You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

There's no apparent way to skew an object.

As plenty of users have pointed out you can do this in Photo with the perspective tool. You can do the exact equivalent of holding down the command key (Mac) in photoshop when free transforming. You can freely drag any corner in any direction. You can do this destructively using the Perspective tool on the tools menu or by applying the non destructive Perspective filter. It's a little hidden but once you have found it it's just as easy as in Photoshop.

11 minutes ago, DavidMac said:

As plenty of users have pointed out you can do this in Photo with the perspective tool. You can do the exact equivalent of holding down the command key (Mac) in photoshop when free transforming. You can freely drag any corner in any direction. You can do this destructively using the Perspective tool on the tools menu or by applying the non destructive Perspective filter. It's a little hidden but once you have found it it's just as easy as in Photoshop.

35 minutes ago, Fixx said:

skew.jpg

As plenty of users have pointed out they wanted to be able to do this in designer on. What if you don't have photo? It's a lot to pay for a tiny extra tool that could be easily implemented in designer. And if you want to achieve the result on a vector object. As for Fixx, again as has been pointed out multiple times, we know how to do that but this is not what we want to do.

40 minutes ago, ronanski said:

want to achieve the result on a vector object

I think we all want that feature.
We can't do anything but wait until Serif implements it. It's been requested so many times over the years that they are definitely aware of it. I even vaguely recall that one of the lead developers has acknowledged the lack of these features in an interview somewhere on affinityspotlight.com

44 minutes ago, ronanski said:

It's a lot to pay for a tiny extra tool that could be easily implemented in designer.

I'd assume that's a strategic business decission. And as far as I'm concerned, a pretty good one. After all, Serif is a "for-profit" company, not some alter-naive altruistic NGO. ;)

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

9 hours ago, ronanski said:

As for Fixx, again as has been pointed out multiple times, we know how to do that but this is not what we want to do.

This is skew. If you want other transformations ask for them with right name.

Yeah, that too, according to my English dictionary. :P

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

15 minutes ago, loukash said:

Yeah, that too, according to my English dictionary. :P

According to the dictionary built into the macOS, shear means to cut or break off. Skew means to twist, turn, or distort. The various online dictionaries include (but are not limited to) somewhat similar definitions.

So I think Affinity has not named the function correctly.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

9 minutes ago, R C-R said:

According to the dictionary built into the macOS, shear means to cut or break off. Skew means to twist, turn, or distort. The various online dictionaries include (but are not limited to) somewhat similar definitions.

So I think Affinity has not named the function correctly.

The word shear is not wrong. It's the name of the affine transformation.

Shear is pretty right named and as anon2 already said, a common affine transformation in graphics.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

It's used interchangeably with "skew." No reason to belabor it. I've seen "skew" far more often in graphics applications, and the lack of a reference to it in Designer has clearly caused aggravation. Affinity will at least fix the documentation or they won't.

10 hours ago, Stokestack said:

the lack of a reference to it in Designer

If you search affinity.help/designer/English.lproj/index.html for "skew", you will be shown as a result… wait for it: affinity.help/designer/English.lproj/pages/ObjectControl/rotateShear.html

Note that the word "skew" doesn't appear in the text itself, but apparently it's been included as a keyword in a search index somewhere.
On the gradient fill help pages, "(skewed)" is also referenced as synonym to "sheared".

Hope that helps.

• 2 years later...

Sorry if I might have overlooked that in this long topic, but referring to "the function is already there, just use the transform filter in AP" I would like to add that it is not possible (at least i haven't found any way) to use the transform filter with all functionality that is required for advanced creation of graphics. 

For example if I have a rectangle box and want to give the bottom corners a perspective skew I would like to use a shift click or extra touch on ipad and be able to move both corners simultaneously. With the function missing I can't even create a clean perspectively transformed object because I have to do it freehand and have to estimate my left and right side of the bottom or use guides to which it doesn't snap.

So a free transform filter is not the same as using it as an extra field in the transform panel where I would like to type in numeric values for example and be able to select if I have free transform by hand or numeric values for symmetrical objects.

Please add that function in Designer as well as Photo, for vector and pixel. Without forcing to rasterize a layer.

This is a serious issue and a basic requirement for professional graphic design. 

3 hours ago, devendra said:

on ipad

So why posting here in an archived and retired thread for Affinity v1 which won't be ever updated with any new features anyway…?

44 minutes ago, loukash said:

So why posting here in an archived and retired thread for Affinity v1 which won't be ever updated with any new features anyway…?

As I found countless of similar threads it was hard to pick one and usually if something is solved years later you find it in the last entries of popular topics. I came here via google as i find searching inside the forum very tiresome so I make in site search with google which has better matches to my questions. 

But thank you for pointing out it deals with V1, I had not noticed. So do you know if this was issue was solved in V2? I would appreciate a link to an up-to-date info, anyone else who stumbles in here might profit from that, too. I am looking for solutions in V2 and info about resolving updates in the near future. 
Thank you!

I take it from the last post, in 2024 there still is no apparent way to skew an object?

(in AD and AP, regardless of the version, just to be clear. I‘d get any upgrade to be able to so this, so I don’t care about version numbers, please tell me the number that will do!)