You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer: stroke inside results in visible background outline

Any idea about this?

It's a curve with an inside stroke but for some reason the background color is shown on the outside by a very thin line.

You'd think this is such a micro thin line you can barely see it on vector display but when you export this to bitmap (png) this line becomes even more visible.

It's a simple rectangle with stroke inside 2px. Converted to a curve. None of the other properties have this problem, only the inside stroke. 

4b8b6048a690513070c97c40355db18196d02334

Hardware
 Mac mini (late-2014), 2.6GHz, 16GB RAM, Intel Iris 5100 Graphics  iPad Air 16GB White

Software I love, and you should get :wink:
Affinity Desinger - Affinity Photo - Sketch - Coda - CodeKit - iA Writer - Dropbox - 1Password

I see this too (with the fill color showing as a very thin line, rather than the background color, if there is one). I also see some odd blocky artifacts in the stroke if I zoom in to extreme magnification levels.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I've noticed something similar in various files. I suspect it is a rendering artifact. When I zoom in repeatedly, the thin line is slightly pixelated, then smooths out. But no matter what level of magnification, it doesn't get any thicker on screen. Doesn't make any difference if the shape has been converted to curves, or not.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Did a test, the only blue contour i see in 1.5.2.54 is if i have the object selected.

I might have seen this happen if you have stroke set to anything other than "None" with no stroke set "0 px".

post-44528-0-30430200-1485115747_thumb.png

System specs: Win 8.1 Pro 64bit | AMD PhenomII X6 1055T @ 3.0Ghz | 16GB DDR3 @ 1600Mhz | WD10EZEX | GTX 960 4GB | Wacom CTL-672

No it's not a selection stroke thingy. It's the color of the fill behind the stroke for sure.

Thing is, I've never seen this happen before. I work with Designer from the very first version but this is the first time I notice it. Maybe it has something to do with me upgrading from El Capitan to OS Sierra.

I read someplace it maybe could have something to do with how computers rearrange floating points. Let's say if you set a fixed number to be 10.000 the computer generaties it as 9.999 in real life.

It's a bummer really, because I'd like to use this vector artwork in Sketch and when exporting it from Sketch to bitmap format it really makes this line visible and ugly.

Hardware
 Mac mini (late-2014), 2.6GHz, 16GB RAM, Intel Iris 5100 Graphics  iPad Air 16GB White

Software I love, and you should get :wink:
Affinity Desinger - Affinity Photo - Sketch - Coda - CodeKit - iA Writer - Dropbox - 1Password

For me it is also the color of the fill of the object sort of bleeding out around the stroke. I am still using El Capitan so it does not seem to have anything to do with upgrading to Sierra.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 4 weeks later...

This drives me crazy. Windows version has the same problem so it's the way the App (doesn't) works (well). I need that stroke inside and having a background outline visible around the stroke is a serious flaw. It's a BG (fill) color as if you change the fill color the thin line around the stroke also changes it's color. ASAP fix needed.

1)

Affinity%20Designer%20stroke%20inside%20

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lm4roklhr6nezee/Affinity%20Designer%20stroke%20inside%20fill%20outline%20visible.PNG?dl=0

2)

And another completely different example with no strokes at all. So completely different PROBLEM. This is just an object path visible as a thin white line no matter of the fill color (I changed the fill color it's always visible as thin white line) but ONLY when and where there is a child path within and crossing over the edge of the parent path (see layers panel).

20170215%20Affinity%20Designer%20object%

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tzm0958i0epq2gi/20170215%20Affinity%20Designer%20object%20borders%20visible.PNG?dl=0

P.S. direct link included for both examples as the adding image as the dropbox link is not working...

• 3 weeks later...

I produce digital content for web, so a per pixel precision is a must.

I won't go into all the nonsense of moving and creating objects ending with subzero values (size and position) no matter the "force pixel alignment" and other tools checked, in addition to all above, after exporting (creating slice from some object within artboard placed on some colored background) I got those subpixel thin hairlines visible!!! On the end product?!?! Visible on 1:1

So I just end up with sending to my client this BS (attached) as a solution - unfortunately I noticed the exporting error too late. Check the thin blue right and bottom border that should not be there. Slice size exactly matching the object size.

Why should we not consider this as a bug that needs ASAP fix please?

post-39813-0-03505600-1489015581_thumb.png

• Staff

Hi WeekendProducer,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

I'm sorry you are experiencing a few issues with the app. Regarding you first post, the first point is a known issue we already have logged. For the second point please go to Affinity Designer Preferences, Performance section and check Use precise clipping.

The issue from the post immediately above this one seems a bug. Can you please attach the original afdesign file so we can take a look at this?

You can PM me the link if you don't want to post it publicly.

Thanks.

• 3 years later...