You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello Serif, this feature is really excellent and I have encountered my first difficulty with it. It is refusing to stitch a full sequence automatically, separating out the final 2 images into its own separate mini-panorama, despite it being obvious to the eye that they fit well. Is there any way of overriding this stitching process and forcing the issue please?

I do use your excellent video tutorials with pleasure and have also scanned the forum for a similar answer but could well have missed something.

Michael

As an experiment I tried stitching the 2 panoramas that resulted but got the message 'no panoramas found'. Presumably I shall need to join them manually.

As an experiment I tried stitching the 2 panoramas that resulted but got the message 'no panoramas found'. Presumably I shall need to join them manually.

Did you also try stitching only the two images that failed to stitch when included as part of the larger set?

How large are the images? How much overlap is there? (I think you need 20% overlap or more, and preferably 25%.)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hello Alfred, The big failed stitch resulted in 2 panoramas, a long one and the shorter end one of 2 frames. AP did that automatically as 2 separate panoramas. Those 2 I then tried to get AP to stitch but it didn't recognise them as panorama components. I did then stitch the two parts manually and accurately as far as register is concerned to make what should have been the original intention. But getting the other settings like levels and edge gradients to match proved rather more tricky, which indicates some of the more complex processes hidden in AP's automation. So I abandoned it and shall perhaps attempt to repeat the photographs sometime today.

That this process requires so much overlap should perhaps be mentioned in the tutorials or Help do you think? The actual overlap in my sequence was around 15%-20% for all the images so really what went for the first group should also have worked for the remainder. There is much strong common detail in the failed overlap including a leaning tree trunk, hanging branch and canal. This is the only sequence that has failed for me. That of itself is impressive. The images are 4608 x 2592

Possibly at some future date some way of forcing things might be useful?

Thank you for your reply. It does help to know.

Michael

I tried stitching the two images where the failure occurs and received the response 'no panorama found', which is strange in a way because the overlap is 25%. Obviously some other quirk at work here. There is some disjunction in exposure because the imagery passes from open landscape into woodland but all 'forms' match well. It is a 19th century English Picturesque Style Landscape park in Holland

Addendum: As a further experiment I tried a manual stitch in PhotoPlus just to check shapes. The overlaps are all about 25% and the shapes match easily. I also tried reducing the image size in AP but that made no difference. So it would seem that the panorama dialogue is perhaps unduly sensitive to exposure changes in imagery. The exposure difference in the above instance is not excessive.

I hope this is helpful. If I have time I shall try to repeat the image sequence and make another attempt. 

Michael

23rd Jan: I have now made a near perfect version stitching the 2 panoramas manually. There was plenty of overlap, quite enough to blur edges and ensure blending. So really all I can suggest is perhaps some configurations of shapes confuse the automated stitching or else what I suggested above, an undue sensitivity to exposure differences. The latter are not apparent in the final stitch. It has been too foggy to repeat the originals! Treat this as information rather than complaint.

• 3 months later...

The new Photo Beta improves panorama stitching considerably and now enables exit via escape, which is helpful. But there are very weird results with vertical panoramas (see screenshot). If images are rotated to try and overcome this then the software doesn't recognise them as suitable. Should we assume that vertical panoramas are too exotic or is there a hidden method?

Michael

post-33585-0-93275700-1493903528_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Is it possible to stitch vertically?

I've scanned an A1-sized document using a handheld scanner and ensured that there are plenty of overlaps. Now is it possible to use Affinity Photo (or Designer for that matter), to stitch and merge the overlapped portions of the images?