helloworld

Affinity Designer freezing/crashing in font dialog

I have issues including freezing/crashing while trying to select font for any text box.

The only reason I can suggest except the software bug is that this might happen due to Korean fonts installed in my computer...

Are there anybody experiencing the same issue with me?

Hi helloworld,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

This is probably due to issues with some font(s) you have installed on your system. Does it crash immediately after you open the font family dropdown or do you have to scroll it a little until it freezes/crashes? This may give you a hint of what font is giving you trouble. Disabling/uninstalling it/them should solve the issue. Let us know if you find out which fonts lead to a crash.

Hey helloworld,

We've seen this before with Korean fonts, a few times actually. I've also had it with some Helvetica variants and occasionally duplicate fonts.

As MEB has said, you need to open your font library and start cutting some fonts and pasting them to a backup folder. You won't need to keep restarting Affinity as it updates the list on the fly. Perhaps cut groups alphabetically until you notice the issue is no longer present and then work your way through the individual fonts one by one until you find the culprit. 

I got the same problem. I just bought the Affinity Designer 2 days from now (and this morning I found that it's on discount! Man it's just right after my purchase...too bad but that's out of the topic LOL). At first it works smooth and fine, even when I use the font dialog to edit the text. But starting from yesterday after I installed a great lot of fonts bought from Fontbundles and some other from fontsquirrel, Affinity Designer got hang and un-responding EVER TIME I click to change fonts. This happened both on the font-name button in the upper context tool bar and in the font dialog studio panel.

I'm using the Windows version of A.D. and using both English and Chinese fonts. But those I installed yesterday was pure English fonts. Will try to delete the fonts I installed yesterday and see if the problem got solved.

[ situation update ]

I've spent the whole morning to delete the fonts that installed on recent days (including the one I installed earlier this week, BEFORE I bought and install Affinity Designer), I found that the program freeze issue still exist. Then I had the A.D. program removed, reboot my PC, then re-install the program again. But the situation seems didn't change a bit! Seems the problem is far more worst than I expected  :huh: . Since I found some of the old setting still exist after I re-install the program, is there a way to completely removed A.D. from my PC so I can make a clean re-install? Also I hope the A.D. team could spot out the cause of the bug and roll out a fix asap.

Hey DanLau,

We barely write any registry information so the majority will be held in your AppData folder under Affinity. You can clear/delete this however I do not believe it will make any difference to the issue you are having.

Perhaps deleting the recent fonts isn't enough. Did you follow my advice to helloworld above and cut/paste fonts alphabetically in groups to another folder to see if you can narrow it down? We are obviously tripping up and we would be happy to fix the issue with the offending font if you can track it down.

Hi all. Sorry for the long absence of my reply due to a work trip and a long Chinese New Year holiday here in Hong Kong. I had a newly formatted notebook running win 7. With just the system default fonts setup, I tried to install Affinity Designer and run it. Sadly the freeze problem still occurs when I press the font selection menu and scrolling down. To be more specific, first when I press down the font selection acts normal. But then when the scrolling reaches the fonts begins with "L", it acts like kind of lagging. the menu got freeze a while when reaching "M" (e.g. MS UI Gothic) and become totally freeze at the near end of the "M" listing.

I suspect the only difference between my machine and those using world-wild, is that (1) I'm using a Chinese language OS environment and (2) I have some system fonts that are in Chinese. I had print a list of my default system fonts for your reference:

ahronbd.ttf
andlso.ttf
angsa.ttf
angsab.ttf
angsai.ttf
angsau.ttf
angsaub.ttf
angsaui.ttf
angsauz.ttf
angsaz.ttf
aparaj.ttf
aparajb.ttf
aparajbi.ttf
aparaji.ttf
arabtype.ttf
arial.ttf
arialbd.ttf
arialbi.ttf
ariali.ttf
ariblk.ttf
batang.ttc
browa.ttf
browab.ttf
browai.ttf
browau.ttf
browaub.ttf
browaui.ttf
browauz.ttf
browaz.ttf
calibri.ttf
calibrib.ttf
calibrii.ttf
calibriz.ttf
cambria.ttc
cambriab.ttf
cambriai.ttf
cambriaz.ttf
Candara.ttf
Candarab.ttf
Candarai.ttf
Candaraz.ttf
comic.ttf
comicbd.ttf
consola.ttf
consolab.ttf
consolai.ttf
consolaz.ttf
constan.ttf
constanb.ttf
constani.ttf
constanz.ttf
corbel.ttf
corbelb.ttf
corbeli.ttf
corbelz.ttf
cordia.ttf
cordiab.ttf
cordiai.ttf
cordiau.ttf
cordiaub.ttf
cordiaui.ttf
cordiauz.ttf
cordiaz.ttf
cour.ttf
courbd.ttf
courbi.ttf
coure.fon
couri.ttf
cvgafix.fon
cvgasys.fon
daunpenh.ttf
david.ttf
davidbd.ttf
dokchamp.ttf
ebrima.ttf
ebrimabd.ttf
estre.ttf
euphemia.ttf
framd.ttf
framdit.ttf
frank.ttf
Gabriola.ttf
gautami.ttf
gautamib.ttf
georgia.ttf
georgiab.ttf
georgiai.ttf
georgiaz.ttf
gisha.ttf
gishabd.ttf
gulim.ttc
himalaya.ttf
impact.ttf
iskpota.ttf
iskpotab.ttf
kaiu.ttf ----> Traditional Chinese font (Use mainly in Taiwan and HK)
kalinga.ttf
kalingab.ttf
kartika.ttf
kartikab.ttf
KhmerUI.ttf
KhmerUIb.ttf
kokila.ttf
kokilab.ttf
kokilabi.ttf
kokilai.ttf
LaoUI.ttf
LaoUIb.ttf
latha.ttf
lathab.ttf
leelawad.ttf
leelawdb.ttf
lucon.ttf
lvnm.ttf
lvnmbd.ttf
l_10646.ttf
majalla.ttf
majallab.ttf
malgun.ttf
malgunbd.ttf
mangal.ttf
mangalb.ttf
meiryo.ttc
meiryob.ttc
micross.ttf
mingliu.ttc ----> Traditional Chinese font (Use mainly in Taiwan and HK)
mingliub.ttc ----> Traditional Chinese font (Use mainly in Taiwan and HK)
modern.fon
monbaiti.ttf
moolbor.ttf
mriam.ttf
mriamc.ttf
msgothic.ttc
msjh.ttf
msjhbd.ttf
msmincho.ttc
msuighur.ttf
msyh.ttf
msyhbd.ttf
msyi.ttf
mvboli.ttf
nrkis.ttf
ntailu.ttf
ntailub.ttf
nyala.ttf
pala.ttf
palab.ttf
palabi.ttf
palai.ttf
phagspa.ttf
phagspab.ttf
plantc.ttf
raavi.ttf
raavib.ttf
rod.ttf
roman.fon
script.fon
segoepr.ttf
segoeprb.ttf
segoesc.ttf
segoescb.ttf
segoeui.ttf
segoeuib.ttf
segoeuii.ttf
segoeuil.ttf
segoeuiz.ttf
seguisb.ttf
seguisym.ttf
serife.fon
Shonar.ttf
Shonarb.ttf
shruti.ttf
shrutib.ttf
simfang.ttf ----> Simplify Chinese font (Use mainly in mainland China)
simhei.ttf ----> Simplify Chinese font (Use mainly in mainland China)
simkai.ttf ----> Simplify Chinese font (Use mainly in mainland China)
simpbdo.ttf
simpfxo.ttf
simpo.ttf
simsun.ttc ----> Simplify Chinese font (Use mainly in mainland China)
simsunb.ttf ----> Simplify Chinese font (Use mainly in mainland China)
smalle.fon
sserife.fon
sylfaen.ttf
symbol.ttf
tahoma.ttf
tahomabd.ttf
taile.ttf
taileb.ttf
times.ttf
timesbd.ttf
timesbi.ttf
timesi.ttf
tradbdo.ttf
trado.ttf
trebuc.ttf
trebucbd.ttf
trebucbi.ttf
trebucit.ttf
tunga.ttf
tungab.ttf
upcdb.ttf
upcdbi.ttf
upcdi.ttf
upcdl.ttf
upceb.ttf
upcebi.ttf
upcei.ttf
upcel.ttf
upcfb.ttf
upcfbi.ttf
upcfi.ttf
upcfl.ttf
upcib.ttf
upcibi.ttf
upcii.ttf
upcil.ttf
upcjb.ttf
upcjbi.ttf
upcji.ttf
upcjl.ttf
upckb.ttf
upckbi.ttf
upcki.ttf
upckl.ttf
upclb.ttf
upclbi.ttf
upcli.ttf
upcll.ttf
utsaah.ttf
utsaahb.ttf
utsaahbi.ttf
utsaahi.ttf
Vani.ttf
Vanib.ttf
verdana.ttf
verdanab.ttf
verdanai.ttf
verdanaz.ttf
vga950.fon
vijaya.ttf
vijayab.ttf
vrinda.ttf
vrindab.ttf
webdings.ttf
wingding.ttf

Thanks for sending those over. Sadly I still can't reproduce it with those fonts. I imagine I might need the entire font library. If you are willing to spend time zipping the entire folder up I can provide you with a link (to keep it private) to upload them to if you don't have enough space on Google Drive. I'll go through them in groups to see if I can track it down.

Let me know if you wish to proceed. Sorry about all this  :unsure:

Hey, I think I've made progress.

• A crash happened when I added fonts beginning with G and scrolled through the list. I assume this may be due to the font names having a long underscore.
  • A 2nd crash happened after adding fonts beginning with R. Again, some of them have long underscores in the name

There are other fonts that have an underscore in the font name that didn't crash. Now that all the fonts are installed, it will not crash.

I do get freezing going through the font list. I think at this point, the app will either recover or crash. In your case, it seems to be crashing. I'm going to see if I can get dev to run it on a debug build to get more info. 

Would be great to know if anything ever became of this.  Mine only started happening after the most recent upgrade in which all my fonts already existed and worked without issue.  Now if I click the drop down, it locks up and I lose any unsaved work.  For now what seems to be a quirky work around is to change from "all fonts" to something like "favorites" and come back and then it doesn't lock up.

I also recently started using Affinity Designer and it crashes everyt ime it click on the font selection dialog. I suppose this might be because I have a lot of fonts, but maybe you could add “Font preview” as a preference? This way it wouldn't crash the app. Thanks.

[edit]

Strangely enough, I just noticed it does not crash when using the character panel to change the font. Only if selecting via the main toolbar. Hope this can help someone else ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Edited by seblavoie
noticed something new

I'm experiencing this issue on macOS High Sierra (10.13.6) as well. No other application has trouble with the fonts installed on the system so while the issue may originate there, it's definitely a failure on Affinity Designer's part in handling the fonts.

Trying to switch by the character change panel causes the same issue as the main toolbar: pinwheel.

This makes Designer unusable for design work. Any ideas to fix this asap?

** Does not happen on same system in Affinity Photos.

I've already reduced additional fonts down to minimal. That leaves core macOS fonts + a few selected for work.

Edited by marknca
Added verification that it doesn't happen in Affinity Photos

Hi folks. I had similar issues, and I wanted to share how I solved the problem on Windows.

I found some excellent font management software called High-Logic MainType. The free version found and pointed out the corrupted fonts on my system, and pointed out a "font registry issue", too (who knew?). I was able to delete the fonts myself, and use the free included trial fix to fix the remaining registry issues. After a reboot (which is a critical step when messing with the Windows font directory), I was able to get Affinity Designer working!

Also, I found that my system performed better. So I went and used the tool to clean out my fonts - removing about 40% of them. After another reboot, I found more performance improvements in all software that has font selection (e.g. MS Office, Affinity, Adobe). So I purchased the software, because it's clearly something I need to do, and the new version of Windows makes font management difficult. So far, I'm really happy with this tool!

This is not the first piece of graphic design software to run into issues with dodgy fonts. Corel (Serif/Affinity), and a whole host of other Windows software vendors have a long history of not quite getting this right (I remember installing this stuff from floppies... we had the same issues back then!). I would advise Serif devs to look at how Paint.NET handles it, as it's open source, and it does a good job. *shrug*. Otherwise, rock on Affinity! Hope this helps :) And don't forget to support good software devs!

On 7/13/2018 at 9:36 PM, marknca said:

I'm experiencing this issue on macOS High Sierra (10.13.6) as well. No other application has trouble with the fonts installed on the system so while the issue may originate there, it's definitely a failure on Affinity Designer's part in handling the fonts.

Trying to switch by the character change panel causes the same issue as the main toolbar: pinwheel.

This makes Designer unusable for design work. Any ideas to fix this asap?

** Does not happen on same system in Affinity Photos.

I've already reduced additional fonts down to minimal. That leaves core macOS fonts + a few selected for work.

I 'do' get this problem in 'AP'!!

Really could do with a solution. Driving me mad!

MacPro (late 2013), 24Gb Ram, D300GPU, Eizo 24",1TB Samsung 850 Archive, 2x2Tb Time Machine,X-t2 plus 50-140mm & 18-55mm. AP, FRV & RawFile Converter (Silkypix).

I'm having the same problem. Been an AF user for many years but today I cannot edit a text box without it crashing. Unusable, will have to use different software to complete my work.