You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to convert lines to objects (for further use)

Hello out there

Learning a new program isn't always that easy, but sometimes you hit a brick wall and voila: I need to ask you out there. :) 

I can't figure out how to convert a line into an object (or shape), to further use this geometry to subtract it from another object (see attached pictures).

You can convert shapes to curves, but not the other way round?

The thing is, its easier to draw a line, adjust the thickness (stroke) to your liking and then convert this into a shape to, let's say, subtract it from something. Since I've stumbled upon the fact, that I can't precisely arrange things in AD, due to some odd snapping behaviour (or my lack of understanding these).

thx for any help,

Bo

// sort of freelancer // professionally designing things digital and IRL // products - gfx - light - UI & UX //

Hello again. 

I have to say (and the little 'Staff' underneath your profile might give that away) your support is stellar.
Never been to a forum where the actual people are that fast to respond to things.

And thanks again, since I might stick with you – since I like your approach and whats in the pipe – I'll do a proper introduction in the members section. :) 

jup, that worked.
Though I have to say, I missed it in the help-section, since it's right underneath the 'To convert a shape to curves'  and I was looking for 'convert line to shape' or something similar.  :rolleyes: 

// sort of freelancer // professionally designing things digital and IRL // products - gfx - light - UI & UX //

• 1 month later...

Hi Bomatick,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

With the object selected, go to menu Layer ▸ Expand Stroke.

Thank you so much. I was really starting to be bothered. I have used AI for so long, hotkeys and shortcuts in my workflow are core to my work