You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Disable automatic tool switching?

I just bought Affinity Designer and Photo, but there's a "feature" that throws me off all the time: when I for example press 'N' to select the pencil and then press it again, it selects the last used tool. I guess it makes sense to cycle tools if there are multiple tools in the same group, but I often press a shortcut just to make sure I have the right tool selected, so this behaviour is very annoying. I couldn't find the option in the preferences and the built-in Help didn't bring any results.

• Staff

Hi Leoz,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Currently there's no way to disable this behaviour. You can however customise the tools shortcuts (menu Affinity Designer/Photo ▸ Preferences, Keyboard Shortcuts section - select Photo and Tools in the dropdowns for Photo and Draw and Tools in the dropdowns for Designer) - giving each one its own shortcut to prevent this from happening with tools belonging to the same group.

[...] giving each one its own shortcut to prevent this from happening.

Thanks for the fast answer! This doesn't solve the problem though, it only prevents cycling through tools of the same group (for example Artistic Text Tool<->Frame Text Tool - when pressing 'T' multiple times).

My problem is that if I'm using the Pen Tool (shortcut 'P'), switch to the Move Tool by pressing 'V', work with the tool and then press 'V' again, it switches back to the Pen Tool without me pressing the shortcut for the Pen Tool ('P'). Customizing shortcuts doesn't prevent that.

Guess I'll have to live with it then...

Yes, it also bother me, though it would a case of being used to, but... no. Disabling this cycling feature in preferences would be nice.

+1 !

intel i7-3930K - 32Go - SSDs | Dual screen | Running last customer beta

Win 7 Pro SP1 x64 | nVidia GTX 680 - v376.33 | intuos 3 - v6.3.15-3

I totally agree.  I want to know if I hit an A that I will be in the Node tool, not some other tool.

FYI this was requested before: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/3783-ambiguous-tool-shortcut-keys/?hl=tools

Maybe a few more requests and we can convince someone that this should be a preference we can set.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

+1  I completely agree!

This is by far my biggest hangup with the program, for the exact reasons others have already explained. 

It negates the time savings/purpose of using shortcuts if you have to stop and think about how it will behave depending on certain circumstances, and then look over to double-check you have the tool you intended. 

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Agree that this feature never benefits me. It's not just a matter of 'getting used to it' either, it's bad UX. It *might* be useful if your workflow involves only two tools, but I think that's probably very uncommon. Most users change tools a lot and don't remember the last one they used. Plus your cursor doesn't always change in appearance when you change tools so you often have no quick or intuitive way of knowing which tool you're currently using. 

I vote to get rid of this entirely, but the option to disable it seems like an easy fix that would please everyone.

On 4/30/2018 at 11:51 PM, thomasp said:

Agreed, would be great to be able to set this as a preference.

5 minutes ago, Evan D said:

I vote to get rid of this entirely, but the option to disable it seems like an easy fix that would please everyone.

In the version 1.7 beta there’s a Preferences setting for this.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

40 minutes ago, thomasp said:

Are you referring to the 'use SHIFT to cycle tools' option?

Yes, that’s the one! It affects the ‘return to previous tool’ behaviour as well as cycling through tools in a group.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 1 year later...

I'm so glad to find a solution for this behavior of cycling through tool groups by pressing the tool shortcut! this behavior drives me crazy since I bought Affinity photo years ago, I only just realized what to search for in this forum. I regularly press 'm' without realising that marquee is already selected, then I have to press it twice more to get back to rectangular marquee because it switched to circular marquee..  this feature should be DISABLED by default, its a very bad...