You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Media browser functionality

First off: I am very happy with the overall functionality of Affinity Photo for Mac (Latest version) and love that I can walk away from Adobe. My only issue is that I find the media browser to be virtually useless. Why can it not be more functional where I can choose a directory much like in Finder and have it open? I can drag an entire drive into the browser but any of the folders cannot be dragged into the area where I can easily browse through them?

Why is the functionality so much more complicated than Adobe Bridge? Why can there not be the simple functionality of clicking on a folder and having the browser open it?

Also, as a dual monitor user it appears that simple functionality has been ignored with the Media Browser. If I open one of my drives on the main monitor and click to drag the folder into the browser, the browser disappears from my secondary monitor and I have to click on Photo's icon in my dock to bring it back so I can drag that folder into the browser. Who thought THAT was a good idea?

• Staff

Hi fteifeld,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The Media Browser is indeed much more limited than Adobe Bridge. It wasn't intended to be a full fledged media browser but more of a quick way to access common Apple libraries like iPhoto, Apple Photos, Aperture etc and a few folders you may add to it. It's based on third party code. Just give the dev teams some time. Hopefully there will be improvements and/or a better alternative/option in the future.

Thank you for your response. I don't use Photos or iPhoto primarily because I don't need them but it would be nice if it could at least be "fixed" to a point where it remains visible on a secondary monitor. Also, I noticed what may be a bug in it which is wen I add another folder/ drive the display of all of them goes completely blank and doesn't come back until I close and reopen the media browser.

I'm not aware of how much the majority of professionals out there use Photos/iPhoto but I'm fairly sure the professional community that Affinity is trying to capture would greatly appreciate it.

Should I assume that your lack of response to my post of two days ago means thats all there is to be said about the subject? I'll put it in simple terms- The media browser is a miserable excuse for an actual browser. The fact that its based on third party code is of no interest to be to be honest with you. Poor implementation is just that and I have been holding out the hope that I would finally be able to walk away from Photoshop completely but the lip service about providing a "Professional" alternative seems to be just that.

I am greatly disappointed in how this is being handled and have serious doubts of my continuing to invest even the small amount In Affinity Photo if this is whats considered the slightest bit "Professional".

"Hopefully there will be improvements and/or a better alternative/option in the future." is no answer.

I requested that for more than a year as well 

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/5336-file-system/?p=34539

and a DAM will be done

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/13792-dam-affinity-lightroom-killer-request/?p=61067

I assume/ hope/ expect that it will also allow for easy browsing like bridge but until then Bridge is your best (and free) bet.

there are countless threads about DAM/ browsing options as shown here

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/15130-what-app-to-store-and-organize-my-pics/?p=67968

cheers 

Also, I noticed what may be a bug in it which is wen I add another folder/ drive the display of all of them goes completely blank and doesn't come back until I close and reopen the media browser.

This does not happen for me, although I have only tried it with folders from my startup drive. What I have noticed is that it can take considerable time to load the images from an iPhoto or Photos library category or album, & that the same is true for the Apple-provided browser available from the Open menu sidebar "Media" section in Affinity & other apps coded to support that. From this I assume this is a system level limitation, not something Affinity can do anything about.

Regardless, I consider the Affinity Media Browser as useful only for accessing image files in Apple's various app libraries (Photos, iPhoto, PhotoBooth, etc.) without having to open those apps & doing some kind of export or external editor setup from within them -- basically, a convenience feature of very limited value for anything else.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7