You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Do you consider port of Affinity for Linux?

I am  Linux user (Fedora), but I bought Windows 10 for photo editing where I have Capture 1, Photo Ninja and now Affinity. 

I like very much the Affinity but I can not use it for RAW files on my PC. The raw processing is very slow, almost impossible to convert Sony A7R2 uncompressed files.

Photo Ninja is working also in Linux with Wine and I don't know why it is more stable and responsive there.

So I am using mostly Photo Ninja on Linux, even if I like the results from Affinity much more. 

Thanks

David

• Staff

Hi dv9973,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Currently there's no plans to port Affinity to Linux. This was already requested and discussed in quite a few threads where some of the developers have already explained their points of view. Check them out for more info:

- Affinity for Linux

- Linux. Seriously now.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

while I know that this has been discussed before, from what I have read the circumstances are quite different today, so it cannot hurt to ask again. When this was first discussed for example, there was no Affinity for Windows yet. (both threads you linked to are from 2014)

While of course cost can be an issue, especially with Affinity for Windows written to great parts (as far as I know) in dotNet and increased collaboration buy-out between original mono developers (Xamarin) and Microsoft resulting in an increased cross-platform commitment by Microsoft (many projects could even just be recompiled), I do think a working port for Linux would be much cheaper than porting from OS X with all its special apis etc to Windows. Of course you cannot support all possible Linux distributions or configurations (though I guess similar problems could be present on Windows as compared to single-hardward Mac systems) but for that you could do what many others, such as game developers (Feral Games, Valve) do and target one stable distirubtion such as Ubuntu 16.04. Everybody would be happy and if they use something else, it is easy for them or the community to get it to work as long as they know under which conditions it works.

Personally, despite having licenses for Affinity Designer/Photo already I would happily pay again for a Linux version.