You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo can't open raw files from SD card

Opening photos in raw format (.nef) from SD card directly is not possible. AP says the card is read only medium (it is not).

Anyone can confirm this?

My conf:

Macbook Pro 2012

SD Card is OK – system can read and write it, Photoshop opens the same files from the same card with no problems.

Problem seems to be just with AP.

Is this a bug or feature request?

Is this a bug or feature request?

Don't know but it's certainly not at all expected ... Have you tried any debugging such as saving the card to a file and trying "Open with" for any of the images?

Retina iMac (4K display, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM) OS X 10.11.6  Capture One 10.

Copying the RAW*** to your desktop will certainly

reduce access time as the file would be readily

available from there!

*** Thanks Aeros4

www.kodiakmedia.at

TeamViewer: 668 015 544

If personal taste is involved,           Light is free,                       Mother Nature provides the light
discussion is pointless.                   capturing it is NOT.               but talent renders the image.
                                                                                                                        (Charlychuck)

I believe the OP was referring to NEF RAW files and there is a problem with opening NEF files in Windows. Since I load the files to my hard drive in a dedicated folder, I then have no trouble opening them in Capture One, then export as TIFF or JPEG. This is in W10 . Without C1 I used a Dedicated Nikon program that I seem to remember being s free download. Check out the Nikon site and look for the Mac version of Capture NX-D. Check out https://nikon-viewnx-2.secursoft.net/?network=ContentSearch&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=US%3A%20Design%20Photography%20Software&utm_term=Download%20Nikon%20ViewNX&utm_content=nikon-viewnx-2 

I'm sure this will be your fix.  :D

I have had NO luck in opening ANY NEF files from either my D3100 or D7100. Affinity crashes immediately if I try to open any NEF files. iMac returns message "REPORT Problem To APPLE".

Purchased this as a beginner about three months ago and have only just taken to processing NEF but as yet have been unable to open a file.

Do the files need to be converted to another (typically DNG) format to open as now failed to open any of 150 frames in Nikon NEF. Must confess it is a good program for JPGs but if this is the future of Affinity I will look elsewhere. iMac OSX 10.8.5 Mountain Lion.

Don't know but it's certainly not at all expected ... Have you tried any debugging such as saving the card to a file and trying "Open with" for any of the images?

Yes, I have proceed some debugging this morning.

Files work fine when moved to HDD.

The problem was that although my Nikon and Fuji is able to write the cards, my Macbook is not. To „fix“ this, I have locked and unlocked the card with the switch on the card.

So the problem is not related to opening RAW files from card, the issue is that AP won't open the file form locked card, Photoshop does (and some other apps).

However it is a rare scenario to open files directly from card, I usually transfer my photos to HDD.

I believe the OP was referring to NEF RAW files and there is a problem with opening NEF files in Windows.

Yep, that's why I drew out the fact that I was using CR2s - it was just another data point. Odd that the "brand" of Raw file would matter particularly.

Oh - and the OP is on Mac.

Keith Reeder

Kieth I had exactly the same problem in PC and was aware the OP is on Mac. I hope he tries the fix I offered as it worked for me. I don't have to use the work around as my RAW editor will open NEF's. I then export as TIFF's and AP has no problem with. I hope Henry tries my advice as it is free and so is the download from Nikon.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.