Iagh

Expand stroke crooked

Hi,

after months and months of using affinity, somehow suddenly the expand stroke didn't work right. Look at this screenshots: (I coloured stroke to red with purpose, to see how the stroke crooked after expand)

Thanks for reply

post-34200-0-49747800-1484735580_thumb.png

post-34200-0-04391300-1484735581_thumb.png

Great that you are looking into this. I have the same problem and it’s a really important feature for me.

When working on icons, enlarging the object before expanding does not help, because you want things to fall in line with the pixel grid.

If it helps with debugging, this is an example file. If you expand the stroke on this object, things go sideways: http://c.xvr.io/212m2n2Z0f2A/expand-stroke-bug.afdesign

Really hoping you will fix this soon :-)

If it helps with debugging, this is an example file. If you expand the stroke on this object, things go sideways: http://c.xvr.io/212m2n2Z0f2A/expand-stroke-bug.afdesign

I'm not sure what you mean by "things go sideways", Xavez. The Expand Stroke feature certainly needs some work, since it often produces artefacts and almost always creates too many nodes, but if I use the command on your sample file I get a faithful representation of the original shape.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.11.85 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.1.4 (iPad Air 2)

I'm not sure what you mean by "things go sideways", Xavez. The Expand Stroke feature certainly needs some work, since it often produces artefacts and almost always creates too many nodes, but if I use the command on your sample file I get a faithful representation of the original shape.

Thanks for getting back to me. 

I made this gif, which hopefully explains the problem:

Screen%20Recording%202017-03-31%20at%201

Thanks for the animated GIF. I can see it now: I don't know why I didn't see it before! :o

TonyB's suggestion of enlarging the object seems to fix it in this case. I enlarged it by a factor of 16 (going from 24px square to 384px square) and the straight lines all remained perfectly straight when I used the 'Expand Stroke' command.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.11.85 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.1.4 (iPad Air 2)

Thanks for the animated GIF. I can see it now: I don't know why I didn't see it before! :o

TonyB's suggestion of enlarging the object seems to fix it in this case. I enlarged it by a factor of 16 (going from 24px square to 384px square) and the straight lines all remained perfectly straight when I used the 'Expand Stroke' command.

Thanks, although that is not really a solution, I need to be able to draw in actual size, if only for the pixel preview . . .

Thanks, although that is not really a solution, I need to be able to draw in actual size, if only for the pixel preview . . .

No one is suggesting that you draw larger than actual size. The idea is that you enlarge the object, expand the strokes and then shrink the object back down to its original size. When I did this with your file, the alignment to the pixel grid looked the same as it did at the beginning.

All of this is only a workaround, of course, but it seems usable enough while we wait for a proper solution.

Alfred online2long.gif

It’s mid 2018 and this bug is still in there. Are there any plans to fix this? It’s making me really sad that an otherwise super elegant tool can’t handle this :(

On 6. August 2018 at 11:15 AM, claudiofrs said:

Still no fixes

FYI:

On 30. September 2014 at 2:02 PM, TonyB said:

This will be improved in a future update.

On 17. Juni 2015 at 4:03 PM, MattP said:

Sorry you're having issues - as I said, this will get fixed and it is a priority.

"Expand Stroke will be worked on very soon”