You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

guides lines move with Arboard !

Here is a screen cast that shows the horror Designer does to guides when adding new artboards.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byzv_NlyKp_2RVNQWm1PRTdIWEU/view

it feels to me that this are needs some serious love as it seems to break things a lot.

when when adding an artboard do the guides move?

the guides have a tool for precise position yet I have no control over what art board they are in.

it is an interesting idea to glue guides to art boards but the quick vid shows some of the current

shortcomings.

I rather would prefer global guides that can run across the canvas not artboard

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design  -  Chair Interior Design - Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen - product:interface:design

the guides have a tool for precise position yet I have no control over what art board they are in.

Guides are always applied to the currently or most recently selected artboard. In the Guides Manager their coordinates are listed relative to the top left corner of each artboard. In other words, each artboard has its own set of guides, independent those of any other artboard.

Since artboards can be positioned anywhere in the workspace & be of any size, global guides would not be very useful except when the artboards are aligned in the workspace, nor would the percent display mode of the Guides Manager be of much use -- the workspace is arbitrarily large so what percent of that would it show? (Imagine four or five artboards, all of different sizes, staggered at different locations in the workspace to see what I mean.)

That said, there is a bug I noticed: sometimes when I move an artboard around in the workspace, its guides do not move in the display until I select some other artboard & then that artboard again, or change the zoom or pan or otherwise force the display to update. However, this seems cosmetic only -- objects in an artboard still snap to its guides even if the guides are not displayed in their actual location.

Also, I noticed in your video that your artboards were empty -- your "Layer1" & your two image layers were not placed in any of them in the Layers panel, so no artboard guides would apply to anything in those layers. When you created the first artboard, it looks like the app was showing you the guides from your Layer1 (before the workspace was converted to artboards), which I think is why you got that weird display at about the 0:37 second mark -- those guides were the ones for Layer1, which is not attached to any artboard. So with nothing selected, it was showing you the guides (previously?) attached to that layer. Normally, something would be selected (the last used artboard if nothing else), but when you deleted artboard 2, you triggered another cosmetic bug like I described above. When I tried this, clicking on any of the artboards or on any layer not attached to an artboard set things right again, with guides shown only for the selected items that had them.

So aside from these cosmetic bugs, I think this works as expected. Remember that artboards are objects just like anything else in the workspace. They can (& usually do) have 'child' layers & their own guides. They can be duplicated, be targets for snapping or aligning with other artboards, & so on. Objects (including layers with children) can be converted to artboards (via the Layers menu > Convert Object To Artboard). They are 'global' in the workspace but 'local' in all other respects, so to speak.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7