FantasticMrFox

Several Nik Plugins Crashing Ap

Using Affinity Photo 1.5.1 on a Mac.

I reinstalled the free Google Nik collection today (I had it installed before, but it disappeared after the 1.5 update). Made sure I followed all instructions carefully, authorised globally etc. AP Preferences show Analog Efex Pro 2 and Color Efex Pro 4 as 'Working', the rest is marked as 'Unknown'.

Analog and Color Efex do, in fact, work, and so do Silver Efex and HDR Efex. But Dfine, Viveza, and the two Sharpeners just crash. I know others have reported Viveza crashing when setting a control point, but for me it already crashes when simply trying to open it. Affinity Photo just closes in an instant, and I get a macOS message that it quit unexpectedly.

I was under the impression that all of the Nik plugins are supposed to work in AP 1.5 (with some bugs still to be sorted out)?

Additionally, when opening the filters that do work, I get a prompt to buy them, or initiate the 15-days demo. That is despite the Nik collection now being free, and me having downloaded the files after they became free.

I would be grateful for any advise :)

Hey FantasticMrFox,

I've just reinstalled the NIK collection and for some reason it is also asking me to buy. Last week before I reinstalled I wasn't getting this issue. I forgot you need a "/" in the 'Plugin Support Folders' section. Just click "Add" and then "OK" and it should remove that splash screen asking you to buy it or use the demo. 

Having said that, I don't experience the crashing. I'm going to need a bit of time to look into this but I just wanted to let you know what I'm seeing at the moment.

Hey FantasticMrFox,

I've just reinstalled the NIK collection and for some reason it is also asking me to buy. Last week before I reinstalled I wasn't getting this issue. I forgot you need a "/" in the 'Plugin Support Folders' section. Just click "Add" and then "OK" and it should remove that splash screen asking you to buy it or use the demo. 

Having said that, I don't experience the crashing. I'm going to need a bit of time to look into this but I just wanted to let you know what I'm seeing at the moment.

Hi FantasticMrFox,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Go to menu Affinity Photo ▸ Preferences, Photoshop Plugins section and make sure you pressed Authorise Global button on the bottom right then pressed Authorise again from the dialog that will open.

Thanks for both of your replies.

The plugin support folder is already set to '/', and I have already authorised the plugins globally (the option is now greyed out). The splash screen (demo now at 13 days) and crashes happen despite this.

Would it make sense to either 1) reinstall Affinity Photo from scratch, or 2) delete and redownload and install the Nik Plugins (I am currently using the same files I downloaded early last year), or 3) do both?

Hey FantasticMrFox,

First, ensure your settings like like what I have attached. If it still isn't working, try uninstalling the NIK collection with the proper uninstaller and try again. I don't think uninstalling Affinity will make much difference. 

post-46-0-89782300-1484575884_thumb.png

Okay, so believe it or not, after simply uninstalling and reinstalling the Nik plugins, everything works as it should. Including setting control points in Viveza, manipulating them, and having the effect applied after clicking 'Ok' to close the plugin.

The only issue I see is that the colours of the large preview in Viveza are completely off (see attached image), whereas the colours in the loupe view on the right more closely match the actual ones in the image in AP - they are still off though. When I apply any Viveza edits to the image, it looks like I would expect it to look after the edits, so it's just an issue of Viveza not displaying the image properly (which makes it hard to see what you are doing).

post-28132-0-25634800-1484594778_thumb.png

Hi FantasticMrFox,

Glad to know you've sorted it out.

The issues you are describing with Viveza are already known (more info here).

Ah, good to know. I thought the only Viveza problem were crashes upon trying to use control points.

Anyway, thanks for the very quick and helpful replies. In my opinion this forum, and the way Affinity staff help out people like me and actually listen to and try to implement user suggestions is one of the things that make this software so awesome  :)

Nik Color Efex Pro 4 is crashing my Affinity Photo App (version 1.6.7).  I am running Mac OS High Sierra.  It starts to load, the bar getting about halfway along before it crashes.  It is shown as 'working' in  Preferences>Plugins.  The other Nik plugins work OK.