You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nearly four years after the initial post, folks are still begging for this simple feature offered by every other app in my arsenal that uses guides of any kind.  May I politely suggest that someone, somewhere within Affinity attempt a primarily pale blue project?  It's simply impossible.  Whether or not I can use AP is determined by the color of the project.  It's absurd.

10 hours ago, commiepinko said:

Nearly four years after the initial post, folks are still begging for this simple feature offered by every other app in my arsenal that uses guides of any kind.  May I politely suggest that someone, somewhere within Affinity attempt a primarily pale blue project?  It's simply impossible.  Whether or not I can use AP is determined by the color of the project.  It's absurd.

It does seem odd - I can't imagine that it's that hard a feature to add.

Affinity is very frustrating - I really want to love their stuff but it always just falls short of truly professional applications.

I think the big issue is their programmers have never really worked in a production industry role - the kind of "crap, I have to get 10 ads out by 5pm and sent to San Francisco" kinda world. they probably look at our requests and think "why the hell would you want that?". Us old industry folks know why we need them.

I think they're going for the pro sumer market, which is a shame but perhaps a bigger market than trying to appeal to Advertising, Marketing agencies and printers.

I think someone will go after the same market as Adobe CS, but probably won't be $70!

Come on Serif, you’ve implemented every other request, Photo and Designer are sooooo freakin’ close to being everything the disgruntled Adobe user needs and wants, we are all waiting for this little tweak. A slider, to change the guide colours is ESSENTIAL. Any project that’s predominantly blue is just not possible if you can’t see the guides. Please please please add this. 

• 3 weeks later...

I keep banging my head against the wall with Publisher! I really do.

I keep TRYING to use it, not like it, simply use it but at every step there is an issue that stops me. The latest issue Ive discovered as other clearly already have is that we cant change the colour of guides!! Im using guides because of another issue I found yesterday in that the origin point is relative to a spread and not the page you are working on. So I thought id make better use of guides to save me having top manually calculate positions on a right hand page. So I start a new project, cyan background, Drag a guide.... Close Publisher.

13 minutes ago, Nazario said:

I keep banging my head against the wall with Publisher! I really do.

I keep TRYING to use it, not like it, simply use it but at every step there is an issue that stops me. The latest issue Ive discovered as other clearly already have is that we cant change the colour of guides!! Im using guides because of another issue I found yesterday in that the origin point is relative to a spread and not the page you are working on. So I thought id make better use of guides to save me having top manually calculate positions on a right hand page. So I start a new project, cyan background, Drag a guide.... Close Publisher.

Sigh - so true.

Affinity Publisher is like that friend who is a really good person, who you'd like to hang out with more but keeps on doing dumb things. BUT it's also so much cheaper than the other program so I guess you get what you pay for.

I've given up trying to use it for production tasks and stick with CS. Perhaps in v2 these issues will be fixed but I fear as the team is apparently made up of non-production industry types this will continue to be a consumer level product (which isn't bad - it's just not a pro-level application)

37 minutes ago, F+C said:

Sigh - so true.

Affinity Publisher is like that friend who is a really good person, who you'd like to hang out with more but keeps on doing dumb things. BUT it's also so much cheaper than the other program so I guess you get what you pay for.

I've given up trying to use it for production tasks and stick with CS. Perhaps in v2 these issues will be fixed but I fear as the team is apparently made up of non-production industry types this will continue to be a consumer level product (which isn't bad - it's just not a pro-level application)

How long has It been out? 2 years? In that time I am still yet to produce ANYTHING with Publisher! As you quite rightly say its just not a professional option. 

I like your analogy as its very true. There are so many illogical decisions across the suite. The most obvious solution to a simple action is right there in front of you but for some reason Serif come up with a convoluted illogical way of doing things that just adds confusion, extra clicks and frustration.

The single most annoying one being the transform window. Instead of being logical and tabbing from X to Y when inputting coordinates. It tabs X to Width to Y to Height!

Another being the colour dropper tool that you have to needlessly click on the inkwell next to the dropper after you've already selected a colour to 'actually' select the colour!

Theres loads more and I do moan about them a lot on here, mainly because of the frustrations, but I really want Affinity to get it right with efficiency and intuitiveness of the UI so this suite can be the best it can be. My criticisms are not with malice just purely constructive but they are, unfortunately, many.

Regarding the 'non-production industry' team, im not sure how true that is but I had my suspicions when in the Publisher announcement keynote the guy creating a brochure in the demo used PNG images! Did anyone else from a print background cringe at that?

28 minutes ago, Nazario said:

Another being the colour dropper tool that you have to needlessly click on the inkwell next to the dropper after you've already selected a colour to 'actually' select the colour!

Are you sure about that? I never need to needlessly click the inkwell to select it...this has been the case for a while  

1192844651_Screenshot2020-09-23at16_15_00.png.d9f9c286cfcbde80c45e3f8e97cfb6b7.png

• 1 month later...
On 9/23/2020 at 5:52 PM, Murfee said:

Then yes it is a pain, I don't use that dropper

And that sums it all up... why are the two droppers that look identical, so completely different.

Us from production backgrounds need to get something done, and Affinity is confused about what it delivers to us.

I hadn't thought about the lack of production background programmers, but this argument makes a lot of sense and explains a lot. I hadn't realised the launch demo had the presenter placing a PNG instead of a CMYK image. I'd love to see his face when when those glowing RGB colors print in CMYK. (He'll probably just blame the printer)

On 9/23/2020 at 4:29 PM, F+C said:

Sigh - so true.

I have a friend like that. My wife doesn't let me invite him around to the house any more.

My biggest little issue is the fact that a global swatch doesn't get carried over to a new document. Give a logo a global swatch, copy it, paste it into a new document. Try find that swatch to apply to other elements in this new document. Good luck. (strangely, the logo will still reflect as being in a global swatch, you just can't get it into the swatches palette or even pick it up with the eyedropper). How are we supposed to have consistent corporate colors between documents if global swatches don't follow the object to another document. You have to manually create new global swatches in every single document you work in. Aaaaaargh!

Then the swatches have overprinting, but not the objects. Want to overprint a bit of text... make 2 black swatches. Then the same problem happens when you copy and paste that object to another document. Because the swatch doesn't carry over to the new document, you lose your overprint settings which will probably only show up when you go to print and the business cards don't match the flyer.

I've just put an extensive comment about these little issues that keep the Affinity apps from replacing Adobe on my computers. Please can everyone go add your little issues to it. (not the big stuff... just the little tweaks like guide colors and starting points of page rulers that is leaving the Affinity apps as novelties on our computers, rather than production tools)

• 4 weeks later...

*Sigh*
Just been googling this very issue. I have a design where the background colour of the object is almost identical to the guide colour. And no way to change the guide colour. C'mon guy,s this is such a basic 'Pro' feature that it souldn't even be an issue that it's missing. It's like buying a car without a fuel gauge.

It's the same as not being able to colour 1 bit tiff files, or being able to globally change colours. For a professional designer these are absolute basic features for a design app. You would get way more Print designers flocking to you if you could 'fix' some of these basic features.

Otherwise, the job you have done so far, for the price being asked is nothing short of phenomenal. Keep up the great work!!

• Staff

Hi Sclong137, everyone,
I'm sorry for the delay getting back to you. I agree this is something we should offer as an option. We have done/improved it for a few others (column guides, baseline grids, grids etc) but not for basic guides. I've filled an improvement request for this in the hope we can fix it. Thank you for your feedback/support.

Hi @Sclong137,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

On 11/28/2020 at 12:24 PM, MEB said:

Hi Sclong137, everyone,
I'm sorry for the delay getting back to you. I agree this is something we should offer as an option. We have done/improved it for a few others (column guides, baseline grids, grids etc) but not for basic guides. I've filled an improvement request for this in the hope we can fix it. Thank you for your feedback/support.

Hi @Sclong137,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Effin awesome. Thumbs up from me 🙂

Just created an account to add to the choir… The fact that this has taken four years to even register on the radar of Serif staff as a ticket request is mindboggling. I understand that the Affinity team might be small, but thank god I only had to make a light blue design right about now, because this is truly absurd. I wouldn't be surprised if the users who posted about this months or even years ago went back to Photoshop/Illustrator/Indesign either out of necessity or frustration…

And if as @Sclong137 said, this is caused by a fundamental barrier in the programming, then the code needs to be changed because stuff like this just doesn't fly if you want to be taken seriously as an actual, professional app that offers a professional feature set. When the new version of your application gets the awful Big Sur squircle icon treatment before fixing critical usability issues like this (hello, people with color-blindness who might not even be able to see light blue) then it doesn't reflect well on the team (or management's) priorities.

Not to be overly critical, I think you guys are doing a great job overall, and I know the stress of working in small teams in small companies, but still. Wow. Hope this will get fixed asap.

Well it can be tricky - I remember thinking how odd it was back in the day and just started with this stuff that PageMaker's doc formats would change from version to version. They got "converted" when you opened it with the new version of the program. 

At a User Group meeting I had the chance to meet someone from Aldus and he told me that the way they started the code made it so whenever they added a feature it would often break the whole thing - so they'd need to almost re-write it to get around their limitations.

Programming can be hard and it's hard to know what to focus on (which is why a clear vision from the start is so important) 

AND, this is a $79 program. I think we should keep that in mind.

I'm not disputing the difficulty of programming or anything but this is clearly not a niche issue and has been requested again and again here (and probably in support emails) for years at this point. There's programming difficulty and then there's just bungled management priorities. I'm not saying that's definitely what happened but that something this crucial got ignored for this long is odd to say the least.

...and if you are working at a colour change for the guides, can I suggest you make it possible to remove a guide by dragging it out of the current view rather than having to zoom out and pull it off the side of the document altogether? I know about the guide manager but that’s an even clunkier method. Still loving the value for money aspect but with a few small tweaks, you’ll have Adobe running for the hills. Go for it!

• 1 month later...