You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Which one did you buy? There are two. The inpainting brush tool is in Affinity Photo. It is below the Blur Tool, unless you got Designer by mistake.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

The Healing Brush Tool is on a flyout with several other tools, one of which is the Inpainting Brush Tool. Click on the little white triangle to expand the flyout, or press the keyboard shortcut J repeatedly to cycle through the various tools.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I have been hesitant to post this because it is a "use at your own risk" hack & (maybe) only applies to the Mac versions, but this seems as good a place as any to mention it. One reason this "where is the xxx tool?" issue comes up so often is the tiny little white triangle overlaid on Tool panel icons that have fly-outs is easy to miss.

On the Mac versions this overlay is supplied by the file "FlyoutMarker.png" in the application's /Contents/Resources/ folder or by the FlyoutMarker@2x.png file for Retina displays. (For example, for Designer the full path name is /Applications/Affinity Designer.app/Contents/Resources/FlyoutMarker.png.)

It turns out these files can be opened & edited in Affinity Photo, & by authenticating as an admin user you can replace the originals with your edited versions. So what I did was to replace the file with a version using bright red instead of white, & for good measure extended the triangle's transparent fade by one pixel, which slightly increased the area in the icon for which the fly-out occurs. (I think it works for anything over 50% opaque, but I have not really tested for that.)

So far I have done this only with the 1X version for Designer. It seems to work perfectly well for that, but please understand it may not for Photo or for the 2X "Retina" sized icons in either app, so you are completely on your own if you try this and nobody, most particularly me & definitely not Affinity, is responsible if your app crashes, your computer melts down, or your dog suddenly dies, if you try it.

All that said & I hope completely understood, attached is my edited FlyoutMarker.png file. Try it if you dare.

post-3524-0-44760500-1484612371.png

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thank you all,  just found it and all seems to be working fine.    :)

Remember you can always customise your toolbox. View > Customise Tools. I am not a great fan of fly outs and have placed the Inpainting brush directly in the toolbox so as it is aways accessible without the need for the fly out. I have done this with the Freehand Selection tool and a couple of others as well. Very handy.

HI 

I new to Affinity so still working my way around it.  I seem to have lost (after using) the impainting brush!

I was having difficulty trying to deselect it to use something else, came across the deselect brush on the flyouts, now it's 

disappeared for good.  

Please can anyone advise me how to restore it.

Many thanks , B.