You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Using gradients to shade Object in Affinity Designer

There are many different ways to shade your vector art this is one way you can use the gradient tools to define light and shadows on  the surface of an object.

Disclaimer: this my workflow and no means the only way you can achieve this effect.

If you find this helpful please subscribe, Subscribing is the only way I will really know if I should continue doing more free tutorials like this.

Hopefully my voice does drive you nuts haha.

Cheers

Click here for the video 

Great vid R!

Thanks for doing this…you've got my subscription.

Dutch

PS:  your voice is pretty easy on the ears

iMac : 2.3 Ghz Dual-Core  intel Core i5
Affinity Designer 2.0.3 : Affinity Publisher  2.0.0 : Affinity Photo 2.0.0

Thank you so much  Dutch! Awesome! Ohh thank God! That probably my biggest worry about my videos having a voice that annoys people or having a video that that just doesn't really show and explain enough at the same time.

Thank you for letting me know.

-R

"Borrowed" your layout too!!    I moved the layer palette to the left.. much more convenient this way

Thanks!

Dutch

I glad that working for you too. I am left handed so for me to the left is most optimal. 

You are so very welcome!

Welcome to he club! I'm left handed too  (got my stylus in my left hand and my mouse in my right, nothin' can stop me now :ph34r: )

hahaha! I got my stylus in my left and my mouse to the right too and since I am on a laptop I got my touchpad in the middle haha!  :ph34r:

• Staff

Nice tutorial, Ronnie - and I have to agree, your voice is very easy to listen to and clear - definitely not something you should be worried about at all :)

I noticed that you had issues snapping the '8' text to vertical centre - it's because the snapping of a text object is currently in desperate need of attention - it only snaps to its bounding box (which includes any potential descenders of the line - of which there were none in your actual piece of text) so the box is not representative of the contents you had typed. You can temporarily get around this by just hitting 'convert to curves' and that will give the real box and then snapping will do what you expect - but it's far from being an actual solution, sorry.

We'll get the snapping sorted out soon :)

Thanks,

Matt

Nice tutorial, Ronnie - and I have to agree, your voice is very easy to listen to and clear - definitely not something you should be worried about at all  :)

I noticed that you had issues snapping the '8' text to vertical centre - it's because the snapping of a text object is currently in desperate need of attention - it only snaps to its bounding box (which includes any potential descenders of the line - of which there were none in your actual piece of text) so the box is not representative of the contents you had typed. You can temporarily get around this by just hitting 'convert to curves' and that will give the real box and then snapping will do what you expect - but it's far from being an actual solution, sorry.

We'll get the snapping sorted out soon :)

Thanks,

Matt

Matt, First I would like to say thank you for the reassurance on my speaking voice.

As for the snapping, I like to thank you for the clarification. I did not mean to highlight the issue but thank you for explaining. You guys are doing a great job thus far.I am patient because I have convinced that you and your team are working extremely hard on this and are listening to your users. I am clear on on what your application does and I am clear on what it can and can not do and like any tool I use it only to the best of it ability and not worry too much about what it not doing now but appreciate it for what it is doing now. Affinity Designer is doing a lot as is and I am looking forward to it replacing a few other tools in my tool box with your fine application(s) 

Hi Ronnie,

Very nice tutorial.

We want more tutorials like this one please

Thank you for the tips. :-)

Thank you for your compliment and  thank you for your video tutorials as well. I don't think I ever thank you for your videos tutorials. 

Nice tut Ronnie, rack em up... as I side note, I am perusing your mixes on your 'agent downbeat' site, loving it so far... music to "AFFINITY" to  ;)

Thanks Retro-G!  On the side note.... glad you are enjoying my mixes! yah one of my many creative pursuits. You just have to let out any way you can haha!

More free tuts coming soon :)