You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How can I preview pictures in fullscreen mode ?

In OSX just click the full screen button in the left upper corner of the document window, or press cmd-ctrl-F (Yosemite or later). Photo of course will not fill screen this way, it stays zoomed as it is and you have to zoom to fit (cmd-0) (which still leaves margins...).

I'm on Windows and can't find any fullscreen button or key combination to enter a fullscreen mode. You can hide some controls by pressing tab but it's not a real fullscreen mode with the picture fully stretched to fill the screen.

When I press tab the screen looks like below. Is this the fullscreen mode you talked about Fixx ?

post-41310-0-60985100-1484491772_thumb.png

I'm on Windows and can't find any fullscreen button or key combination to enter a fullscreen mode.

That's because Full Screen Mode is a view mode provided by OS X, not by the Affinity (or any other) app. Not all Mac apps support Full Screen Mode but essentially all of them written or updated for recent OS X versions do. As explained here, it can be accessed in several ways, but all are specific to OS X, like by clicking on the green 'traffic light' icon in the app's window. Unlike in Windows where each document has its own menu bar attached to its window, in OS X all apps share the main menu bar at the top of the screen, so there probably is no exact Windows equivalent, but since I do not use Windows I am not sure about that.

Note as shown in Fixx's screen shot, in this mode there is no menu bar at all. It can be accessed by moving the pointer to the top of the screen & briefly hovering it there, but that means there will be a short delay before anything on the Affinity main menu bar (File, Edit, Text, Layer, etc.) can be accessed. So unless users can get to everything they need using keyboard shortcuts, it is not an ideal mode for most Affinity workflows.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Well, I made a feature request in the request forum :)

I am sure the Affinity developers want to provide feature parity between OS X & Windows wherever possible, but since what you are asking for is basically for them to duplicate a system level service provided by OS X itself on another, very different OS, it does not seem likely this will happen, at least any time soon.

Mac users enjoy a few application level benefits like this provided almost "for free" by OS X, but then Windows users also get a few things Mac users do not, most notably touch screen support in Windows 10. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I am sure the Affinity developers want to provide feature parity between OS X & Windows wherever possible, but since what you are asking for is basically for them to duplicate a system level service provided by OS X itself on another, very different OS, it does not seem likely this will happen, at least any time soon.

Mac users enjoy a few application level benefits like this provided almost "for free" by OS X, but then Windows users also get a few things Mac users do not, most notably touch screen support in Windows 10. 

OK, but I still want to preview designs I make for games and videos fullscreen fast and easily.

• 1 year later...

I love this application, on Windows as well as on iOS. It has sooo many cool features and a great UI. But lacking support for a fullscreen-mode on Windows?? Honestly: screen real-estate is THE crucial aspect when it comes to any illustration program. So please, Affinity Team: let's develop a real full screen (pressing F11 is standard). For now, pressing TAB has to do...

• 2 months later...

I am  checking a trial version of Affinity Photo on Windows 7. I immediately realized that I am missing a full screen preview mode. Every now and then during the edit I am used to quickly switch to a full screen, so to preview my work and escape back to continue editing. In a full screen mode I would expect an easy option to quickly zoom to 100% and back, as well as to compare "before" and "after" images. I think that many Windows photo editors support this function, such as Capture NX-D, Photoshop, Elements ... 

Somewhere I've seen this suggestion for Win 10, though didn't tried and thus don't know if it really works then ...

If you switch to tablet mode, your Windows apps automatically start in full-screen mode. You can switch back to the window mode via the buttons in the window bar. You can activate the new mode in different ways:
  • Info Center: Open the Notification Center with the shortcut keys [Windows] + [A] and click on the button "Tablet Mode".
  • Settings: Start the settings with the key combination [Windows] + and click on "System". In the "Tablet Mode" tab, set the switch to "On". Here you can also activate the mode directly at the start.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It is simply an essential function to implement, displaying the work in full screen helps a lot in certain situations. In other software like Photoshop and already implemented.
Please add this opportunity to both Photo and Designer and Pubisher.
Thanks and good job!

2 hours ago, Renx-78 said:

It is simply an essential function to implement, displaying the work in full screen helps a lot in certain situations.

Just curious but in what situations would that be an essential function? Unless the resolution & aspect ratio are exactly the same for both document & screen the display will be neither 'actual' nor 'pixel' size.

Affinity Photo 

• 9 months later...