You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New character and recording creation history!

Malcolm

I was trying to record the process of creation in AF and AD for this new character to share on social media.

I manually scrubbed through the history whilst recording a section of the screen with Quicktime. Then created the gif with GifBrewery.

Got me thinking - making recordings form history and sharing could be a very cool bonus feature.  :)

post-6493-0-74538500-1485249658_thumb.gif

Cool indeed. The black/white/grey scale is well done.

I've wondered about making an animation from history myself. Seems like it would be very useful.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Damn! That's a brilliant idea. I did ask about a recording feature before and they said it was a cool idea and something they'd think about (sorry if I'm putting words in the mouths of the AD guys).

I'm gonna pinch this idea next time I create a creature. Might be worth saving my files with History from now on.

It's grerat to see your artwork progress and see the changes and tweaks as you made them. Great design too! Can I ask wat the reason was to shade the initial sketch with white before you went to vectors?

Thanks again for the great tip.

George

eejits: a curious collection o' creatures - www.eejits-online.co.uk 

SUPPORT eejits on PATREON. Exclusive Content & Rewards available! www.patreon.com/eejits

Get some awesome unique eejits merchandise at https://www.eejits-online.co.uk/shop

For people who want to give it a go here are a few more tips.

• Turn on 'save history with file' before you start.
  • Think about the background you want, you might not be able to change this later.
  • Up the amount of history that is saved in preferences, otherwise the history at the start will be removed when you go over the limit.
  • Use multiple versions of a file for different treatments. Sketch, blocking out, shading etc.
  • When recording your screen/screen section stretch out the history tab to make it very wide, you'll get finer control over the playback.
  • If performance is an issue minimise all other tabs/windows, so it's just the history - layers especially - they may try to update as you scrub.
  • Scrub slowly when recording and then speed up the footage in a video editing tool.

People like to see the creation process on social media etc, just look at the number of speed modelling vids on youtube. This could be a cool tool for users (not needing screen recording software and the performance overhead) and a nice way for Affinity D&P to be spread more widely.

Let's be honest though, it's a nice-to-have feature for a few of us, so I won't hold my breath!!!  :D

It's grerat to see your artwork progress and see the changes and tweaks as you made them. Great design too! Can I ask wat the reason was to shade the initial sketch with white before you went to vectors?

Thanks again for the great tip.

George

Hi George, just how I finish the sketch process and test some very quick lighting. I'd do a whole bunch of characters before picking the one/s that get taken further. It's for my game - Storm the Train. 

For people who want to give it a go here arena few more tips.

• Turn on 'save history with file' before you start.
  • Think about the background you want, you might not be able to change this later.
  • Up the amount of history that is saved in preferences, otherwise the history at the start will be removed when you go over the limit.
  • Use multiple versions of a file for different treatments. Sketch, blocking out, shading etc.
  • When recording your screen/screen section stretch out the history tab to make it very wide, you'll get finer control over the playback.
  • If performance is an issue minimise all other tabs/windows, so it's just the history - layers especially - they may try to update as you scrub.
  • Scrub slowly when recording and then speed up the footage in a video editing tool.

Thanks for the pointers.

I've made a few wobbly 1st steps recording QT .movs, and editing them. This gives me a bit of a boost.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet