You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Show me this (from a video) in AP

Aeros4,

Quite in a rush at the moment, but from a quick glance at the video, it doesn't seem too complicated.

By chance, did you try already and you got stuck for some reason?

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

Verysame, hello;

I did take a look, but the edges filter looked a lot different. I would have a hard time with this project in AP. Merci Madame for posting the link.

Aeros4,

It's a little difficult to understand where you have problems with the edges.

I did a quick test tonight, and it's definitely achievable, only I don't know exactly what the effect you are after has to look like, especially because the tutorial you linked is low res.

Anyway, here are a few renders.

Original picture (the original is here)

image.jpg

Treatment for the watercolor:

image.jpg

For the edges, you can have many variations.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

And personally I would push it a little more, although I prefer without the edges:

watercolor.jpg

Of course, the result can be improved a lot. For instance, I would work on blending the areas better in order to make them more liquid-like.

On a side note, working with the latest beta, 1.5.1.54, it's really a better experience compared to the previous releases.

I've used live filters for the watercolor and the edges and AP didn't flinch.

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti

"Why re-invent the wheel"

Hello Hans;

I was trying to do this technique in AP as I am able to do in PS 6. I prefer to move all my workflow over to AP. Your suggestion to look at other third party programs is not where I intended to go, however, I do sincerely appreciate your help. I will give the options you provided a good look. Thank you very much for your time and help. :) 

Good morning Verysame;

I can't thank you enough for the amount of work you did in response to my post, kudos Sir. I am very impressed with your sample posted. As a result, I will spend the time to do the crossover to AP. I have read in other posts by folks very proficient with PS, their problems are caused by the difference in UI, this is exactly my problem, trying to unlearn one system in order to learn a new one.

Thanks again for your remarkable effort. :)  :D

so to get this straight:

this is not possible in AP in a similar workflow because AP has not yet such stylised filters like PS has

there is a looks persona on the roadmap though which I think might give us something similar 

to shorten the video a bit and help others

what he does is:

- detect edges

- desaturate that layer

- choose a darkening blend mode

- apply a stylisation effect to the underlying layer

you can try my paint effect macro to get a stylised look for the image layer, but it is not exactly watercolour like

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/32907-affinity-photo-performance-comparison-data-sheet/?p=159980

@verysame

how did you apply the watercolour treatment look in AP? apart from using the paper sheet as a background, how did you soften the colours/ blend them?

cheers

Aeros4,

Np. In case it may be helpful, here's the file.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/j8uf15

All the filters used are pretty self-explanatory.

The only effect that is not editable, is the detect edges which is already applied.

I'm not sure if this is what you were looking for. If so, and you have questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

@ Hans:

Because of a few reasons.

• Why pay for another app when we already have Affinity?
  • Why use a free app which does the work for you? What control do you have over the process? Except for a few parameters, the user can just click and wait.
  • What can you learn by using a third-party app created appositely for that effect?
  • Because: why Affinity Photo? There was already Photoshop.
  • Because "re-inventing" the wheel is the process that moves creativity. It let us discover different ways to achieve similar and sometimes, unexpected results.

Best,

Andrew

Andrew
-

[...]

@verysame

how did you apply the watercolour treatment look in AP? apart from using the paper sheet as a background, how did you soften the colours/ blend them?

cheers

MBd,

We posted at the same time.

I posted the file as you were adding your contribution :)

Andrew
-

Hans,

It's different.

A filter hasn't one use only. That's why it takes our creativity to use them in different ways.

A gaussian blur, for instance, is meant to soften part of an image. But then for instance, if you combine it with levels or curves, it becomes a handy tool for tweaking masks.

A ready-made effect like the apps you mentioned are meant to achieve a pre-defined set of effects and that's it.

As for the slower pace, it's all relative. I tried Fotosketcher and it was very slow, even just with the image I used in my example.

But what really matters is, once you master the technique, you not only get the effect but you understand the principle. Next time you know already how to do it and it applies to any compositing software.

So, yes you spend a little time to experiment at the beginning, but you gain a lot in the long term.

Using an app leaves you where you are: no knowledge and limited choices.

Andrew
-

Andrew

Uhm,so you think I should stick to my real paper and real brushes to be a master at this technique   :lol:

Was just showing other options to get a result.

What's the creative way is debatable and sometimes choosing the one tool over the other is also a sign of creativity.

[...]

Hans

What I mean is that looking for new solutions is worth it.

I get that you were only suggesting another option, my opinion is that going for the cheap way is not a good solution.

For instance, since we have Instagram, why bother with Affinity Photo?

It may works for someone, especially in the short term, but doesn't help getting better at something.

By the way, Affinity Photo doesn't only offers filters, but a whole set of tools, such as brushes, color adjustments, selections and so on so forth.

The more we master these tools, the better we get.

It's like telling someone who wants to learn the art of cooking to go out and get a Mcburger :)

Edit: just to be clear, I personally don't think there's nothing wrong with the fact that you suggested an alt. solution. In the end, it's up to us to decide what works best.

Plus, conversation is always a good thing ;)

Andrew
-

Hi all !

Personally I prefer use Filter Forge. It's a powerful tool to create all kind of filters : you can do it yourself or choose one from a huge library ... and it works fine with AP. Lots of graphic studio use this kind of powerful plugin without shame ...