jer

AD Crashes Regularly

Win 10, AD 1.5.1.43

AD crashes regularly with no particular reason that I can tell - what I mean by that is at the time of the crash I wasn't doing something I've done that caused a crash before. IOW, repeatability isn't a concern, just lack of stability. Attached is what I was working on this time: HSL color-changing of a grouped set of objects, the orange crayon top left. The file is a previously saved 850KB that I had re-opened to edit. AD lasted about 15 minutes this time.

post-37528-0-80686000-1484417891_thumb.jpg

The one area of repeatability for crashing is to just open AD and let it idle in the background while you attend to some other program, open a Word document, edit an Excel spreadsheet, send an email, whatever. Without returning to AD, a popup will announce the program has crashed (while in the background) and needs to close. I may not even have had a file open within AD when this occurs.

Edit to add system info:

System:

post-37528-0-47248400-1484505603_thumb.jpg

Memory:

post-37528-0-93516000-1484505602_thumb.jpg

Display:

post-37528-0-35067600-1484505602_thumb.jpg

♥  WIN 10 AD & AP  ♥  Lenovo Legion Y520 15.6" Laptop

I've been having the same problems since day one, randomly crashing when doing various tasks. It is hard to get repeatability on the crashing, but there is an area for me as well where it seems to happen when zooming and panning with the mouse scroll wheel. However, this isn't the sole cause of the random crashing, and doesn't occur every time I pan and scroll.

Same with Win 10 AP 1.5.0.45.

Here is a crash today while using the Inpainting Brush tool. This is the 2nd crash on the same image trying to use the Inpainting Brush on the same area. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but, if so, don't crash, just tell me.  

post-37528-0-48534900-1484501521_thumb.jpg

Edit: After 3 AP crashes, thinking maybe it is a memory issue, I took single swipes with the Inpainting Brush instead of covering the napkin completely. AP tolerated it for 3 swipes then crashed. Also several of the swipes resulted in really poor inpaints and large spots where no inpaint resulted. You an see this in the 2nd attachment.

post-37528-0-66086400-1484502440_thumb.jpg

Still in AP for Win 10, a while later I tried the inpainting exercise again on the same (but now cropped) image and this time, while dragging the brush, all of Win 10 crashed. Don't see that happen with Win much anymore (since Win 7 anyway). See attached. The common denominator in all these issues is an Affinity program.

post-37528-0-53582200-1484515146_thumb.jpg

Hey jer,

That crash is related to your graphics card from what I can tell. The spec of your machine is fine (thanks for including them) so I suspect it might be a driver issue. Have you tried updating them recently?

Can you go into Preferences > Performance and switch the Renderer to WARP and then try the steps again to see if it crashes?

Hey jer,

That crash is related to your graphics card from what I can tell. The spec of your machine is fine (thanks for including them) so I suspect it might be a driver issue. Have you tried updating them recently?

Can you go into Preferences > Performance and switch the Renderer to WARP and then try the steps again to see if it crashes?

Chris, I took some hours to try your suggestions. I learned that my graphics/display driver was already up to date. I don't think I have a graphics card in this unit; I think it is built-in Intel. Maybe an issue right there.

So I switched the renderer to WARP, whatever that means, and retried the same document. When the document is a jpg the inpainting brush did not crash AP anymore and inpainting worked somewhat, although with unattractive results. I saved the jpg as an Afphoto and tried again. This time the inpainting brush appeared to be processing but when finished, left the image without any pixels modified. IOW, the unwanted object remained. I reviewed the inpainting video again and I was doing everything like the trainer. Extremely weird. However, still no crashes. Yea.

So I opened AP Help to see if the inpainting brush only works on photo-format files, not afphoto files, but no info about that so I closed Help with AP remaining open. Then I decided to re-open Help to see what it said about the Renderer and Warp. CRASH!  AP died!  I'm at a loss.

I will say this: Adobe CS4 programs do not crash on my PC. CorelDraw & Photo do not crash on my PC. I have been running them since 2014 (Win 8.1 initially, Win 10 now) on this PC and no crashes. Just the Affinity pgms crash... and often. I'm still wondering about memory as a suspect. Maybe it could be allocated better for AD & AP on my PC, but I'm not experienced in that issue or how to adjust it. And like I say, the other programs are fine the way it is. And there is no hog like Photoshop, right?

I have regularly crashes with AD too!

Default graphic card on board Intel HD Graphics 530, i'v changed that to WARP but crashes continued. I can't reproduce scenario 'coz this happen with various scenario, sometime when use text to path, sometime when pan zoom etc.

Oh i forgot to mention that whole system is freezing when AD make crash

Windows 10 with latest updates

Lenovo ThinkCentre

8 GB ram

256 GB SSD

Intel graphics 530 on board

You could try the latest customer beta to see if that improves general stability. I'm not overly convinced if it is a memory issue, as far as I know, we handle memory allocation as well as Adobe on Windows. I think we even do it better on the Mac...

Do you have any crash reports you could attach? It might be worth checking the Windows Event Viewer too.

Hi Chris, this link is for Affinity Photo not for AD!

Actually my fault. I started out talking about AD, then decided I was having the same trouble with AP, and ran with the AP example. I caused the confusion, Chris B has just been trying to follow me and be helpful. Apologies.

@ Chris B. Thanks for the try-the-beta suggestion but I've got to get some work done so I'll wait for when the beta becomes an available version. Appreciate your effort so far.  :)

Hi, I also having the same problems. Look like a problem with Intel HD graphic cards. :-( 

Lenovo ThinkPad T440

Processor: Intel Core i5-4300U

Grafic: Intel HD Graphics Family (driver version: 20.19.15.4501)

Hi, I also having the same problems. Look like a problem with Intel HD graphic cards. :-( 

I'll grab one of our laptops with Intel HD Graphics in it and report back. Thanks for your input TomDick. 

The laptop seems fine. I left it on overnight and came back to it this morning and I haven't had any crashes. I'm just installing the beta that was released yesterday evening. Can you all try the beta as it has a huge amount of stability fixes and let me know how you get on. Thanks! 

It always happens with an interaction. If I do nothing, it also runs for hours. However, it is not dependent on a particular action. By the way, since day one of the Beta. Sorry that I haven't reported before. I'll try the current beta.

The customer beta crashes immediately after I clicked on Pen Tool. So it is unusable for me, I need that tool at most.

Error Code: 0x80004002

2017-01-19%2013_55_10-Affinity%20Designe

@ TomDick - We just discovered this issue this morning - we'll get this fixed but you can do a reset to resolve this. Just hold Ctrl down when you launch the app and click Clear. Please note that if you have any custom brushes or keyboard shortcuts etc. you should watch this short video on how to back them up. Sorry for the trouble  :unsure:

That's works. I only use the standard keyboard shortcuts, so it isn't a big deal for me. I can test it now and will respond if everything fine now.

PS: Thx for that great support

We just discovered this issue this morning - we'll get this fixed but you can do a reset to resolve this. Just hold Ctrl down when you launch the app and click Clear. Please note that if you have any custom brushes or keyboard shortcuts etc. you should watch this short video on how to back them up. Sorry for the trouble  :unsure:

Chris, are you referring only to the Pen Tool problem reported by TomDick? Or are you referring to all the posts in this string?

What can I say,

Photo and Designer still freeze all computer after all this updates since 17 January 2017 when I post first time this problem.

I'll try 100 times to change display settings, update driver, downgrade driver, update windows, update Draw and Photo...

With every new update I hope that it will work, but when use application random freezing continue over and over.

Does anybody read this?