You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Find and Replace Text

• Staff

Hello Mr. K,

Welcome to Affinity Forums.

No, currently there isn't a find/replace text functionality in Affinity Designer. This is mainly a vector/raster hybrid app so it may take a while to include such functionality. Affinity Publisher, our desktop publishing solution (available as beta in 2016) is more suited to deal with large quantities of text and more likely to offer search/replace functions.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I just installed and started up Designer for the first time and opened an illustrator created document. and Find and replace was literally the first thing I looked for when I opened this illustrator document for my work. I had design some package labels for a series of Automotive fuses and they print them out 16 on a sheet of Avery Labels, so my document has 16 of the same stickers. Product A is different from Product B, so using two different sheets for those requires 54 different text changes. 3 per sticker. Using designer for this wold turn my 5 second task into, possibly 2 hours, because I'd do a little. Get up, walk around. Do a little, complain, check the fridge for food, do a little...you get the idea. 

PLEASE add a find and replace text feature. $50 a month to Adobe is killing my soul. 

• 7 months later...

Not running beta software yet. Also, sounds like a good plan. Once 1.5 comes out, I need to keep that workflow in mind. But still find/replace would be nice to have in Designer. I'm dying to use Publisher when it comes out but it would slow things down for me if I have to switch just to do find/replace.

• 1 year later...

I'm shocked at the basic features missing from Affinity software, this is a classic example. First mentioned 2014, now it's 2018 and still not added nor is there any sign of Publisher, Beta or otherwise.

Also simple bullets and numbered lists isn't available. Hopefully I don't find too many more basic functions missing as I am really starting to regret my decision to swap from Adobe to Affinity at this point in time.

To top of the misery I need to purchase everything twice to cover myself both on Windows and Mac.

It's been a real disappointment so far.

There is a short preview video here in the forum (several times referenced if you do a search) which shows at least that they are still working on a Publisher version. Related to text find/replace, bullets and numbered lists, this has to be done all in the actual state of the software (AD/AP) manually.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 hour ago, petriknz said:

Also simple bullets and numbered lists isn't available. Hopefully I don't find too many more basic functions missing as I am really starting to regret my decision to swap from Adobe to Affinity at this point in time.

Bullets and numbering is due to make its first appearance in Affinity Publisher. Unlike some other features which will be introduced in APub, we’ve been told that it will subsequently be added to the other apps in the suite.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Bumping this!!

I have never ever saw or used a design app that dont have any "find and replace" function.. Even simple Notepad have it...

I dont know which "director" decided "find and replace" is not needed in a design application, but he should be fired for lack of vision and the function should be added ass soon as possible.. This stupid lack of a basic function is the only thing keeping our design firm to switch to affinity from Illustrator..

For the love of God!.. fix this!!

• 1 month later...

I'm adding my voice to this - As I have 180 different button text to update on 1 document - this is going to be a LONG process - with "Find and Replace" this would be done really quickly. 

Please sort this in AD!

**********************************************************************************
Partner at www.printfx.co.uk - Low cost printing at great prices!

**********************************************************************************

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am really surprised that this feature is not available.  Affinty Designer, to my surprise, opens my CS3 and CC files without any problems.  But yet, Find and Replace is missing?  I print labels that need a batch number changed every time I print.  Like others, I find making manual changes to be very time consuming and unnecessary.  Please add this feature soon. 

C'mon Affinity - Why hasn't this been implemented yet? This original post was back in 2014!! 

51 minutes ago, leethomas said:

C'mon Affinity - Why hasn't this been implemented yet? This original post was back in 2014!! 

FWIW, there is a Find and Replace Studio panel in the Affinity Publisher public beta, so it is likely that feature will be added to the other Affinity apps in the not too distant future.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Just now, R C-R said:

FWIW, there is a Find and Replace Studio panel in the Affinity Publisher public beta, so it is likely that feature will be added to the other Affinity apps in the not too distant future.

Let's hope so!! 

• 1 month later...