You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Select options > 'include partially encompassed objects' and 'hover-highlight'

Sharing this comment from reddit/r/graphic_design:

First impression: Confusing. At the moment you really need to include the whole vector shape in a marquee to select it, when you usually (read: in Illustrator) just mark one tiny bit of it to select the whole.

Could be a keyboard modifier or what might be better for migrating users is an option in Preferences. The same user also suggested hover-glow or similar hover selection aid.

Twitter: @Writer_Dale
Affinity apps run on: Ryzen 5 3600, 32GB RAM, GTX1650 Super

• Staff

We already have this as a modifier... :)

During your drag, try holding down Ctrl and you should suddenly find that anything that touched your marquee will be included in the selection... just like Illustrator. I can't say I particularly like this mode though because I far too often get too many things in my selection?

Not sure why I didn't find the modifier, perhaps my key press timing was out - there is some inherent lag with Space key for pan tool switching etc too. I tried all the obvious keys as DP has a modifier too.

I'd have thought a long term Illustrator user might get fed up using a modifier, is a Preference setting a possibility? How about using that keyboard modifier to exclude the first object clicked on? If that's already covered too I'm off to read the Help system...

• Staff

How about using that keyboard modifier to exclude the first object clicked on? If that's already covered too I'm off to read the Help system...

Haha - RTFM! :P We already have a modifier to stop selection of the object you're currently over - try holding Alt then starting your drag :)

Ha fail... I guessed there was more to it than first exploration, but Alt and Ctrl don't seem to work together so there's room for improvement there at least? I still think it might be clunky for migrating Illustrator users, modifying something as frequently used as marquee select behaviour probably deserves a preference rather than a keypress. 

And how about hover highlight for the select target?

Although I haven't filtered them particularly well, these questions came from an Illustrator user that tried Designer and found it confusing. Modifying the user is an option rather than modifying Designer, you guys have the awkward job of striking the balance!

• 4 weeks later...

I get the idea behind it, selecting more than you want happens a lot in AI.

But now it seems like selecting the thing that you need is getting harder, might be the getting used to the program...

I'd throw the modifier around, drag select everythings / always and alt select to select less.  :)