You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, CruizngSailor. :)

Go to the Layers panel and make sure that the selected layer is identified as a 'Pixel' layer, not an 'Image' layer. If it's the latter type (which can only be transformed globally) right-click it and choose the 'Rasterize...' option so that you can work on it at the pixel level.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thank you Alfred & Manu... It appears that an important step ( not mentioned in the tutorial ) is that you have to select Current Layer and Below... very helpful, and frustrating not knowing that bit.

I am a newcomer to AP. It appears that a number of the tutorials are showing a "best case" scenario regarding the use of the tools and they certainly do not work as well as in the videos when presented with an image containing Alternative Facts  :rolleyes: ( sorry ).

Additionally the presenter flies by with the speed of someone who is eminently familiar with the software / topic. Steps are skipped or given short shrift. Not like he is trying to teach someone who is unfamiliar.

It appears that an important step ( not mentioned in the tutorial ) is that you have to select Current Layer and Below... very helpful, and frustrating not knowing that bit.

You only need that step if you've added a pixel layer (instead of simply selecting the JPEG layer before choosing the Inpainting Brush Tool).

Alfred spacer.png

You only need that step if you've added a pixel layer (instead of simply selecting the JPEG layer before choosing the Inpainting Brush Tool).

And it should be used only if the lower layers include something the inpainting algorithm can sample to replace whatever it is you are trying to eliminate from the current layer. If not, it will just increase processing time & may even introduce undesired artifacts.

For general information about the process, I suggest reading the Help topic "Inpainting" in the built-in help system. You can search for it or access it as a subtopic in the "Retouching" section of the table of contents.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 4 weeks later...

I am also having problems with inpainting.

I want to use a layer to do the inpainting. If I use the background layer it works. Is this normal? can you not use a special layer? Do I  have to use the background or am I making the wrong kind of layer? 

1. I add a pixel layer

2. I select the inplanting brush tool

3. I select the area I want to remove and it colors it red

4. I stop and nothing is removed.

Thanks

Roger

If you want to inpaint on a blank layer above the layer containing the actual image data, you need to choose 'Current Layer and Below' from the Context toolbar.

Alfred spacer.png

It would seem to me that if you need to choose "current layer & below" and the inpainting only is actually affecting the layer containing the actual image pixel data, then would not the method to be chosen to just do the inpainting on this layer and not have any blank layer above as the inpainting does not affect the blank layer anyway? If not, perhaps some other explanation can be made. Me too, RW, I am just trying to learn to use AP.

• 1 year later...

I have a jpg and in the Layers panel it shows it's a pixel and the Inpainting Brush Tool won't do anything.  I click on the Move Tool and click on the image and right click to scroll down to click on Rasterize and nothing changes.  The Inpainting Brush Tool did work great, but now it won't.  Am I missing something?  Could I have accidentally clicked something that turned that off or what?  Thanks.

Hello curtds

When you have the pixel layer selected and try to use the inpainting tool, do you see the red marking where you want to inpaint? If yes, maybe the transparency is set too low (I always have it on 100% for inpainting).

If the red marking doesn't appear: can you close the photo and open it again and use inpainting as the first step?

If both aren't helping: would you post a screenshot of the Layers panel?

On 2/23/2017 at 8:32 AM, mur_phy said:

It would seem to me that if you need to choose "current layer & below" and the inpainting only is actually affecting the layer containing the actual image pixel data, then would not the method to be chosen to just do the inpainting on this layer and not have any blank layer above as the inpainting does not affect the blank layer anyway? If not, perhaps some other explanation can be made. Me too, RW, I am just trying to learn to use AP.

The empty pixel layer on top is just a non-destructive way of working.
If it fits into your workflow, you can use it. If not, ignore it.

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

3 hours ago, curtds said:

I have a jpg and in the Layers panel it shows it's a pixel and the Inpainting Brush Tool won't do anything.  I click on the Move Tool and click on the image and right click to scroll down to click on Rasterize and nothing changes.  The Inpainting Brush Tool did work great, but now it won't.  Am I missing something?  Could I have accidentally clicked something that turned that off or what?  Thanks.

It would be handy to attach a screenshot with the layers panel & content toolbar visible.

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

check to see if there is a mask that you might have active instead of the background layer as the inpainting tool needs to work on the actual pixel layer. Also, check to see if the pixel layer you want to work on is actually selected as it is easy to get working and not notice you have not selected the layer you want. Have done both of the above and have seen tutorial creators do the same. Easy just to get busy and not notice what layer you actually have highlighted.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Rather than list them all again, have you followed the suggestions already made in this thread i.e. correct layer, flow, opacity etc.?  If so, has it ever worked or is this a new problem?  It might help to know what OS and version number you're running.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/1/2019 at 3:05 AM, daws.gragg said:

Still having trouble please help 

There is a bug with inPainting on a pixel layer.  I'm not sure what the problem is, but I'm *guessing* it may be to do with having elements of your file (layers) being outside the canvas area.  Anyway ... this fixes it for me:

•Group your layer

•Copy the Group

•From File Menu choose - 'New From Clipboard'

•Use Transform to get your Group back to correct position and also resize canvas as necessary

•UnGroup

(This may fix some other weird stuff too)

Grumpy, but faithful (watch out all you cats)

• 3 months later...
On 11/23/2018 at 5:27 PM, manu schwendener said:

Hello curtds

When you have the pixel layer selected and try to use the inpainting tool, do you see the red marking where you want to inpaint? If yes, maybe the transparency is set too low (I always have it on 100% for inpainting).

If the red marking doesn't appear: can you close the photo and open it again and use inpainting as the first step?

If both aren't helping: would you post a screenshot of the Layers panel?

Transparency set too low for me - Thank you :)