You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Remove anchor points?

Not sure if you're asking for a visual solution to "hiding" points or actual removal of points...

To hide points and paths on a selected object just press the spacebar, it toggles the viewing of these things... on or off. Handy when applying effects.

To remove points, yes, a robust simplify path feature is needed especially after expanding a stroke or any boolean operation.

Illustrator has a simplify path feature as well as a couple "astute" plugins that allow you to interactively remove points without changing the overall shape... something like that built in to AD would be a great addition and would go a long way to attracting serious path pushers...

• Staff

@retrograde, It's the first (hiding the nodes).

Just for reference: the OP was referring to hiding points from paths as an option when using the Pencil Tool - similar to drawing with the Pencil Tool in Flash (i know this from a talk we have through PM's and from this post). The spacebar is just a workaround since its intended to quickly activate panning (not to hide controls/nodes) and it does not do it permanently as i believe @Mt. is requesting.

• 5 years later...

I agree with Mt. It would more than helpful to be able to toggle the visibility of the anchor points. When you draw something the points actually hide details and block your view from the result. That is not just annoying, at some point (no pun intended) it makes it impossible to use the tool for certain tasks. Pleeeeeeease add an option to toggle the visibility of the anchor points!

• 3 years later...

totally, for me it makes it difficult to do anything with all the anchor points hiding the lines. It would be great if there was a way to drop the transparency of the anchor points, so you can see them and their handles but they don't totally block out what you're working on while you're working on it :P where would one vote/suggest this feature?