You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Budget Graphics Display Tablet or Wacom for AD & AP

I know graphics tablets questions have been asked a heap of times but looking at buying one for a project I have coming in February so need to know I'm getting kit that works first time.

So my question is this: Will budget graphics display tablets such as XP-Pen 10 or Parblo Coast10 work and play well with Affinity software, or are they a disaster? Ive heard drivers can be tricky.

I would like the Wacom Cintig 13HD but £600 is a lot of money to pay out in a very skint January.

Some free advi$e, worth every penny :)

Before I bought my regular tablet, I did some research, and most of the reports said that most modern tablets readily meet the same response and resolution as the top end, i.e. Wacom. So I bought one that was about 1/3 the cost of the Wacom. I suppose that the price was low in order to compete w. Wacom. One question yet to be answered is will the hardware and soft last for as long.

I have to suppose that a display tablet, which adds the display to the touch interface, might be more likely to suffer hardware failure.

I've used my regular tablet w. the graphics apps I have. It was usable in all of them. AD was fine. Perhaps a little slower using vector brushes. 

My guess is that the more economical options will not be a disaster, assuming there are no general reports about OS problems.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Some free advi$e, worth every penny :)

Before I bought my regular tablet, I did some research, and most of the reports said that most modern tablets readily meet the same response and resolution as the top end, i.e. Wacom. So I bought one that was about 1/3 the cost of the Wacom. I suppose that the price was low in order to compete w. Wacom. One question yet to be answered is will the hardware and soft last for as long.

I have to suppose that a display tablet, which adds the display to the touch interface, might be more likely to suffer hardware failure.

I've used my regular tablet w. the graphics apps I have. It was usable in all of them. AD was fine. Perhaps a little slower using vector brushes. 

My guess is that the more economical options will not be a disaster, assuming there are no general reports about OS problems.

So your tablet is one of the lower cost Chinese "copies" of the Wacom tablets? I'm just worried about forking out cash for the wrong kit.

David, I very recently bought a HUION 610Pro when Amazon were running a special deal.  I have absolutely no cause to regret the decision to buy; it works perfectly for me in both Photo and Designer, using Win 10.

Perhaps I need to add that I am no expert with either the programmes or the tablet!

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

So your tablet is one of the lower cost Chinese "copies" of the Wacom tablets? I'm just worried about forking out cash for the wrong kit.

I have a Huion 1409. It cost about 1/4 of a comparable Wacom, but only has about 1/3 the pressure sensitivity. No major down sides. The drawing surface is a little slicker than I like. I'm not sure how long the wireless pen keeps its charge.

Small upside, the wireless transmitter, about a half inch long, has 8 G of memory, so makes a convenient place to duplicate my work

Before I bought it, I was able to find positive reviews of earlier models, no major negatives. I supported both Mac and Windows machines at my job, and on the Mac side, there were rarely few  device compatibility probs. Windows seems to have gotten better, but I would be sure to review any products that do not have well established reputations.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet