Niffirg

Can't select different layer

Hello, I just bought Designer after using the trial and I'm loving it it! I do however have one recurring issue that gets frustrating.

When working on a document, I will occasionally get stuck an a selected layer for what appears to be no reason. I am unable to click on any other layer to get out of the one currently selection. The only thing I can do enable working on all layers, but as soon as I turn it off It remains on the last selection. The other option I have is to save and restart, definitely not optimal. I also am still able to hide layers, as well as show and collapse sub layers.

Thanks for any help!

Hi MEB, thanks for replying!

the documents I work in when the problem arises only consist of curves and text with no embedded content. 

Thanks for the help though!

Hello,

This occurs to me also. I could not determine what to do to reproduce it each time. But sometimes (too much often), I could not select any object on layer as Niffirg describe. Same solution. Save current doc, close software and reopen it...

Using v 1.0.20213 on macbook pro retina Osx 10.8.5

When working on a document, I will occasionally get stuck an a selected layer for what appears to be no reason. I am unable to click on any other layer to get out of the one currently selection. The only thing I can do enable working on all layers, but as soon as I turn it off It remains on the last selection.

Hum i think i misunderstood your first post. You said that when you enable Edit all Layers you can select the objects you want and when you disable this, you're stuck with the last selection. Well this is by design.

Affinity Designer only lets you pick objects contained in the layer selected on the Layers panel. If you want to edit all objects no matter what layer they are in, you must have Edit All Layers checked.

I am not sure I am seeing a resolution in this thread, but I am having a similar problem. Any updates on this problem? I discovered after working in 3 different documents that the layers would become unresponsive - as in you could not select a layer or anything on it except the one layer that I was last working on. The only way around it was to close the app down and restart it. 

Hum i think i misunderstood your first post. You said that when you enable Edit all Layers you can select the objects you want and when you disable this, you're stuck with the last selection. Well this is by design.

Affinity Designer only lets you pick objects contained in the layer selected on the Layers panel. If you want to edit all objects no matter what layer they are in, you must have Edit All Layers checked.

Hi

I just bought AD.

Where is "Edit All Layers" as I cannot find it?

cheers

Nalin

Ah, ok, thanks - missed the bitmap somehow.

What I was trying to do was have a solid colour and then overlay a grid on top or behind it - most likely best done with two separate layers.

Presumably no multiple fills per shape at present?

Are there any plans for fractal fills or other types of fills?

cheers

N

No, currently there's no support for multiple fills.

Fractal fills (like in Xara) and patterns no, sorry. You can however fill a request for them in the Requests section of the Forum.

There's also an add noise feature (color panel, at the bottom). I know it's not exactly the same, but it may help in some cases.

I am having the same issue as the OP. Very often I end up not being able to click on any layer in the layers panel. Sometimes restarting AD helps, sometimes not.

As much as I love AD, right now it's pretty unusable for me. Please fix it :(

Hey MEB,

I am running the App Store version of AD on OSX 10.10.1

Can you give me an email address i can send the file to? It's work related so i cannot simply attach it to a post in a public forum.

Hi - I've experienced the problem with layers locking. I'm a new user, and have a MBP retina running Yosemite.

I can reproduce by having 2 documents open. If I switch between them using View -> Views I can no longer select layers (in either document). If I restart then things are OK.

It happens every time for me so I'd be surprised if no-one else can reproduce. You can even just create 2 blank documents, add a couple of layers and as soon as you switch between them they lock.

thanks - Andy 

Hi AndyN,

Welcome to Affinity Forums.

That is a known problem that was already corrected in the beta version. The next Mac App Store update will fix it.

Meanwhile if this is giving you much trouble you can install the beta if you want. It doesn't interfere with the MAS version.

The only detail you must be aware is that documents created or saved with the Beta can't be opened in the Mac App Store version.