You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

It's so weird.

I wonder if this is a much more complicated feature to add than we think. The Guides manager has a lot of options so it's a very odd omission.

I wish companies would monitor these forms and reply. Imagine if they said "hey there, we tried to add this feature but it's gonna take much more work than we thought. I don't think we could get it implemented and tested for the next release or so". We all would think "drag, but ok". 

Silence is never a good reply to ones customers. It's ok to say no, just don't make it  seem like you ignore your customers.

• Staff

Hi @F+C,
We have not been silent regarding this or other issues. I've replied to this same thread in page three (link) and a couple more times in the first pages. This was added as an improvement request to our log. I agree it's a bit odd it's missing considering you can change the colour or other guide types. Thanks for your feedback.

I asked about guide colour and the ability to save workspaces at the Photography Show 3 years ago. I love Affinity and all three products, so I want them to succeed and be around as long as possible. Many of the latest added features I will never use but Workspaces are really useful, Guides are used all the time and thin blue lines are totally pants !

Sorry just seen MEB reply just as I added this, yes I know you replied so I was super excited for V 1.9. Will wait patiently ...

Edited by diarbyrag
saw extra reply while typing mine

• Staff

Hi @diarbyrag,
The ability to save workspaces was implemented in v1.9 (out today). I don't have an eta for the guide's colour, sorry. I understand three years is quite a bit to wait for a single feature but we haven't been working on this only. Quite a few other features requested by other users were also implemented during this time. As we said a few times, we have limited resources to work with. It's not always possible to implement new features/changes as fast as users would like but we are doing our best to (try to) fulfil them. Thanks for your patience and support.

Hi MEB,

I understand you're not a huge company and I support you every way I can, I have all three apps, bought the Publisher Workbook and have downloaded the latest of all of them this afternoon, which is why I knew the guide color could not be changed,  I have converted two of my friends to Affinity away from another company with an A in it's name, Thanks to you I am also free of their stuff Yeh!

Just been setting up the workspaces and it's absolutely the dogs B****cks :-) so thanks to you and the team for that.

I realise everybody demands different stuff and you can not please them all.

I don't want to go on and on so I'll wait patiently as I said but just please try to put it at the top of the most wanted list now this release is out, much more useful than more special effects.

Cheers
Gary

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

+1 

The list of things that are missing in Affinity is very long (and I don't compare it to illustrator), but I couldn't imagine there was a missing like this.

The guides blue color by default seems correct at first glance, but in use turns out to be too present.

So much so that I prefer to do without the guides 😐

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Once we get the ability to change guide colour, can I suggest that when using guide manager, that the selected guide be highlighted on the page and be nudge-able via arrow keys this would be a massive help with pages that have say 50 guides - would love the ability to use the transform panel to quickly and precisely place guides👍 

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Bonjour à tous.
Comme d'habitude, je suis en retard.
Ce qui serait également topissime est de mettre en place un éditeur de grille*, qui permette par exemple de créer x rangées, y colonnes avec une gouttière n à partir du bord de feuille (page) ou des marges ?
Et idéalement, on pourrait le faire aussi sur le gabarit, sur le recto ou le verso ou les deux.
Tout en conservant la liste de coordonnées des guides créés (quitte à exagérer...)
Merci (par avance)
* outil de base pour la mise en page :)

Hello to all.
As usual, I'm late.
What would also be great is to set up a grid editor*, which allows for example to create x rows, y columns with a gutter n from the edge of the sheet (page) or from the margins ?
And ideally, we could also do it on the template, on the front or the back or both.
While keeping the list of coordinates of the created guides (even if it is too much...)
Thanks (in advance)
* basic tool for the layout :)

Toujours pas !
Windows 10 Pro 21H2 - Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz - 16 Gb Ram - GeForce GT 650M - Intel HD 4000
Affinity Photo | Affinity Designer | Affinity Publisher | 2

44 minutes ago, uneMule said:

What would also be great is to set up a grid editor*, which allows for example to create x rows, y columns with a gutter n from the edge of the sheet (page) or from the margins ?
And ideally, we could also do it on the template, on the front or the back or both.
While keeping the list of coordinates of the created guides (even if it is too much...)

Like this perhaps...

465560745_ScreenShot2021-05-08at11_40_52AM.thumb.png.cef729c5dceb15ec83a9419ee0955c51.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

@Old Bruce

Oui, le gestionnaire de colonnes est bien… Et des colonnes horizontales ça peut servir 😊
Mais ces guides ne sont pas éditables et sans coordonnées.
Ils ne peuvent pas être masqués avec les repères.
Et dans le gabarit (page maitre), ils sont identiques sur le recto et le verso (ce qui mériterait d'être modifié).
Sauf erreur de ma part.

Yes, the column manager is good... And horizontal columns can be useful 😊
But these guides are not editable and without coordinates.
They can't be hidden with the markers.
And in the template (master page), they are identical on the front and back (which would be worth changing).
Unless I'm mistaken.

Toujours pas !
Windows 10 Pro 21H2 - Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz - 16 Gb Ram - GeForce GT 650M - Intel HD 4000
Affinity Photo | Affinity Designer | Affinity Publisher | 2

• 5 months later...
On 5/8/2021 at 12:58 PM, Dazmondo77 said:

can I suggest that when using guide manager, that the selected guide be highlighted on the page and be nudge-able via arrow keys this would be a massive help with pages that have say 50 guides - would love the ability to use the transform panel to quickly and precisely place guides👍 

Just having another tough time with guide manager - just trying to guess which guide i'm moving on the page - surely when you select a guide it should be highlighted both on the page and in guide manager at the moment it's just a load of trial and error faff

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, artnok said:

Sorry but even with non regular guides, I'm not able to change colors. The color picker does not work...

You're using the color well for the Margin colors (bottom) rather than the color well for the Column Guides (top).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

You're using the color well for the Margin colors (bottom) rather than the color well for the Column Guides (top).

My bad! That's true! Okay then, where can I change the color of guides, regular or not???? 

11 minutes ago, artnok said:

My bad! That's true! Okay then, where can I change the color of guides, regular or not???? 

This can change the color of column guides using the top well. 

You cannot change the color of ruler guides; that's what this topic is about.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I admit I did not read the full 4 pages... As I saw posts like: "how such a dumb feature is not implemented to affinity designer" - blablabla - So ok, this is not possible.
The topic is about knowing if it is possible or not. And it's not. Even if - it's true - this a dumb basic feature that should have enabled for a while... 

I remember back in the early days of the Mac, I thought it was weird that every new version of PageMaker required that old documents be "converted" and how the UI was "just a bit odd" from release to release. (The company I was working at was a Quark user due to it's superior kerning abilities).

I read an interview with someone who was part of the PageMaker team at Aldus, he said it drove them crazy. Everytime they tried to add a simple feature (I remember something about adding a new measurement option or something like that) the whole thing would break. So every new version of PageMaker was almost a re-write of the program (a problem with first to market products). I think it really held them back.

Perhaps this is the case here? This seems to be a feature that would be easy to implement, but I didn't write the code.

I do wish they'd bring on an experienced print production person on their team. They would understand why these little things are so important to people trying to use their products in a professional setting.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...