You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Tools shortcuts behaviour

Hello everyone!

I'd like to request a feature:

Pressing a shortcut to select a tool shouldn't select the standard tool for that key, but rather the tool that has been used last for that key.

For example:

When using the

"Inpainting Brush Tool", after clicking B for the "Paint Brush Tool", clicking J will not select "Inpainting Brush Tool" again, but rather the "Healing Brush Tool".

This means, I have to cycle through all the tools to jump back and forth from "Inpainting Brush Tool" and "Paint Brush Tool".

I think the behaviour could be optimized when Photo and Designer use the last tool that has been selected when pressing a shortcut. It would allow a faster workflow.

Best wishes,

Shu

If the tool isn't in a group and you press its shortcut key twice, the second keypress selects the previous tool again. So if you've been using the Inpainting Brush Tool and you've pressed B to switch to the Paint Brush Tool, just press B again to go back to the Inpainting Brush Tool.

You can also customize the keyboard shortcuts to give the Inpainting Brush Tool (or any other tool in a group) its own shortcut.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

@Alfred

Thanks for your reply! However, I do need the groups to access the different tools. For now, I deleted all the other tools from keyboard shortcut J so that Inpainting Brush Tool will always be selected on J. Unfortunately, this way, I have no more shortcuts for any other tools that used to be assigned to J, though.