You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I was wondering if I could propose support for DDS files. I did a forum search and couldn't find any existing feature requests for this. I do heavy graphics design and texturing in PC games I play and most all of them use DDS file formats for the textures. As far as 3D Luts and tonemapping go this program has it covered. I moved over from GIMP to this and was more than willing to pay the $$$ for the app because of the ease of use and light learning curve associated with the application and so, so many features when the aformentioned things are compared to GIMP (in its' defense it is free though). But to be able to do texture editing and things of that sort for gaming graphic desings I need to be able to open, edit, and export DDS in their various compressions and formats. I know you support some PS plugins but from what I've found through searches on Goolge this program sdoesn't support the PS DDS plugin; not to mention it's a Nvidia based plugin and I use AMD GPUs. If you could support DDS natively it would be greatly appreciated. Right now I'm using Affinity Photo for everything else but GIMP still for DDS. GIMP, btw, has a DDS pluging that is independent of Nvidia or AMD. If memory serves correctly all of their stuff is open source as well. Here's the link to their plugin if your team woulsd be interested in taking a look at its' mechanics and possibly incorporating something similar into Affinity. Also, there's a link for a plugin that does normal maps. That is another very common and needed texture present in PC games.  DDS Plugin        Normal Map Plugin

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello Hello forums,

Yes i also would like to request this feature!

Its absolutely needed for my workflows.

At least the possibility to use the old NVidia DDS Tools well the exporter would be VERY HANDY!

I also try to get my Company to switch over to Affinity, this would improve and simplify our workflows.

Its not only about the "license" model its mainly because of the way more stable tool, the performance and overall look and feel!

I would also like to apply for Beta Testing such features since this is my daily job since more than 28 Years

RegArts

Dee

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Another topic on the same request, well in case the other topic is not noticed after it falls off the front page I would also like to add to this one :

Intel Texture Works is the most recent advancement to the various DDS formats, now supporting DX11+, and has a few new texture formats which are now being used by games. The most desirable being BC7 Linear Fine with MipMap generation.

We can now have normal (bump) maps where the detail counts (without artifacting) and have them compressed.

It would be very nice if Affinity Photo could support the plugin (its an .8BI plugin and a cubemap script), currently only Adobe Photoshop can use the plugin, so anyone wishing to seriously take part in developing textures for games like Skyrim Special Edition or Fallout 4 need Adobe Photoshop .. Otherwise they cannot produce the correct texture formats for overall optimised performance without losing a lot of detail after compression.

No doubt the next generation of games will also be utilizing those newer formats listed on the Intel Texture Works page.

The NVidia plugin does not support the newer formats, and the GIMP DDS and Normal plugins I believe are no longer being developed, Intel Texture Works plugin is the way forward which supports all of the older formats aswell.

• 1 month later...

Mark, I'm trialing Affinity Photo and would also like to request dds file support. I currently use GIMP which supports it but would much rather switch to Affintiy which is much more user friendly for those familiar with Photoshop.

DDS is the main format in textures for FSW, P3D, FSX, etc. (Flight simulators) and I would love to be able to use Affinity for creating them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Hallo zusammen ,

schade das es kein dt. Forum gibt .

Nun zu meiner Bitte , wann kommt die dds einbindung in das Programm ?

Ich muss die psd-Datei immer mit gimp umwandeln in eine dds-Datei.

Ich benutze das sehr einfache und sehr stabil laufende affinity Photo für das Skinen in dem Spiel

Battel of Stalingrad.

LG. Steffen

• 2 months later...

Another customer of the Affinity products on multiple platforms and head of a game development studio. We would love to have native DDS support in all of your products (both for the Intel and Nvidia ones). @Mark Ingram can you give us any form of insight or update on where this feature request currently is on your (no doubt long) TODO list?

51 minutes ago, Marcel Offermans said:

Another customer of the Affinity products on multiple platforms and head of a game development studio. We would love to have native DDS support in all of your products (both for the Intel and Nvidia ones). @Mark Ingram can you give us any form of insight or update on where this feature request currently is on your (no doubt long) TODO list?

Still a way off unfortunately, I'm working on improving performance right now, rather than extending our file support. What is your current solution for DDS? Export image and convert to DDS?

25 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

Still a way off unfortunately, I'm working on improving performance right now, rather than extending our file support. What is your current solution for DDS? Export image and convert to DDS?

Posted workflow in https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/34306-dds-file-support/&do=findComment&comment=273904. Exporting to png and converting with Graphic Converter where Torsten (the dev) added support for DDS about a week. He uses Roland Scheideggers libtxc_dxtn for exporting which to me could be a simple(?) solution.

16 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

That is indeed our solution, to export to PNG and use external tools (ImageMagick) to do the actual conversion. We also still have a few people on the team that are still using Photoshop as they don't like these extra steps during their design process. Thanks however for your honest answer, as a fellow software developer I know all about priorities and balancing long wish lists.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like see the DDS support also.  In my case, I export TARGA files from Substance Painter (I need RGB+A support for textures), and use another utility to convert to DDS.  I bought Affinity Photo to create bits and pieces to use in Substance Painter, but it would be great if AP would support import/export of DDS.

Thanks for your consideration.  :-)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

+1 for this, as well as for Designer, and importing DDS files. I've had the best quality outputs using the nvcompress library/tool if that helps, since DDS is a lossy format and not all exporters work the same (imagemagick's DDS converter is pretty bad)

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...