You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Layers thumbnail size and background

Request: Changing layers thumbnail size and transparent checkerd background, please!

The very tiny layer thumbnail is no good for a quick visual while searching for the right layer. I use to give all layers a name, but sometimes while I am cutting an pasting line art from layer to layer, it is just too hard to find out where to go... and the very ark background makes it impossible to distinguish the line art from the thumbnail background.

Three different thumbnail sizes like Small, Normal and Large would be nice. A background like in ClipStudio would be even better (see attached file)! But both, it would be great!

Thank You!

post-32046-0-82615100-1485103062_thumb.png

• 9 months later...

+1 for user control over size of thumbnail.

+1 for control over background of thumbnails…

Generally I am drawing on a white page, so it seems very odd that the thumbnails are shown on black.

Ideally a global choice of black / white / transparent (checker board) would seem to cover all bases!

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

• 1 month later...

This is an old thread, but rather than creating a new one, I thought I'd revive it and add my:

+1

My eyesight isn't what it used to be, so having the option to change the thumbnail sizes would be great. Perhaps even the icons on the toolbar as well. I use the PC version of AP.

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 1/22/2017 at 11:37 AM, Henry Stahle said:

Changing layers thumbnail size 

It's implemented in the 1.7 beta. (A transparent/checkerboard background is, too.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

It's implemented in the 1.7 beta. (A transparent/checkerboard background is, too.)

From  Affinity Designer Windows Customer Beta - 1.7.0.251:

• Added option to change layer thumbnail size (small, medium, large)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jdomainer said:

Where in Affinity Photo Beta Win 10 version, is the option to change layer thumbnail size (small, medium, large) ?

Look in the Hamburger menu for the Layers panel.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

15 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Look in the Hamburger menu for the Layers panel.

Alternatively, look in the Layers panel for the Hamburger menu! :P

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

25 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Alternatively, look in the Layers panel for the Hamburger menu! :P

“Would you like your hamburger with a layer of lettuce and tomato?”:9_innocent:

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

Had a quick look at the 1.7 beta today, because one of my pet peeves of Photo are the small layer thumbnails in pre 1.7. When I first saw this mentioned as an improvement, my spirits skyrocketed...!

...only to crash and fizzle out. Three fixed thumbnail sizes? Even Photoshop offers up to 80px. (which is still too small a max)

I hate to be a party pooper, but... Why limit the software to only three fixed layer thumbnails sizes, of which the largest one is still too small (62x62px) for many users, screens, and use cases? Why not introduce a seamless slider and a minimum of 5 presets, and an upper limit of at least 192px or even 256px?

Well, I suppose it's an improvement. It is better than before, and usable as opposed to pre 1.6. A bit of a missed opportunity.