You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello, I need some help, im interested in buying affinity designer to be my go to app for android apps development, since I never done any apps yet, im still a newbie (in both, designing and coding), as you know designers should consider the many possible screen densities to support multiple screen app development for android... I saw in your tutorial video that you can export slices to 1x, 2x, 3x etc, now according to android documentation there are a set of six generalized densities: 

• ldpi (low) ~120dpi
  • mdpi (medium) ~160dpi
  • hdpi (high) ~240dpi
  • xhdpi (extra-high) ~320dpi
  • xxhdpi (extra-extra-high) ~480dpi
  • xxxhdpi (extra-extra-extra-high) ~640dpi

The density-independent pixel is equivalent to one physical pixel on a 160 dpi screen (mdpi)..

1. now when I select new document, which settings (dpi) should I choose to support all 6 densities? (detailed answer please?)

2. hdpi has 1.5 conversion rate coming from mdpi, from the video I only saw integer values, so is there a way?

3. what if I'm already working on hdpi document, how can I convert down to mdpi? I didnt see options to downscale

PS. I know this got asked before but please provide assets for android development.

thank you.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi Mr_IzeQ :)

I've not exported Android slices before but according to this useful site LDPI is not longer supported, so that can be ignored. You will want to start your base design using MDPI.

In the Slices Panel you will need to enter 1.5x to create assets for HDPI, 2x for XHDPI, 3x for XXHDPI and 4x for XXXHDPI.

Not sure if you're going to be able to export back to mdpi from your hdpi document though, might be better off converting your existing document to mdpi and working from there.

Hi,

One of my main reasons for purchasing AD was for the creation of Android launcher icons and Play Store graphics etc. so hopefully I'll be able to shed some light. There might be better ways but this works for me...

I've set up an AD 'template' with three Artboards:

• A large 'scratch' artboard at no particular size for testing ideas etc.
  • A 1024x500 artboard for the Play Store Feature Graphic
  • A 864x864 artboard (as recommended by Google here) for the 512x512 High-res Icon and the launcher icons

I've set up the export persona with a slice for the 1024x500 artboard and another slice for the launcher icons etc. Within the launcher slice I've set up a number of export sizes corresponding to each of the various icon sizes required for ldpi, mdpi etc. and for the 512x512 hi-res play store graphic, each at the correct dpi and size. Each of the output files are also set to automatically go into the correct folders (mipmap-mdpi etc.). For each of the launcher icons I've set both the width and the height for the output file. You can set these by either picking from a drop-down or by entering the size manually. For instance; for the mdpi I've entered '48w, 48h' and in the export settings fly-out I've set 160DPI as well as the folder it needs to go into.

I hope that makes sense! I've included some screenshots to make it a bit clearer.

post-45321-0-69575900-1486165092_thumb.png

post-45321-0-32391900-1486165101_thumb.png

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

One of my main reasons for purchasing AD was for the creation of Android launcher icons and Play Store graphics etc. so hopefully I'll be able to shed some light. There might be better ways but this works for me...

I've set up an AD 'template' with three Artboards:

• A large 'scratch' artboard at no particular size for testing ideas etc.
  • A 1024x500 artboard for the Play Store Feature Graphic
  • A 864x864 artboard (as recommended by Google here) for the 512x512 High-res Icon and the launcher icons

I've set up the export persona with a slice for the 1024x500 artboard and another slice for the launcher icons etc. Within the launcher slice I've set up a number of export sizes corresponding to each of the various icon sizes required for ldpi, mdpi etc. and for the 512x512 hi-res play store graphic, each at the correct dpi and size. Each of the output files are also set to automatically go into the correct folders (mipmap-mdpi etc.). For each of the launcher icons I've set both the width and the height for the output file. You can set these by either picking from a drop-down or by entering the size manually. For instance; for the mdpi I've entered '48w, 48h' and in the export settings fly-out I've set 160DPI as well as the folder it needs to go into.

I hope that makes sense! I've included some screenshots to make it a bit clearer.

Thank you Beaker. Even though i understood slightly but still a bit confused.

What about designing an app interface for both android and iphone?

What resolution should i start with?  I have actually asked this question in forum : https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/36603-ad-question-to-other-uxui-designers-about-creating-assets-for-multiple-mobile-screen/

Once again thank you. 

Follow me: Instagram | Dribbble

No problem ;-)

Yes, I can understand why it might be a bit confusing. I'm sure I've seen it shown in one of the Affinity tutorial videos but I can't seem to find it now. Hopefully someone else here might be able to explain it better than I can or have a link to a video you can watch.

I can't help you with the UI design I'm afraid as I haven't used it for that yet.

No problem ;-)

Yes, I can understand why it might be a bit confusing. I'm sure I've seen it shown in one of the Affinity tutorial videos but I can't seem to find it now. Hopefully someone else here might be able to explain it better than I can or have a link to a video you can watch.

I can't help you with the UI design I'm afraid as I haven't used it for that yet.

No problem. Your tips helped a lot anyway. I am reading different articles and slowly figuring things out. I still haven't properly get it.

For example in one case :

A designer suggested for Iphone :

Design in iphone 6 resolution. then export to 1x 2x 3x. He said the xcode will adjust things. Makes sense but what about iphone device like iphone 5 or other with different ratio. Will it adjust automatically, this is confusing me?

Same he said for android :

Design for a medium size resolution and export it to mdpi, hdpi etc using plugins. He used sketch. Make sense. But what about the crazy android devices with different aspect ratios. Do i need to create a separate version. 

Anyways, hopefully i will figure it out and maybe write about it to help others as well.

Follow me: Instagram | Dribbble