You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Find and Replace Text

Just now, hujikoda said:

As everybody, facing the same trouble, for some reason all my apostrophes are single quote. Got to replace them all manually.
Cool to know that it's coming up, but any idea when?

Well the original post was made in 2014 - So I'm not getting my hopes up it will be anytime soon! 

**********************************************************************************
Partner at www.printfx.co.uk - Low cost printing at great prices!

**********************************************************************************

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 2/27/2019 at 4:33 PM, leethomas said:

Well the original post was made in 2014 - So I'm not getting my hopes up it will be anytime soon! 

Gosh, I was about to add my vote to this and saw the date of the original post... :(

But anyway, another user that would like to see this here! 👋

• 1 month later...
On 11/24/2014 at 10:28 PM, MEB said:

Hello Mr. K,

Welcome to Affinity Forums.

No, currently there isn't a find/replace text functionality in Affinity Designer. This is mainly a vector/raster hybrid app so it may take a while to include such functionality. Affinity Publisher, our desktop publishing solution (available as beta in 2016) is more suited to deal with large quantities of text and more likely to offer search/replace functions.

MEB any news? If Publisher is better to deal with text. Replacing a character isn't a that advanced, even LibreOffice Draw has it.

It would be hugely helpful, but I'm assuming that if they've not added since requesting back in 2014, it's unlikely to every happen.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

+1 for this functionality.

I primarily use AD to create large game maps that are overlaid with a grid of hexagons, each of which is individually numbered with a text box. Renumbering hundreds of text boxes one at a time is an onerous task that would be made a lot easier with a simple find and replace.

Thanks!

Designer is the best replacement for CreatureHouse Expression!

macOS Monterey, Affinity Designer 1.10.5 Photo 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mostly Designer and Publisher)

CPU: 3.1 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 1867MHz, Graphics: Intel Iris 6100 1536 MB

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

+1 to merge all 3apps into 1, so we can use ALL functionality across the board. It crazy how many times I find myself going back to CorelDRAW just to do some simplest tasks. Or better I do something in Designer, and my client asks me to do something and I'm like sure I can do it, just to realise im not able to but I have to switch to Photo to make 1 adjustment, and than back to Designer, and if Im on my iPad it's even worse... this is crazy.

51 minutes ago, mrqasq said:

+1 to merge all 3apps into 1, so we can use ALL functionality across the board. It crazy how many times I find myself going back to CorelDRAW

Just buy all 3 apps, and you can easily switch between them when you need functionality from one of the others. And then for many projects, you can just work in Publisher and use the Photo or Designer Persona when you need those functions, rather than switching between the apps. If they provided a merged app it would probably cost 3x as much, anyway, so just buy all 3 and you have what you want, now.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 minutes ago, ikarus said:

WTF???
There's no Find and Replace function in Affinity Designer!!!

I just came to question where it was.

I can't believe it...

Don't get your hopes up... this thread started in 2014! 

My understanding (and this goes back to PagePlus and DrawPlus days) is that Designer is essentially a digital drawing app, and can be used for short, graphic-heavy publications. Anything text-heavy would be better done in Publisher, which is a dedicated multi-page document set-up app.

Whilst Find & Replace might be handy in designer, I can see why it might not be there. Right tool for the job???

Ali 🙂

Hobby photographer.
Running Affinity Suite V2 on Windows 11 17" HP Envy i7 (8th Gen) & Windows 11 MS Surface Go 3 alongside MS365 (Insider Beta Channel).

Just now, Ali said:

My understanding (and this goes back to PagePlus and DrawPlus days) is that Designer is essentially a digital drawing app, and can be used for short, graphic-heavy publications. Anything text-heavy would be better done in Publisher, which is a dedicated multi-page document set-up app.

Whilst Find & Replace might be handy in designer, I can see why it might not be there. Right tool for the job???

I agree, but designer does have text functionality - therefore anything with text in would be a useful feature to have "find and replace". 

1 minute ago, Ali said:

I don't agree with that opinion. Find and replace is an essential function almost in every program... and also fundamental when designing, while there are many repetitive designs with text that you can do (i.e. labels). This lack is unfair and stupid. I now have many hours to do a task that should take a couple of minutes.

8 minutes ago, Ali said:

Anything text-heavy would be better done in Publisher, which is a dedicated multi-page document set-up app.

Anything multi-page would be better done in a layout app such as Publisher, but apps like Designer are ideally suited to the creation of things such as posters, which may well be text-heavy.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

but apps like Designer are ideally suited to the creation of things such as posters, which may well be text-heavy.

As I'm sure you know, if a user owns both Publisher and Designer, that poster can be done just as easily in Publisher, which give the advantage of having the other text-related improvements that are only present in Publisher, too.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

6 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

As I'm sure you know, if a user owns both Publisher and Designer, that poster can be done just as easily in Publisher, which give the advantage of having the other text-related improvements that are only present in Publisher, too.

Yes, of course, but a user who only has Designer might reasonably expect to have features such as F&R available for text-heavy projects.

Alfred spacer.png

14 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Yes, of course, but a user who only has Designer might reasonably expect to have features such as F&R available for text-heavy projects.

Yes, but that user would be better buying/using Publisher for that purpose. Right tool, after all, and for the Affinity suite the current "right tool" for anything text heavy is Publisher.

-- Walt
PC:

31 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Yes, but that user would be better buying/using Publisher for that purpose. Right tool, after all, and for the Affinity suite the current "right tool" for anything text heavy is Publisher.

I can't understand why you make an effort so hard on defending the lack of what in fact is an absolute standard tool in any program out there.

Illustrator has it.
Corel Draw has it.
Inkscape has it.
Freehand has (or had) it.

Do you need me to continue?

Affinity Publisher may be an excellent program to edit books, leaflets and so on, but what are you telling us? That we cannot work in designs with lots of texts in Affinity Designer? That we cannot work on designs with repetitive pieces on them? What about labels, tickets, checks...?

There's no excuse.

If you want to request this as a future feature in Designer, then add your request in the correct forum, which is here: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/53-feedback-for-affinity-designer-on-desktop/

Ali 🙂

Hobby photographer.
Running Affinity Suite V2 on Windows 11 17" HP Envy i7 (8th Gen) & Windows 11 MS Surface Go 3 alongside MS365 (Insider Beta Channel).

4 minutes ago, Ali said:

If you want to request this as a future feature in Designer, then add your request in the correct forum, which is here: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/53-feedback-for-affinity-designer-on-desktop/

There’s no need for a new thread about this.

Alfred spacer.png