You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text are not exported as text during PSD export.

Hello

I exported an affinity file as PSD. I opened it with photoshop cs6 and tried to edit the text. It seems i can't edit the text as it was not exported as editable text.

Same was the case for import but it was solved from Preference option.

Is there a way to export text as text for PSD? Most of my client will not PSD export as they don't have AD.

Follow me: Instagram | Dribbble

Hi Zunaid

It's not possible to export to a PSD with editable text. It is something our developers are hoping to improve in the future. 

From an UI/UX designer's perspective i think the best would be to integrate with web tools like avacode, sympli, invisionapp inspect etc.

That would cut down the need to produce PSD. Because i need to export as PSD to give it to my clients so that they can get attributes. As most people don't have AD. I wish they did.

It would be nice if it's done quickly. This is for now seems to be the only reason keeping me from completely ditching Adobe. If it's get done then i won't need Adobe at all. 

I will write a post about it.

Agree, psd is, want it or not, a standard format between agencies and we can't ignore it.

Agreed. Affinity has the potential to kill both Illustrator and Photoshop. 

Sketch almost destroyed Photoshop which led them to create Adobe XD.

Sketch did so by integrating with web tools like zeplin and using plugins. As a result clients or developers don't even need PSD files even if they don't have sketch.

Affinity can do the same thing. Plus there should be a standard where all apps converge.

Thread moved to the Feature Requests section. I've also added this to the Common Feature Requests list.

Thank you for this. But as i mentioned above. From a UI designer's perspective integration with web tools like Invisionapp, Zeplin, avacode would be better. As then it would reduce many people (specially UI designers) relying on PSD export.

Also i think there is some problem with "gradient" too when exported to PSD.

These types of problem will keep coming and only way to solve is relying less on PSD.

Indeed - this proved an unpleasant surprise to me today. Mocking up a website in Designer and will need to hand off to my programmers as a psd file with editable text. This missing feature is a big disappointment. And given how highly Affinity touts the interoperability with photoshop/illustrator it really blindsided me.

I don't regret my purchases of photo and designer at all! Great software and I look forward to needing CC programs less in the future. But I don't like that I now need to recreate my design in photoshop.

Hi Adam_D,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

This will be added in a future version. It may take a while because it's not something easy to achieve but we do intend to add it when possible.

I understand the difficulty but it would be better if you guys can integrate with web tools like Zeplin, InvisionApp, Sympli (i think it's on work according to their website) or avacode even before text. Then we won't need this feature that desperately.

Text is sadly the only thing that is keeping me from using Affinity for my works. I think there is a problem with gradient also when exporting to PSD. I have to double check that.

Which one is more easier adding the text feature or integrating with web tools?

• 1 month later...

I've been hit by the inability to export PSD with editable text too, but one temporary solution/alternative is to export as a PDF to retain editable/selectable text. Hopefully developers have a copy of Illustrator along with Photoshop, otherwise they can open PDF in Acrobat/Preview if they need to select and copy the text.

I've been hit by the inability to export PSD with editable text too, but one temporary solution/alternative is to export as a PDF to retain editable/selectable text. Hopefully developers have a copy of Illustrator along with Photoshop, otherwise they can open PDF in Acrobat/Preview if they need to select and copy the text.

Thank you for the idea.

• 2 years later...

vote++

One my major issues is creating spec documents for developers. Obviously currently this is not available in affinity designer.

However there are various companies that offer the ability to create design specs from PSD files. Which is great, because I can at least export the psd from Affinity Designer.
However, the text is being rasterised during export so none of the font-color, font-size information etc is available in the spec. 

As a work around, I have exported as pdf, and then used photopea. A free tool, that will import the pdf, and export as PSD, with the fonts. I then use this generated psd to generate my Design Specs. 

Edited by Glennweb