You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pen Tool crashes AD Beta 1.5.2.54

After another person in a forum I frequent reported that trying to use the Pen Tool caused the new AD Beta to crash, I opened the Beta and clicked on the Pen Tool. AD crashed. I opened the Beta again and clicked on the Pen Tool. AD crashed. Looks like the new Beta is unusable until this problem is resolved.

• Staff

Hi Lynn,

Unfortunately this is caused by the way 1.5.1 previously saved the settings. It is a problem that several people have encountered. To solve this and without loosing any of your other settings, brushes or assets go to: %AppData%\Affinity\Designer\1.0\Settings and delete the Commands.xml file.

*Note* If you are using Photo, change the word Designer to Photo

The Pen Tool will then function correctly and will not crash the app. Sorry for the inconvenience. 

in all the roaming. there is no affinity designer file

When you try to go to the %AppData%\Affinity\Designer\1.0\Settings folder, do you get a 'Location is not available' error? 

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Hi Marfbum,

Could you hold the Ctrl button down whilst launching the Designer beta. After a short while you should see a window appear with lots of tickboxes on. Could you ensure 'Clear User Defaults' is ticked and then ensure all the rest are unticked and then click the 'Clear' button (See below). This should allow you to use the Pen Tool again.

post-37-0-39325500-1485173176_thumb.png

hi lynn, tried your help, but in all the roaming. there is no affinity designer file, i give up

thank you

When you try to go to the %AppData%\Affinity\Designer\1.0\Settings folder, do you get a 'Location is not available' error? 

hi alfred no, dont get location is not available

In that case there clearly is an 'Affinity\Designer' folder, but maybe you just mean that when you looked in subfolders of that folder you couldn't see the files you expected to see. Anyway, I hope Sean's suggestion works for you.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.