You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How can I preview pictures in fullscreen mode ?

Firstly and importantly, let me preface the following by saying how happy I am using Affinity Photo as a new user. So many great features and such an incredible bargain. My hat goes off to the development team and everyone at Affinity for what they have achieved.

With regard to the aforementioned 'full screen' mode however, I must say that I was both a little surprised and also disheartened to see that this basic feature, which at this current point in time, was apparently requested over three years ago, has not yet been implemented into the Affinity application(s). it makes one wonder when or if it ever will be? 

But for whatever it's worth, let me also add my support for the inclusion of a true 'full screen' (user interface-less) mode within the Affinity suite, or at least within Affinity Photo (to achieve more parity with Photoshop).

I will add that as an ex semi-advanced Adobe user, I was pleasantly surprised at just how many features Affinity were already able to match with the vastly more expensive Photoshop.

However, that only makes the omission of what would appear to be rather a relatively simple feature to implement, all the more puzzling. Especially, since the somewhat related 'tab' functionality to hide some parts of the UI (toolbars and panels) etc. 'has' effectively been 'emulated' from that other well known software. I guess the question is, why not go all the way and also include the completely 'full screen' (i.e. zero UI clutter / no menus) that is offered in that competitor?

If this is more complicated than it would seem to actually implement, then apologies for my ignorance. However, it just seems like a no-brainer to add to Affinity's already stellar applications.

This would be a very appreciated feature to many users, especially to those migrating over from Adobe to Affinity (since it has been a staple feature within Photoshop, since as least far back as I can remember) and Affinity have already gone at least 'part' of the way, with the existing 'tab' mode.

Here's hoping  some future user isn't reading this in another three years time and still requesting this.

Thank you.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

will fullscreen mode ever be available in Affinity?

I think it is a really basic option in design programs to have that extra space available. I have been using Affinity since the beta before the official launch and I have been missing it since. The Toggle UI option is just not enough.

Other softwares have had this feature for a long time. Is there any technical obstacle for this?

Thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Please implement full screen image preview! In addition, pressing Ctrl+0 doesn't really maximize the image within the view port. It leaves some margin around the image. I would love to have an option to fully maximize the image without any margin. Also, when using Tab to toggle between the pseudo full screen mode and regular mode, it will be more useful to automatically maximize the image without having to press Ctrl+0. Thank you.

• 2 months later...

Do you really ignore the requirements of users (Windows) for quite a basic and used function for 4 years as Affinity team? I really don't get it anymore. Years ago, I also made a request, and I deliberately went to be surprised at how things had changed over the years.

So that's not a good sign. 🥵

IH: Photo, Designer, Publisher

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2021 at 12:25 AM, pxp said:

I cant believe there is no fullscreen mode in AF Photo!! Im using fullscreen mode in PS all the time to evaluate my design without having the UI in the eye all time ... Its a very simple feature - but super important imho! Please consider adding it asap.................

Of course, every designer should have the ability to preview their work-in-progress, full screen, without having to export it as and then view it in a separate image-viewer application.

This is so obvious, that it is baffling how the programmers of this software have not included this for Windows users.

Judging by the date this request was first posted, it's now at least three-and-a-half-years waiting for a features which comes with most free image editors as standard.

I think this Affinity team don't care about Windows users, as Mac OS apparently has a system which lets them view the application full screen.

So the team have chosen to simply ignore their Windows customers, because their Apple customers are already served with this function.

This is unacceptable.

4 hours ago, Adios Adobe said:

Of course, every designer should have the ability to preview their work-in-progress, full screen, without having to export it as and then view it in a separate image-viewer application.

Why? Both screen sizes & resolutions vary greatly, so what a full screen preview on one device looks like is not necessarily even close to what it would look like when viewed at full screen size on another device.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 6/26/2021 at 8:48 PM, R C-R said:

Why? Both screen sizes & resolutions vary greatly, so what a full screen preview on one device looks like is not necessarily even close to what it would look like when viewed at full screen size on another device.

It doesn't mean, if you obviously don't understand the requirement, that it's not important to many graphic designers in different fields.

Of course, it doesn't matter what the aspect ratio of the image and the display experience. That's what the simple function of adjusting vertically or horizontally is for. See a nice sample of video players. 
But it's mostly about a lot of artists simply clicking and switching to fullscreen of their work. This way we have to laboriously download the output and open it in e.g. FastStone, ZPS, ACDSee and other media viewers. 

The odd thing here is that the developers ignore the Win clients requirement and this feature is common in all competing editors. Why it's not in Aff Photo even after more than 3 years, I just don't understand. 

And someone from Sherif, also out of courtesy, could respond here on this topic and give a relevant explanation.  😳🥺😤

12 minutes ago, Moddo said:

That's what the simple function of adjusting vertically or horizontally is for.

What prevents you from doing that in Affinity?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 minute ago, R C-R said:

What prevents you from doing that in Affinity?

I mean of course in fullscreen mode. Which doesn't exist. ;)

It is possible to save and run it in the browser. But it's a long process. Especially game developers are used to this feature.

But simply, any other reasons aside, what if. 
Why don't they do it and ignore the requesters for so many years when even stupid old Corel PhotoPaint has it, major Photoshop has it since the old versions and in a way Gimp can solve it. On macOS it works more because of the native OS feature. 

Why the hell can't it be in Win. 

Not to mention, and I don't know development code for Affinity Photo but I'm also a developer and this is not a complicated issue.

6 minutes ago, Moddo said:

I mean of course in fullscreen mode.

So if the document is shown  in fullscreen mode, how would you know by how much you are actually adjusting its size vertically or horizontally? Why not just do that using the tools & views already provided in the app?

Affinity Photo 

3 hours ago, R C-R said:

So if the document is shown  in fullscreen mode, how would you know by how much you are actually adjusting its size vertically or horizontally? Why not just do that using the tools & views already provided in the app?

Try the apps in question and you'll definitely get the hang of it, or try google and youtube. I'm tired of explaining to you something you evitently don't understand. The important thing I think is that the thread is for like minded people, so I don't understand what you are actually doing here if it doesn't concern you. I think you'll find better support for a different and constructive discussion on a different topic. To me, this looks like trolling. Hey, I'm done. 

8 minutes ago, Moddo said:

Hey, I'm done. 

Before you go you might consider posting to the Feature Requests forum, hopefully after reading the blurb there about what to post & where.

Affinity Photo 

15 hours ago, Moddo said:

And someone from Sherif (sic), also out of courtesy, could respond here on this topic and give a relevant explanation. 

They could but I don't think they should - discussing futures always seems to degenerate into multipartite arguments.  The apparent current policy of saying nothing is frustrating, but it's probably the best option.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

In Affinity Photo I, too, am missing dearly the view options Photoshop has given us (by simply pressing the F key) for decades by now – especially the preview mode where you just see your image against an otherwise black background (and you can still zoom in or out).

I really thought it was sort of a nobrainer to have this in an image editing program. (BTW: even InDesign as layout program has this).

• 10 months later...

I agree, being able to preview in full screen is very handy.
I have written a small utility to do just that.

https://afp-fullscreenpreview.sourceforge.io
Short Demo: https://youtu.be/h7YzDgH0DMg

It's an AutoHotkey script. It's pretty simple. In essence, it clicks Photo's 'Copy Flattened',
then launches IrfanView in full screen mode as a clipboard viewer.

PREREQUISITES:
https://www.autohotkey.com/ (get the 'Current Version', v1.1.x)
https://www.irfanview.com/ (get the 32bit version)

INSTALLATION:
After installing the prerequisites above, extract all files into a new folder somewhere. Click on the script file (AFP_FullScreenPreview.ahk) and a new icon should appear in the System Tray. A shortcut will be created in your Startup folder so the script will start automatically each time you log on. This behavior can be turned off in the .INI file.

USAGE:
With Affinity Photo in the foreground, in the Edit persona with an image open, pressing the hotkey (F11) should 'Copy Flattened' the current selection (or the whole image if there is no current selection) and then launch IrfanView in fullscreen mode with the preview.

• 8 months later...

I'm not sure if I understand this topic correctly – do you miss the functionality that corresponds to repeatedly tapping the "F" key in Photoshop which eventually lets you view the current canvas/image just against a black background (on a Mac at least)? Although I didn't use it too frequently back in the day it used to be nice to have nevertheless. So an equivalent would actually be nice in Affinity Photo as well.

• 2 months later...

So many people asking for a feature like this since 2017... and still nothing... :/

A "fullscreen mode" is an absolute MUST for a an app like Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher (imho). I use Photoshop since many many many years now and when the fullscreenmode was added to the app I first thought "who the hell needs that..." ... but boy ... I was wrong :D I learned to love this feature very fast - and use it a lot in my daily work.

It is really very difficult to assess a design objectively when the UI is constantly in the picture.

Please, Affinity, listen to your customers and add this feature asap! Adding this would upgrade the app from a 9/10 ... to a 10/10 app - and it would become a REAL alternative to PS & Co ...

Cheers!