You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Insert Targert tools?

The help files aren't very helpful.  They don't show you HOW to do something, they just tell you that you can. So, my question is, HOW do you use the Insert Target tools?   I know how to Paste inside but not understanding how to use these tools.  Can anyone help?

Windows 10 Home
Affinity Designer 1.6.4.104
Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104

• Staff

Hi MaryLou,

With an object selected, press the Insert inside the selection button to paste or draw an object clipped inside the selected object. Same for the other buttons (Insert at the top of the layer, Insert behind the selection): select an object in the Layers panel or on the canvas press those buttons and the object you draw (or paste) next will be placed above or below the object you selected initially.

Thanks, MEB.  I followed your instructions and did fine with drawing a shape, pressed Insert Inside Selection, then drew another shape half-way over the first shape and it worked perfectly. 

Tried it again using the Pen tool... again, was successful. 

However, I can't seem to get the paste work.  I copied a shape first, then drew a second shape.  Activated the Insert Inside Selection, then pasted but what happens is, it pastes over the original shape instead of inside the shape.  What did I do wrong?

Windows 10 Home
Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104

• Staff

Hi MaryLou,

From your description seems you are doing everything correctly. Are you sure the object is being pasted over the original shape and not inside the shape you have drawn? 

Here's a video clip showing what may be happening. When i paste the letters they appear to have been placed over the original letters - and they are - however they are invisible. When i move them, they appear invisible because they are clipped inside the shape i have drawn and are only visible inside its area.

Oh dear.... another brain leak!!!  Will try again.

This is a little different than my forum in that once you select a file, you don't have to attach it separately.  It's there now.

post-28632-0-83754200-1484697215_thumb.jpg

Windows 10 Home
Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104

• Staff

That's working as expected. The pink heart was placed inside the Red heart. By this i mean, when you paste it Affinity pastes it over the original pink heart on the canvas, however it's not visible because it's now clipped inside the red rectangle. Do the following: after you paste the pink rectangle, go to the Layers panel and uncheck the original pink heart - you will see that the pasted pink rectangle is not visible (because it's clipped inside the red hear and so is only visible when it's dragged to inside the red heart area. 

The movie clip i attached in my previous post shows exactly this. When i paste the letters they appear to have been placed over the original letters - and they are - however they are invisible because they are clipped inside the shape i have drawn and so are only visible when dragged to inside its area.

I understand that it is clipped, but how does this differ from Paste Inside?  It gets complicated with clipping, paste inside, insert inside.   Do they all do the same thing?

Windows 10 Home
Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104

I could see that in the Layers panel. What confused me is why would a program have 3 different tools that do the exact same thing?  This made me think there had to be some sort of difference in the end result.  It's so EASY to use Paste Inside whereas dragging things down in the layers panel to "nest" them is much more complicated for a beginner and so is the Insert Inside Selection. 

You've answered my question...  and now that I know they all do the same thing, I can stop stressing over it!  :)  I'll stick with the Paste Inside. That makes more sense to me.  Thanks a bunch for your help!!

Windows 10 Home
Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104