You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[AP 1.5.1.45 beta WIN] File size issue

Hi,

I have an .afphoto file that has been 'Saved As' from a previously large file.

Reduced the file to 15x20 and all layers except four adjustment layers deleted (no history saved).

As far as I can see I have removed everything but the file size is 1,209,478KB

Could support have a look and see what I've missed or what the issue is?

(file is obviously to large to upload)

Is there a 'purge' command?

Thanks

Regards

issue has been reported in other threads, the obvious problem of steadily growing file size has never been confirmed. It does NOT help to clear snapshots and history. Even if you open a 16bit tiff file, save it as afphoto and convert it to 8bit, the size is growing, instead of becoming half as big.

The only thing which might help: export it as bitmap and create a new afphoto file from it.

see: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/33262-afphoto-files-are-getting-bigger-and-bigger/

Asser82, thanks for the link, that's pretty much what I'm finding.

I actually don't mind the file size getting larger but if you remove everything from the project I would expect the file to get considerably smaller that's the bit that's strange. Also I'd imagine that there would be a substantial overall performance improvement if the file sizes were more proportional to content, but that's just an uninformed guess.

Regards

in computer science the relation between size and performance can go in different directions. on the one hand you can get slower if you need to traverse large data sets. on the other hand you can get faster if you can cache calculation results, so that you do not need to recalculate.

how many dots are there per inch and how many bits per channel?

Indeed as does compressing data.

It's a 8bit file at 300dpi the original file was 16bit 300dpi though.

I wonder if the original raw import data is still kicking around the file. I've always imagined some time in the future to be able to mode non-destructively back and forward between the develop and photo personas, always thought that would be amazing. If that was able to happen all the original raw data would have to be kept no matter what happens in the photo persona. If that's the case then a 'Save with Raw Data' tick box (like history) would be ideal to allow the user to remove it if not required.

Anyway fun to speculate but not really helping the AP guys

Regards

So it is 4500x6000 points, with 4x1 Byte (A, R, G, B ) per point. So without any sort of compression it is 108,000,000 Bytes / 1024 = 105,468 KB

What is stored in the other 1.1 GB if there is only one layer and no history neither snapshots?

Btw. did you try to delete all snapshots? I mean, it never helped me, but perhaps it works in your case. Check your View -> Studio -> Snapshots panel.

So I took a copy of the .afphoto and deleted absolutely everything I could find

ALL layers

no snapshots

no save history

no channel selections

Anything else I should check?

And saved the file.... It INCREASED in size!

Opening and saving speeds are actually impressive considering   :) 

Interesting, your file gave me a clue to an issue with my file though

In your restore snapshots it lists <None>  Mine was blank (no text)

On checking the snapshots dialogue it was blank but when clicking in it I could select two blank snapshots!

So deleting them and saving the file reduced it from 1,209,478 KB to 170,822 KB that's better!

So although I don't know how those blank snapshots got there and I don't think you should be able to create a snapshot with no name, for me anyway this looks like a clear case of user error.  :unsure:

Your file does still suggest there may be an issue but for me anyway I'm happy with that file size now

Regards

I wonder if the original raw import data is still kicking around the file. I've always imagined some time in the future to be able to mode non-destructively back and forward between the develop and photo personas, always thought that would be amazing. If that was able to happen all the original raw data would have to be kept no matter what happens in the photo persona. If that's the case then a 'Save with Raw Data' tick box (like history) would be ideal to allow the user to remove it if not required.

It can only be that AP stores many steps in the image - as complete pixel information and not as a processing step. When a 16-bit image is converted to an 8-bit image, AP still stores a complete 16-bit image - in addition, and irrespective of the history.

But this has only a meaning to me when I get back into the 16bit image. And if I see in the "Develop Persona" the settings made, in order to adapt them further. That's not the case. In the Develop Persona, all controls are once again in their original state. Why is the 16bit state saved? And so it is also with other things.

But the most important thing is: I have no influence on it!

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.