You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Default object properties as last used object selected

I'm having some issues working with object properties on Designer.

I want the default vector properties to be the same as a previous made object. On illustrator that was very easy, select and object and the next one you draw will have exactly the same properties. (Current object sets the defeault properties)

On Designer im struggling to set the current properties. I know that i cant select and copy and object and paste properties only, but that doesn't modifies the current default properties (And doesn't preserve all properties, like gradient lines). Also i must paste style on all new objects as pasting style does not change the default properties.

Question is. Does Designer have a way to change current properties based on and object as illustrator does? Is the one thing that makes me work slower than on illustrator at this moment.

Hi Daniel,

I do not know if it is possible to do directly what you want in AD.

As a workaround, you can create a new style from your vector object in the studio. When you draw the next vector object you can apply the style of your first object. Gradients and effects are transferred.

You can thus keep all your styles in a category to use them at will.

You will still have to apply the style after creating each new vector object.

Maybe someone will have a simpler solution.

I hope this will help you.

post-37692-0-45999200-1484669158_thumb.png

Thanks Reglico

Although is a good workaround, styles is not a practical option, as on complex graphics it will end with a lot of styles. What i search is for a most effective way to pick up properties, on the fly.

The curious thing is that Designer does it in part. If you select an object and then click on a blank area, part of the properties are passed onto the default settings, but not all of them.

For example, picture yourself using a blue dashed line of 1 pt width. If I select and object with a gradient solid line of 3pt width and click on blank area, next line i draw will have the gradient, but will still be dashed and 1pt wide. Thats weird, is like half way of how illustrator does.

The key is that at this point i can't find an easy way to pick an object properties and made them default.

I wonder if there is not a bug because after many tests with your example, I do not always get the same result: after selecting the shape of 3 pt with a gradient border I get for the new line either:

- Dotted line of 1 pt blue
- Dotted line of 1 pt with gradient
- Continuous line of 3 pt with gradient (expected behavior)
- Dotted line of 3 pt with gradient

When I get the 3 pt line with gradient, if I select the blue dotted line of 1 pt, the new stroke I draw remains at 3 pt and with gradient.

If I then select the blue line of 1 pt dotted, the new stroke remains dashed and 1 pt but keeps the gradient.

All this is completely random, it is an uncontrollable and really bizarre behavior.

W10 (64 bits)    AD 1.5.1.43

Daniel,

Have you reviewed the built-in help topic "Object defaults" (in the Objects Control section of the table of contents)? It says in part:

When you create new objects, their appearance is initially determined by the default settings for the particular object you are creating.
These defaults can be changed in the current document, saved globally for future documents or returned to factory settings at any time. Synchronizing defaults lets you base a new default on the currently selected object, with the option to save the defaults or revert to saved defaults if needed.

The following sections explain how to use these options.

Also, the last used fill & stroke width, type, pressure curve, & alignment object properties should be retained when you create new objects. Is this not working for you?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Daniel,

Have you reviewed the built-in help topic "Object defaults" (in the Objects Control section of the table of contents)? It says in part:

Hi R C-R,

Thank you for your post, for my part I had missed this chapter, I had not looked for the right place, I was rather in the lines. I feel a little stupid! :(

So my second answer to Daniel is now null and void, for me everything works perfectly now. :)

I'm afraid not, R C-R

The sync values button is not preserving the values (Yes, it makes them appear in the color palette, but as son as I start a new vector, it reverts to default.)

I thing this is a bug, because, with nothing selected, the color and stroke with appears to be correct on palettes, but as soon as i start a new shape, are made with different settings.

Also, Designer is not preserving the values on the las object made, or it does it randomly or only partialy.

In any case is slowing down my workflow.

Reglico, I think as you. It seems very random. Sometimes does not preserve any value, sometimes all and sometimes partially. I don't think is a system related issue, as you are on Windows 10 and I am on MacOS 10.12.2 so it seems an app issue.

Well, tried do delete app and dump preferences and reinstall and no news.

On the sync values, it seems that is syncing them only for pre-made shapes (square, circle…) but not for the vector tool. As soon as I make the second bezier point it changes to default color. Curiously when i end the path and deselect it, the palettes revert to the synced values. And this is not happening always.

I'll try more options tomorrow, is late here.

I'm afraid not, R C-R

The sync values button is not preserving the values (Yes, it makes them appear in the color palette, but as son as I start a new vector, it reverts to default.)

I thing this is a bug, because, with nothing selected, the color and stroke with appears to be correct on palettes, but as soon as i start a new shape, are made with different settings.

Also, Designer is not preserving the values on the las object made, or it does it randomly or only partialy.

In any case is slowing down my workflow.

Reglico, I think as you. It seems very random. Sometimes does not preserve any value, sometimes all and sometimes partially. I don't think is a system related issue, as you are on Windows 10 and I am on MacOS 10.12.2 so it seems an app issue.

Daniel,

For my part, with the advice given by R C-R, everything is in order for me.

By selecting the object that will give properties to the next one and by making "synchronize from the selection" in "default settings" of the "Edit" menu, the properties of the selected trait or object are reproduced on the new one Object or line and do not change until a new object is selected and synchronized.

I hope on Mac you will have the same behavior.

Well, thanks to your indications I have refined the issue more.

It seems that the problem is that is not syncing correctly on the pen tool. On all other tools is seems to work fine, but on pen tool, only the stroke color and width is maintained.

Curiously this morning it was syncing nothing at all, but at least now i know that is a pen tool issue.

Is an advance.

Well, thanks to your indications I have refined the issue more.

It seems that the problem is that is not syncing correctly on the pen tool. On all other tools is seems to work fine, but on pen tool, only the stroke color and width is maintained.

Curiously this morning it was syncing nothing at all, but at least now i know that is a pen tool issue.

Is an advance.

Perhaps a problem on Mac because for me all the tools are working on Windows.

Good luck for after, I hope everything will work out for you.

The original complaint is still valid though, right?

I mean why should we have to go to a pull down and then a fly out. 

It should be.... click on an object, get those settings.

(another workaround seems to be to select an object, go to color panel, flip stroke/fill, flip back. New object will have those attributes. Easier going to submenu  :rolleyes: )

I mean why should we have to go to a pull down and then a sub directory. 

Indeed, it would be ideal! Perhaps in the future... :)

Daniel, please try this:

1. Draw a shape with the Pen tool, making sure "Use fill" is checked in the Context toolbar.

2. Whatever fill color it uses, with the shape still selected, change it to some other color.

3. Likewise, change its stroke width, pressure curve, and/or stroke alignment to something else.

4. Draw anything else, another Pen tool shape, a rectangle, whatever.

Does the shape drawn in step 4 use the settings set in steps 2 & 3, or does it revert to the defaults used in step 1? If the former, this is working as expected.

5. Now, draw some other shapes, setting each one to a variety of different fill & stroke colors, pressure curves, stroke styles (like solid, dashed, or none), etc. It doesn't matter what settings you use as long as each shape is clearly different from the others.

6. Select any one of these shapes (including the one made with the Pen tool) using the Move tool.

7. From the Edit menu > Defaults choose Synchronize from Selection (or use the Defaults button in the main toolbar if you have it set to display the two defaults buttons).

8. Draw a new shape. It doesn't matter if it is with the Pen tool or using one of the predefined shapes.

9. Repeat steps 6 through 8 but select another shape in step 6. 

In every case does the new shape use the settings you synchronized to in step 7? If so, this is working as expected.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

The original complaint is still valid though, right?

I mean why should we have to go to a pull down and then a fly out. 

1. You don't have to go to a menu or pull down if you have the Defaults buttons set to appear in the main toolbar, at least for synchronizing from a selection or reverting to its defaults.

2. if you just want to move a shape & continue to create new ones using the last or synced settings, then just clicking on it & getting its settings would be extremely annoying.

Affinity Photo 

Ok. Now it seems to work fine.

As soon as I activated the use fill option, all strange behaviors had synced flawlessly, event the one from this morning on which a dashed stroke was stuck on all tools. Also I tested on some documents that had issues and now they all sync good.

I've been having this random problems since versión 1, and this is the first time that is working good.

I hope it will remain this way. This are so many options for a thing that should be more simple. I love Designer but there are some parts that are a bit over-thinked or overcomplicated, like this one.

Many thanks R C-R and all of you.  

1. You don't have to go to a menu or pull down if you have the Defaults buttons set to appear in the main toolbar, at least for synchronizing from a selection or reverting to its defaults.

2. if you just want to move a shape & continue to create new ones using the last or synced settings, then just clicking on it & getting its settings would be extremely annoying.

Ah, toolbar. Much much better!!

Still wish it was hotkeyable (haven't seen that option). To me it's needed far too often to have to leave the canvas.

This are so many options for a thing that should be more simple. I love Designer but there are some parts that are a bit over-thinked or overcomplicated, like this one.

There are many options because there are many different workflows where using one or another of them would be very efficient & the others much less so. Once you get familiar with how last used, sync from selection, revert default, save, etc. each work, don't be surprised if you find it very useful to switch among them multiple times while working on a document.

Affinity Photo 

This are so many options for a thing that should be more simple. I love Designer but there are some parts that are a bit over-thinked or overcomplicated, like this one.

I agree with you.

Glad that the problem is solved for you too.

Ah, toolbar. Much much better!!

Still wish it was hotkeyable (haven't seen that option). To me it's needed far too often to have to leave the canvas.

The four Edit menu > Defaults items each can be assigned a hot key. In the Keyboard Shortcuts preference section, choose Draw in the first popup, Edit in the second, & scroll down to find those settings (the items appear in the same order as they do in the menus).

Affinity Photo 

The four Edit menu > Defaults items each can be assigned a hot key. In the Keyboard Shortcuts preference section, choose Draw in the first popup, Edit in the second, & scroll down to find those settings (the items appear in the same order as they do in the menus).

AHHH. Fantastic. I must have looked for that a half a dozen times. Thanks.

(that whole shortcut section needs to be searchable. "synchronis(z)e" yields nothing.)

(that whole shortcut section needs to be searchable. "synchronis(z)e" yields nothing.)

Yes, it does! However, for the items that appear on the menus (File, Edit, & so on) the keyboard shortcuts always are listed in the same order as in the menus, which helps finding the one you want a lot.

Affinity Photo 

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Bumbing this. I have the same issue as Daniel.

This is not solved for me. It is literally the most frustrating bug ever because everything else is working so nice.

I select a shape with a "textured" stroke.
When I press the "Syncronize defaults" button only the fill color changes.
Stroke is empty...

This is wracking my workflow. I need to either press the style button or the "paste style" menu entry every songle stroke I do.

Please, please help us solve this annoying issue...

BR Ejnar Brendsdal