Stokestack

Snapping to guidelines is inaccurate.

Hi all.

I was perplexed when I drew half a logo, snapping all of its right-side line ends to a vertical guideline; then mirrored it horizontally and expected the new half to line up correctly. It didn't. The centerline nodes of the two halves were offset horizontally by a tiny amount, so after I'd combined the shapes and tried to delete the redundant (overlapping) nodes down the center (along the guideline), the geometry was messed up (no longer symmetrical).

I attached a screen grab of the apparent bug in action. The node snaps to a phantom vertical line to the right of the guideline. I've ensured that none of the object's geometry extends beyond the guideline, to make sure that it wasn't snapping to the object's right boundary.

My theory is that the calculation of the position of the right boundary is slightly inaccurate, causing it to differ from the position of the guideline.

Anyone else notice this?

Thanks.

bogusSnapping.mov

Hi Stokestack

It's difficult to see as you are quite zoomed in on the video but the 'phantom' lines seems to simply just be snapping to the spread (indicated by the green snapping line extending above and below the object). Try turning this option off in the snapping manager and it should snap to the guide fine

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

I've been increasingly frustrated by this bug & " slightly inaccurate " is absolutely correct. Snapping to grid cannot be relied upon (for accuracy) in Affinity Designer. You will often find 0.3 mm offset here there and everywhere even in simpler drawings. I've read in older posts where it was suggested that one should fiddle with snapping tolerances & toggle about with check boxes but to be honest, if the software states "snap to guides & grid " then it should do just that .... not sometimes. Note, when using power duplicate on a complex object and the snapping was perfect first time .... you might well find that the third duplicate has shifted off of your custom rotation point center 0.3mm!!! whoa, you are in for a shock when trying to fit mock up parts together, totally unreliable sadly. btw, Occasionally AD gets it right, but the checking of all points & correcting faults is too much. Still looking to ver. 1.6 for a fix. but moved back to Inkscape for accuracy.

Agreed, and it's still not fixed: 

Snapping exactly to a grid just doesn't work properly. Try this. Create a grid with pixel divisions of 10. Turn off all snap options except snap to grid. Make some objects that are exactly 100 pixels square and move them around. Snap will snap in between the grid even though it's been told not to, and worse than that the width or height of the objects will change by some small amount of pixels as you move them around. This bug is really very annoying, it's impossible to be accurate to the pixel or any other measure  in Affinity at the moment.

Hi rsi.studio and ParanoidAndroid,
[EDIT] Thanks for your report. I've been able to replicate the issue here but only in certain circumstances (high zoom levels/low tolerance). The more you zoom in, the more chances it has to fail if the tolerance is set to a low value. Increasing the tolerance will ensure the objects will snap to the grid again at higher zoom levels. Note you can enter/input a higher value that the one allowed by the slider (50). So if it's till failing at the usual zoom levels you work with just increase the tolerance up to a point where you can't make the snap fail.

On 17/09/2017 at 4:22 PM, MEB said:

Hi rsi.studio and ParanoidAndroid,
[EDIT] Thanks for your report. I've been able to replicate the issue here but only in certain circumstances (high zoom levels/low tolerance). The more you zoom in, the more chances it has to fail if the tolerance is set to a low value. Increasing the tolerance will ensure the objects will snap to the grid again at higher zoom levels. Note you can enter/input a higher value that the one allowed by the slider (50). So if it's till failing at the usual zoom levels you work with just increase the tolerance up to a point where you can't make the snap fail.

Increasing the tolerance to a a much larger value than I would usually think about does seem to alleviate the issue quite well. :) 

Perhaps at least Affinity could use a higher value by default?