You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

examples 101 for beginners

I would like to suggest a series of videos via Vimeo/Youtube, giving, say, 101 examples of photos and how to deal with them, for complete beginners. Obviously any tweaks done are subjective, but I believe that there are a common series of tweaks (adjustment layers, filters etc) done to each type of photo. Dont get me wrong- I think that the vimeo series is great, but the emphasis there is showing what each adjustment can do, and I personally (and I presume lots of other beginners too) feel that I would like to know what I could do with a particular kind of bad image. For instance, kids at the beach with water over exposed, image of a gloomy grotto with too many highlights in the water, a completely grey sky, etc. More advanced examples could be: retouching a torn and scratched photo, etc. The photos presently in the Vimeo series are all too good- my problem is dealing with say 70% of the images we (sorry- I!) take and chuck because I dont know what to do with them.

Another idea is whether there could be a way for members to upload images (could be a security problem) and ask for comments from other guys about how to deal with them.

Affinity Photo (AP) is new so there are not that many in-depth video tutorials showing what you have requested.  But you can find other videos for other software (such as Photoshop) which you can learn from.  The trick is to find the same function, used in those videos, when using AP

"Another idea is whether there could be a way for members to upload images (could be a security problem) and ask for comments from other guys about how to deal with them."

If you are happy to upload your pictures to the forum then I am sure there will be others on the forum happy to help you with what you want to correct/improve on them. 

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.