You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

So, if I buy now 1.5 and the next mont they get new version 2... I have to spend again ? Right ?

is the same if i buy now and then it's released for ipad? I haven't license too?

Actually I haven't a job and the cheaper solution for me is the best,and multiplatform ,cause

in some day I use mac or ipad and in other days i have a windows pc. Are there others solution?

Other software you can tell me to do this?

• Staff

We are expecting our 1.6 update to be released around easter, followed by 1.7 and so on. If and when decide to do a major upgrade, as in 2.X this would be paid for upgrade, which again would receive free updates.

Hi, mairotto!

The licensing terms for the Affinity apps are very nearly the same as for other similar commercial products in that major upgrades like from 1.x to 2.x versions are paid, while minor -- & for Affinity not so minor -- updates are free. Lee's "if & when" qualifier will almost certainly apply eventually, but so far they have been very generous about adding major feature improvements in free updates that just about all their competitors would charge for ... or like Adobe, require a subscription with a monthly fee to get.

While the licenses are per platform, they are also comparatively inexpensive & currently on offer for 20% off. It was recently mentioned in another topic that this discount will expire at the end of the month, so you may want to consider that.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

If?? :o

Also ... Easter???  :o

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hi, mairotto!

The licensing terms for the Affinity apps are very nearly the same as for other similar commercial products in that major upgrades like from 1.x to 2.x versions are paid, while minor -- & for Affinity not so minor -- updates are free. Lee's "if & when" qualifier will almost certainly apply eventually, but so far they have been very generous about adding major feature improvements in free updates that just about all their competitors would charge for ... or like Adobe, require a subscription with a monthly fee to get.

While the licenses are per platform, they are also comparatively inexpensive & currently on offer for 20% off. It was recently mentioned in another topic that this discount will expire at the end of the month, so you may want to consider that.

Except that other software are multiplatform and doesn't require a new licence to use it depending of the OS. I'm using Windows at home and Mac at my work and I'm really frustrated because I have to buy the software licence twice (+ Major updates when it will be released). I don't know why Affinity is only available on mac store for mac users. There is no problem to be on it but it would be great for people that use Windows and Mac to buy licence directly on the website. 

Even if the software are cheap, it can become really expensive if you need to upgrade both software (3 software soon with publisher) on both platform.

Except that other software are multiplatform and doesn't require a new licence to use it depending of the OS.

Microsoft Office requires separate purchases. Adobe will happily sell you a monthly or yearly subscription for a multi-platform license for some of its products but it isn't cheap & you don't own the license; in effect you only rent it. Often, commercial software is "multi-platform" only in the sense that you are allowed to transfer your license from one platform to the other.

Do the math. Try to find commercial software of comparable power (& support) that costs less for multi-platform use.

Affinity Photo 

For Microsoft office the software and iteration are different from mac and windows. Concerning affinity it's the exact same software with same iteration. And you mention some example. I can also give you some. Look at sublime text, You purchase one licence and you can use it on any platform you like.And doing the math it can cost me more than 200 dollars for all the app on both platform. I choose affinity because adobe is insanely expensive. But you can't argue that having to run affinity software on windows and mac is also expensive. If only you can give a discount or something to buy the software on another platform, it would be cool.

Concerning affinity it's the exact same software with same iteration.

Actually, that is not true. They have tried to preserve feature parity across the two platforms as much as is possible but the software code itself is of necessity substantially different & is being developed by two different teams. Since that greatly increases development costs, for the company to remain in business (& to continue to be able to offer free updates), there is no way they could sell cross-platform licenses without charging much more for them.

On the Mac side, they also would need to develop versions with some alternative anti-piracy provisions to replace the ones built into MAS purchases, also increasing costs because there would be three variants (Windows, Mac-MAS, & Mac non-MAS) to support. That in turn would necessitate different variants of the customer betas. They also would have to pay for hosting services to replace or supplement those provided by Apple for MAS purchases, & so on.

The bottom line is, like the saying goes, there is no free lunch -- one way or another customers have to pay a fair price for high quality software development, distribution, & support. If you take a little time to browse through this forum you will find that the overwhelming majority of users think Affinity's prices are more than fair, that they are in fact unusually good bargains.

Affinity Photo 

I agree with the fact that the priceis fair if you are working in the same environment. I have Affinity Designer and Photo on my Windows laptop (I also bought the Affinity Designer Book) and I can't deny this is a great software for its price. But it's really frustrating to buy a licence and not to be able to use the software wherever you want. I can't use Affinity at my work because it's a Mac. I would agree to buy a packages including Mac and Windows version for a fairly higher price than the normal licence and I'm not the only one to think this way (I already saw some posts pointing the same problem).  For now, there is no alternative of buying a second licence to use it on both platfofm. I'm not complaining about the price, I'm complaining about the lack of flexibility of Affinity concerning cross-platform.

I'm not complaining about the price ...

It seems to me that is what you are doing. You are asking for a discount price, one less than the current cost of buying the apps individually. It is hard to interpret that as anything other than a complaint about that price.

Affinity Photo 

Sorry for missunderstanding. I meant "getting a discount on the second licence".

For example, if I buy Mac version, get a discount on Windows version and vice versa. 

I just dont want to buy the same software at the full price only to use it on different platform.

Sorry for missunderstanding. I meant "getting a discount on the second licence".

For example, if I buy Mac version, get a discount on Windows version and vice versa. 

I just dont want to buy the same software at the full price only to use it on different platform.

But do you understand that this is not really the same software & that offering a discount like this would necessitate a higher initial price for everyone?

Affinity Photo 

• Staff

Liolyne,

I can't use Affinity at my work because it's a Mac.

If it was for work use then you should not use it at work without another licence even if it was a Windows OS! The licence is personal or business (or educational). https://affinity.serif.com/license

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Oh my. I guess most of the members of this forum have not experienced the era of fees required of each user on each workstation. Indeed, if one worked on two workstations of the same OS, it was two different licenses. The same three people working on three workstations required nine licenses! A big advance came with the hardware lock—a device that plugged into the parallel port that allowed access to the program. Now three users still needed three such locks, but the lock could be carried from workstation to workstation. Oh, if the lock were lost, one was required to repurchase the program at full price. Then there was the UNIX licensing daemon that required constant feeding every few months as subscriptions expired and required reactivation—those codes were very long and complicated. Those were sure great times. ;-)

I am delighted with Serif's exceedingly reasonable pricing policy!

Cheers,

Joseph

Solly

JFSJ

N3MKH

I am old enough to remember those very restrictive licenses ... and that free bug fixes & feature upgrades were few & far between. Even the "free" updates usually required ordering a new set of installer disks, typically with "shipping & handling" fees that added up over the life of the product.

Affinity Photo 

Liolyne,

If it was for work use then you should not use it at work without another licence even if it was a Windows OS! The licence is personal or business (or educational). https://affinity.serif.com/license

It says on that page: "[if you are a private individual] Commercial use is permitted but only use by you and not by any other users of any Windows Computers that you own or control." It seems perfectly reasonable to interpret this as covering a computer which your employer has provided for your sole use; the words "or control" would not be included if ownership were the deciding factor.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

It says on that page: "[if you are a private individual] Commercial use is permitted but only use by you and not by any other users of any Windows Computers that you own or control." It seems perfectly reasonable to interpret this as covering a computer which your employer has provided for your sole use; the words "or control" would not be included if ownership were the deciding factor.

I think what Patrick was focusing on was the "I can't use Affinity at my work" part of the post, the assumption being this is a different computer (at a different location) from the Windows laptop.

Affinity Photo 

Liolyne,

No it's not

It's personal AND commercial use (by one individual)

or

Commercial Enterprise use for one specific individual or multiple individuals on a single shared PC

or

Educational use

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

If an employer has provided a computer for the sole use of an employee/contractor or whoever then it is still the employer who has the ultimate control over the computer as they own it and can reassign it's use at any time. 

So in cases like this the employer would have to purchase a license.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff

I agree Carl, but in my experience most people say "at work" when they work for someone else, so a purchase for personal use rarely stretches to a license for use "at work". I was being general although as has been pointed out it can cover commercial use for the individual.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

If an employer has provided a computer for the sole use of an employee/contractor or whoever then it is still the employer who has the ultimate control over the computer as they own it and can reassign it's use at any time. 

So in cases like this the employer would have to purchase a license.

If you are the owner of the computer (whether or not you are an employer) then of course you have ultimate control over the computer unless someone has taken possession of it and denied you access! As I said in the post that you quoted, the words "or control" would not be included if ownership were the deciding factor: if your employer reassigns the use of "your" computer to someone else, then you clearly no longer have control of it, but until that time the computer is one which you control but do not own.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)