You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Unsupported bit depth?

I used APB to create an HDR from 5 raw images and saved 2 versions of the resulting image, one without HDR adjustments and one with,as psd files to test and see how much extra dynamic range resulted from the merge. However when I tried to load these into some external (to APB) tools they would not load and I received the error message saying that the images had an unsupported bit depth and could not be loaded.

These images failed to load into Lightroom, Elements 12 (yes, very old) and On1 RAW. Can anyone please explain to me why these psd files have an unsupported bit depth? I also created tiff equivalents and those loaded properly. Only the psd files were a problem.

I can supply links to the files if anyone is interested.

UPDATE:

I have repeated this process with a second HDR image sequence and with each of the Preserve Accuracy, Preserve Editability and Final Cut settings on the psd dialog box. The same problem showed up with the new HDR sequence and with all three Perserve settings. I would have thought that Preserve Editability would have been more able to be loaded by other editors, but apparently not. 

If APB is saving the psd as a 32 bit file, then APB ought to allow for the selection of 16 bits when exporting a psd so the file can actually be used somewhere else. It does not, or at least it does not in any dialog box that I found when exporting it.

To be able to actually use this psd file in another editor I had to load it up into the only editor that I had that would load it (PhotoLine), save it as a tiff, reload the tiff and save it as a psd. That seems like a bit too much trouble just to generate a psd from an HDR merge.

OK. Got it. 

There is a dialog box under Document -> Color Format that allows the user to set the bit depth to 16 bits. I had not seen that so I did not know there was a way to produce psd files that could be used by other apps.

Problem solved.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.