "ALT + right mouse button + left mouse button + drag horizontally to change brush size and vertically to change brush hardness."

Just what I was missing - Scandinavian keyboards don't really work with shortcuts involving [ and ].

Lenovo laptop with Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home. Former user of most Serif software from PagePlus 3.0 through PagePlus X9, now enjoying Affinity Designer, Photo, and Publisher.

Stupendous!

www.kodiakmedia.at

TeamViewer: 668 015 544

If personal taste is involved,           Light is free,                       Mother Nature provides the light
discussion is pointless.                   capturing it is NOT.               but talent renders the image.
                                                                                                                        (Charlychuck)

• 3 weeks later...

Well you can import photoshop brushes but then again Affinity has a good enough brush engine to paint whatever you like. i suggest as I did to make a few of your own from affinity tools and get painting. You don't need a lot in reality the brushes really don't matter, the default basic brushes are good enough. Find what you like and tweek in the settings, Fancy brushes are well... not really fancy.. your ability is. That is the bottom line. I paint just as well in affinity as Corel Painter and that cannot be bettered as a brush engine so go figure. hope this  clarifies things. T. What you already have are riches beyond imagining believe me.

Basically I agree with you TonyJ.  But I am almost 70 years old and have dabble with Photoshop and other programs for painting and it even took a long time before I found brushes inside Corel Painter that "worked" for me.  Not sure why but with those particular brushes i was able to see the illusion of what my brush stroke was doing in real time.  Not being a primarily digital artist this illusion capability is something that luckily has been my gift in painting traditionally for the past 50 years.  I have always wanted to work digitally ever since owning my first Commodore Amiga back in the day but I never had much time to devote to digital.  But you are right, it is not so much the tool as the ability of the user of the tool.  By the way, the brushes I used to create this piece and most of my Corel sketches was the "scratchboard" tool and the "just add water" tool.  Between them i could get most any effect I wanted...and have it come close to the results I get in oils and acrylics traditionally.  I am attaching a sketch I did with painter as this is what I would like to get close to with A_Photo.

I am super excited to hear you praise for Affinity and it's capabilities in the hand-paint department.

Love your work and would love to see more pieces you have done.

post-51885-0-33012400-1487197766_thumb.jpg

Well you can import photoshop brushes but then again Affinity has a good enough brush engine to paint whatever you like. i suggest as I did to make a few of your own from affinity tools and get painting. You don't need a lot in reality the brushes really don't matter, the default basic brushes are good enough. Find what you like and tweek in the settings, Fancy brushes are well... not really fancy.. your ability is. That is the bottom line. I paint just as well in affinity as Corel Painter and that cannot be bettered as a brush engine so go figure. hope this  clarifies things. T. What you already have are riches beyond imagining believe me.

...and at this point going OT, unfortunately, I haven't found a way yet to get the same type of brush or equivalent behavior as in PS.

For instance...

Actually, to better rephrase it, there is not yet a way to do it.

So, in other words, "the default basic brushes are good enough" for certain type of use.

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

Basically I agree with you TonyJ.  But I am almost 70 years old and have dabble with Photoshop and other programs for painting and it even took a long time before I found brushes inside Corel Painter that "worked" for me.  Not sure why but with those particular brushes i was able to see the illusion of what my brush stroke was doing in real time.  Not being a primarily digital artist this illusion capability is something that luckily has been my gift in painting traditionally for the past 50 years.  I have always wanted to work digitally ever since owning my first Commodore Amiga back in the day but I never had much time to devote to digital.  But you are right, it is not so much the tool as the ability of the user of the tool.  By the way, the brushes I used to create this piece and most of my Corel sketches was the "scratchboard" tool and the "just add water" tool.  Between them i could get most any effect I wanted...and have it come close to the results I get in oils and acrylics traditionally.  I am attaching a sketch I did with painter as this is what I would like to get close to with A_Photo.

I am super excited to hear you praise for Affinity and it's capabilities in the hand-paint department.

Love your work and would love to see more pieces you have done.

Wow,love the waves and rock details,I always like how when the light hits just right on the waves,the colour(s) look like a coloured glass window you'd see in a restaurants,bars/pubs,and also nice when it can be replicated in paintings.

And Tony's got a nice talent too,that look reminds me of the old sci-fi/D&D's style from paperback books,I like some of those kinds of drawing styles from back then lol.

Basically I agree with you TonyJ.  But I am almost 70 years old and have dabble with Photoshop and other programs for painting and it even took a long time before I found brushes inside Corel Painter that "worked" for me.  Not sure why but with those particular brushes i was able to see the illusion of what my brush stroke was doing in real time.  Not being a primarily digital artist this illusion capability is something that luckily has been my gift in painting traditionally for the past 50 years.  I have always wanted to work digitally ever since owning my first Commodore Amiga back in the day but I never had much time to devote to digital.  But you are right, it is not so much the tool as the ability of the user of the tool. 

1st, Tony J, stopped in on this thread to see what else you had done. Was not disappointed.

&

Hi, michaelws. Also fine work.

I too had an Amiga. My 1st was a 500. Unlike you, I bought it specifically for graphics. I'd been looking at PCs, but when I saw the 4096 color palette the Amiga had, and the sprite animation, my mind was blown.

Later, I was using an image processor called Imagemaster. The programmer had figured out how to extend the Amiga HAM mode, and I could work in full 16 bit color. The down side was that just a single frame w. a large Gaussian blur took so long I could go out and mow both my front and back yard.

I happen to have an old Amiga World from '89. In todays $s, Deluxe Paint was near $300. Pro Draw for vector work close to $400. Sometimes when folks gripe about AD or AP lacking some capability, I wonder what they'd say shelling out 6 - 8 times for apps that do about 1/8the what AD & AP do. And they crashed. A lot.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

I too got my Amiga for graphics.  Deluxe Paint...wow I remember that with the King Tut painting.  And I had a couple of very limited cad/vector programs but don't remember paying that high a price.  But you are correct at how expensive some programs were.  Loved my Amiga...but it got the bad rap for being labeled a "game" machine because it had that separate graphics co-processor.  And constantly switching out floppies.  Time flies.  I loved Animator Apprentice back then...and had lots of dialogue with it's creator...forgot his name momentarily.

Looking forward to playing with Affinity! 

...and at this point going OT, unfortunately, I haven't found a way yet to get the same type of brush or equivalent behavior as in PS.

For instance...

Actually, to better rephrase it, there is not yet a way to do it.

So, in other words, "the default basic brushes are good enough" for certain type of use.

Sorry, If you cannot paint in this you cannot paint. Look I learned to paint before computers existed. Paint or don't but don't complain about tools that are indistinguishable from magic for traditionally  trained artists. Undo is a modern luxury taken for granted for example . You simply cannot go wrong with digital tools it's become so easy and the craft and artifice that you needed to master to produce anything is now redundant. Any struggle that you have with this is of your own making. Disagree and I challenge you to buy oil paints and try to produce anything. 

Sorry, If you cannot paint in this you cannot paint. Look I learned to paint before computers existed. Paint or don't but don't complain about tools that are indistinguishable from magic for traditionally  trained artists. Undo is a modern luxury taken for granted for example . You simply cannot go wrong with digital tools it's become so easy and the craft and artifice that you needed to master to produce anything is now redundant. Any struggle that you have with this is of your own making. Disagree and I challenge you to buy oil paints and try to produce anything. 

Lots of assumptions for someone you don't even know.

Perhaps you should be more humble before judging and re-read my post more carefully and, maybe, even try to understand what was the technical problem I reported.

No challenging needed here, in fact, you are 40 years late, which is when I started drawing and then painting.

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch