trajanmcgill

ORF (Olympus) raw file strangeness

I love the interface and what it looks like I can do with this software. However...it's severely crippled for me right now in how useful it can be to me, because it can't seem to deal quite properly with the raw (ORF) files from my Olympus E-PL2. Here's what I'm seeing upon importing one of my files into Affinity Photo.

1) The pixel dimensions are wrong. Camera manual tells me that in the mode I'm in, I'm shooting 4032 x 3024 images. Adobe Camera Raw agrees. Affinity Photo, however, thinks the image is 4096 x 3084. There is clearly extra material in the photo as compared to what the in-camera JPG and Camera Raw are giving me.

2) Most or all of my raw images have, at least when zoomed to certain levels, a thin solid line displayed along the left side. I don't think this is making it into the image itself, but not sure...it might just be a UI display artifact of some kind.

3) I was sure I had seen on a few shots a clear issue of bowed lines, although I can no longer find the images where that was clearly visible, and am not sure which lens I was using for those shots.

I don't know what could be accounting for this, but I'd sure like to start being able to make use of this for developing raw images. The fact that it isn't even producing a file of the right dimensions makes me unsure how much to trust anything else that's going on in interpretation of the ORF file.

Forum doesn't seem to want to let me attach an ORF file, but I guess I can find a way to provide a sample file if needed.

In order to be able to attach one of your ORF files (which would enable other users and/or the developers to test it) try zipping the file (so it then has a .zip extension).  The forum should then accept it.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, AMD Radeon R7 360 and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher.

Ok, thanks. Attached is a ZIP file containing the output from my camera. I shot RAW+JPG, so you can see both the camera-generated JPG and the ORF file. I'm seeing the following:

1. The camera-generated JPG measures 4032 x 3024.

2. Adobe Camera Raw CS5 treats the raw file as representing a 4032 x 3024 image.

whereas:

3. RawTherapee 4.2.1 treats it as 4088 x 3076.

4. Affinity Photo treats the raw file as a 4096 x 3084 image.

My guess would be that there is some kind of data embedded in the raw file that indicates either what part of the sensor data to use, or lens correction info, or perhaps data about how the in-camera jpg was created, that Affinity Photo (and RawTherapee) is not reading or handling the same way (although the latter two differ even from each other, and I don't know why that would be).

Is there a good explanation for this? Or is it a bug, or a lack of proper recognition of the lens being used? If I have to do a slight crop on every single image just to get down to what I saw when composing the shot this is going to be a potentially burdensome raw processor. It's not a ton of extra data, but it's enough to leave in something I was trying to keep just out of the edge of the shot, and it isn't even the same aspect ratio.

Thanks for your assistance.

Camera Output.zip

Oh, and I forgot to mention: the vertical line I was talking about appears when opening this raw file in Affinity Photo and zooming to 36%. For other photos, I can see it at the fit-to-window size.

Couple of things: I actually don't know for sure but I wouldn't be surprised the lens-corrections that are 'written in the RAW file' are not applied or not properly. This can maybe cause the 'bowed lines' you were talking about.

I could compare one of these days with my cheap 17mm f2.8. It has huge distortion when you're looking at the image uncorrected. But since the jpeg engine auto-corrects it and Adobe Camera Raw auto-corrects it, you might not notice it was there before.

The pixels _are normal_. This has been explained somewhere else, but different raw converters can have (slight) different output in the number of pixels. Around 16 to 24 pixels wider (or less wide) and higher (or less high) is normal. What happens is that the outer most pixels of your sensor are unused by the jpeg engine in your camera. So they crop the image over-so-slightly to get the image dimensions you are used to. Adobe Camera Raw crops the same.

Affinity Photo doesn't crop these most outer pixels, hence you get a few more pixels than what you're used to. It's all still correct. That output size depends on the algorithm in debayering.

That 'solid line' you're talking about doesn't happen on my OM-D E-10 files (same sensor I guess? No clue about older m4/3 camera's to be honest). But Affinity Photo does have the habbit of showing a line on the left or on the top on certaim zoom scenario's. It looks like the pattern of a transparent background, but just one pixel wide or one pixel high. It's a rounding error in the zooming and Photoshop has it too on my system (so it might be videocard related). Everytime I doubt about it I zoom in a bit to see if the line 'is real or not'. If not, I ignore it.

The extra pixels have been covered here (thanks jorismak). The white line is just a display artifact from the renderer and doesn't appear on the export so I wouldn't worry to much.

When developing RAW files by default we do apply Lens Correction, so this would account for the lack of a bowed line you thought you saw. If you prefer not to have this Lens Correction then it can be turned off in View > Assistant Manager: Develop Assistant.

When developing RAW files by default we do apply Lens Correction, so this would account for the lack of a bowed line you thought you saw. If you prefer not to have this Lens Correction then it can be turned off in View > Assistant Manager: Develop Assistant.

He said the problem was he saw bowed lines which should not be there, and other raw converters are not showing. In other words, other raw converters are applying distortion correction, Affinity Photo isn't in this case.

The thing is, on my Olympus ORF files, the 'baked in' lens corrections are applied no matter what (while in DxO I can clearly see the 'uncorrected' image if choose to do so).

So yay, a good thing, Affinity Photo seems to use the 'lens-correction-in-metadata' in ORF files. But bleh, bad thing, you can't disable it.

For what it's worth, you can't disable it in CameraRaw... if you enable 'lens profile corrections' or not, you'll always get a corrected view. And the nasty thing in ACR is that it corrects the lens by making the image smaller.

No matter what I try, I get a 3:2 image (from my 4:3 sensor..) in CameraRaw (resized to 1200 long side, I get 1200x800), while DxO gives me 1200x900 and Affinity Photo gives me 1200x897. DxO seems just a bit better corrected, bit less distortion around the edges. Colors are way different between the 3 (the blues in this case), but that's to be expected. CameraRaw tries to let the camera behave to their 'adobe standard' color-look, while DxO and Affinity Photo let the camera be their own thing.. but then DxO has some lightning corrections applied automatically so the colors can of course be different because of that :).

most uninteresting picture ever, just snapped in the building near some strong lines with a cheap lens that has quite strong distortion if you don't correct it: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AgtoBEiLfbmcpl-Opm-b_M2J_Imk