You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

APh - Ability to nudge the Crop tool with keyboard arrow keys

Could we please have the ability to nudge the crop tool with the arrow keys?

1) Open image in APhoto

2) Select Crop tool

3) Create custom ratio eg. 16 x 9

4) try to nudge the selection up or down using the keyboard

Nothing happens

What I would like to see:

The crop selection will nudge the crop selection by 1 pixel increments and when the shift key is held down it nudges by 10 pixel increments

BTW the move crop still doesn't become active unless the crop selection is dragged out, using the context toolbar stops the crop from being movable unless the image off from the crop is clicked, I would expect the crop to be moveable as soon as it becomes active from the context tool.

Windows 11 Pro 64bit ¤ AMD Threadripper 3990x ¤ Nvidia RTX 3090 ¤ 256GB DDR4 Ram ¤ ROG Zenith II Extreme Alpha

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

@emptyflask

We know the crop functionality is being rewritten but we do not know what it will contain or exactly when it will happen and Serif do not give ETA's for these sort of updates.

In the meantime there are some workarounds you can use...

To Crop to Canvas

1. Make your selection
2. Invert Selection
3. Delete
4. Clip Canvas

Steps 2 to 4 can be made into a macro if you do a lot of this sort of stuff

Constraining the crop to the actual image area

Not sure I understand exactly what you mean but if you have snapping switched on then the crop boundaries will snap to the edges of your image when adjusted

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 10 months later...
On 2/15/2018 at 7:24 AM, carl123 said:

Constraining the crop to the actual image area

Not sure I understand exactly what you mean but if you have snapping switched on then the crop boundaries will snap to the edges of your image when adjusted

The problem here is that it's snapping while you move the whole thing, but not while you resize the area. This is fixed in 1.7 beta.

But moving by keyboard is still not possible. :|

On 2/14/2018 at 7:29 PM, emptyflask said:

This is important to me as well! Please post a status update.

Constraining the crop to the actual image area (and/or cropping to a marquee selection) is also a crucial feature.

Yes, setting a checkbox to allow a constraining would be really helpful not to accidently include transparent pixels.
Now you only have the snapping.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471