I use the gradient overlay effect quite effectively, but often it stops working after three or more edits in the gradient colors. I can continue to bring up the effect dialogue window but clicking on the Gradient color box no longer brings up the dialogue box that lets one edit the two or more gradient colors, etc. I must quit AD and bring it up again. It then works for a few edits (sometimes up to 7 edits but often 2 or 3) but then I no longer get any response by clicking the Gradient color box. I remain on the correct layer while doing this, the gradient effect is chosen. The main Gradient Overlay effect dialogue window always appears but I cannot go further into editing colors or other gradient settings. Is this a bug or is it soaking up too much memory?

Hi Jim,

I can't seem to reproduce the issue with the Gradient Overlay and the Gradient colour dialog. Are you running Designer on Mac or Windows? Does the same issue occur if you start a new document and insert a quickshape and then use the Gradient Overlay from Layer Effects.

Have you tried resetting the app to default, the steps I've included below. This will lose any brushes, user settings etc that you may of added so if you wish to back these up follow the steps in this video first.

To Reset:

With the app closed, hold down the CTRL key and open the app from the icon. A new window will appear,release the CTRL key and select Clear, the app will now continue to open.

iMac 27" 5k macOS 10.13 - MacBook Pro macOS 10.13 - iPad Pro 12.9" 256GB

Affinity Photo Tutorials / Affinity Designer Tutorials / Affinity Photo for iPad

Thanks, Lee. I have done some experiments and believe I have found the problem. My doc is a complex geology map that I brought into AD from Illustrator. This may be causing the problem I described above. When I created the gradient from scratch in AD, I no longer had the problem. It may also be the reason that editing complex (many-noded) curves caused AD to stop and process for a minute or two (color wheel and Force Quit message that AD "is not responding"). Waiting it out usually brought AD back. Other times the same type of edits caused AD simply to stop responding, without the color wheel.

My assumption is that the complexity of Illustrator and the restraints Adobe places on a "clean and stable" transfer into AD must demand a lot from AD's memory, unlike its quick native processing. In the case of the gradient problem, this also limited AD's opacity options in gradients (some did not respond). However, with a native AD gradient, everything is working beautifully. Thus it seems it is not an AD problem but rather part of the burden and complexity of bringing a heavy Illustrator doc into AD. Now that I realize that, I can carry on. Thanks, again.

PS: Being originally from the wild West, i.e., *old* California, I like your hat and accompanying beard!

PS: Being originally from the wild West, i.e., *old* California, I like your hat and accompanying beard!

I am trying to decide if that image is of a generic "Old West" cowboy or possibly Chuck Norris, maybe in his Walker, Texas Ranger role:

post-3524-0-76448900-1485341348_thumb.jpg

Affinity Photo 1.6.7 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.6.9.81 & Affinity Designer 1.6..2.24 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.0

I have the same problem. I can't chose new colors in the gradient overlay effect after a while. I have to restart the application. I have NOT imported from AI or similar, this is a document created from scratch in AF.  I run this on macOS Sierra. 

I have not tried to reset the app to default though... I will do that later. Still, It would be great if there was a bug that could be found and fixed for later releases. Thanks!

All  -  I am having this same issue.   No Illustrator imports or anything.   Just a very basic Affinity design with some oval shapes.   Can use the gradient overlay once, then it stops working and I have to restart.   This is a bug for sure.  

Hi Fobb, Richmont,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

I will try to reproduce this here/keep an eye on it and fill a bug report if necessary. Meanwhile please launch the app with (ctrl) held down until a Clear User Data dialog appears. Remove the tick for Don't restore window and documents. Leave only Clear User Defaults and Reset Studio checked then press Clear. This should fix the issue. If you run into this problem again after the reset please let us know.

Hi MEB,

a little bit late... I am having this issue as well. It still continue after your recommendation above. I work on Mac.

Thanks