Nearly four years after the initial post, folks are still begging for this simple feature offered by every other app in my arsenal that uses guides of any kind.  May I politely suggest that someone, somewhere within Affinity attempt a primarily pale blue project?  It's simply impossible.  Whether or not I can use AP is determined by the color of the project.  It's absurd.

10 hours ago, commiepinko said:

Nearly four years after the initial post, folks are still begging for this simple feature offered by every other app in my arsenal that uses guides of any kind.  May I politely suggest that someone, somewhere within Affinity attempt a primarily pale blue project?  It's simply impossible.  Whether or not I can use AP is determined by the color of the project.  It's absurd.

It does seem odd - I can't imagine that it's that hard a feature to add.

Affinity is very frustrating - I really want to love their stuff but it always just falls short of truly professional applications.

I think the big issue is their programmers have never really worked in a production industry role - the kind of "crap, I have to get 10 ads out by 5pm and sent to San Francisco" kinda world. they probably look at our requests and think "why the hell would you want that?". Us old industry folks know why we need them.

I think they're going for the pro sumer market, which is a shame but perhaps a bigger market than trying to appeal to Advertising, Marketing agencies and printers.

I think someone will go after the same market as Adobe CS, but probably won't be $70!

Come on Serif, you’ve implemented every other request, Photo and Designer are sooooo freakin’ close to being everything the disgruntled Adobe user needs and wants, we are all waiting for this little tweak. A slider, to change the guide colours is ESSENTIAL. Any project that’s predominantly blue is just not possible if you can’t see the guides. Please please please add this. 

I keep banging my head against the wall with Publisher! I really do.

I keep TRYING to use it, not like it, simply use it but at every step there is an issue that stops me. The latest issue Ive discovered as other clearly already have is that we cant change the colour of guides!! Im using guides because of another issue I found yesterday in that the origin point is relative to a spread and not the page you are working on. So I thought id make better use of guides to save me having top manually calculate positions on a right hand page. So I start a new project, cyan background, Drag a guide.... Close Publisher.

13 minutes ago, Nazario said:

I keep banging my head against the wall with Publisher! I really do.

I keep TRYING to use it, not like it, simply use it but at every step there is an issue that stops me. The latest issue Ive discovered as other clearly already have is that we cant change the colour of guides!! Im using guides because of another issue I found yesterday in that the origin point is relative to a spread and not the page you are working on. So I thought id make better use of guides to save me having top manually calculate positions on a right hand page. So I start a new project, cyan background, Drag a guide.... Close Publisher.

Sigh - so true.

Affinity Publisher is like that friend who is a really good person, who you'd like to hang out with more but keeps on doing dumb things. BUT it's also so much cheaper than the other program so I guess you get what you pay for.

I've given up trying to use it for production tasks and stick with CS. Perhaps in v2 these issues will be fixed but I fear as the team is apparently made up of non-production industry types this will continue to be a consumer level product (which isn't bad - it's just not a pro-level application)

37 minutes ago, F+C said:

Sigh - so true.

Affinity Publisher is like that friend who is a really good person, who you'd like to hang out with more but keeps on doing dumb things. BUT it's also so much cheaper than the other program so I guess you get what you pay for.

I've given up trying to use it for production tasks and stick with CS. Perhaps in v2 these issues will be fixed but I fear as the team is apparently made up of non-production industry types this will continue to be a consumer level product (which isn't bad - it's just not a pro-level application)

How long has It been out? 2 years? In that time I am still yet to produce ANYTHING with Publisher! As you quite rightly say its just not a professional option. 

I like your analogy as its very true. There are so many illogical decisions across the suite. The most obvious solution to a simple action is right there in front of you but for some reason Serif come up with a convoluted illogical way of doing things that just adds confusion, extra clicks and frustration.

The single most annoying one being the transform window. Instead of being logical and tabbing from X to Y when inputting coordinates. It tabs X to Width to Y to Height!

Another being the colour dropper tool that you have to needlessly click on the inkwell next to the dropper after you've already selected a colour to 'actually' select the colour!

Theres loads more and I do moan about them a lot on here, mainly because of the frustrations, but I really want Affinity to get it right with efficiency and intuitiveness of the UI so this suite can be the best it can be. My criticisms are not with malice just purely constructive but they are, unfortunately, many.

Regarding the 'non-production industry' team, im not sure how true that is but I had my suspicions when in the Publisher announcement keynote the guy creating a brochure in the demo used PNG images! Did anyone else from a print background cringe at that?

yeah - totally

I think they'd have to get some "older production folks" to consult on their application to get it to be a real pro level application.

28 minutes ago, Nazario said:

Another being the colour dropper tool that you have to needlessly click on the inkwell next to the dropper after you've already selected a colour to 'actually' select the colour!

Are you sure about that? I never need to needlessly click the inkwell to select it...this has been the case for a while  

1192844651_Screenshot2020-09-23at16_15_00.png.d9f9c286cfcbde80c45e3f8e97cfb6b7.png

16 minutes ago, Nazario said:

Im on about the ink dropper in the 'swatches' pane that works completely differently to the one in the toolbar in your example.

Then yes it is a pain, I don't use that dropper